Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle wings
Chaddy

posted on 25/2/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle wings

Does anyone know where I can get cycle wings with the correct radius for 195/50/15 tyres, they all seem to be more for 17 inch.

Cheers
Chaddy

Gordy

posted on 25/2/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
i got csr style carbon wings from "carbon mods" they will supply to fit radius of your tyre, not cheap but nice quality items
2cv

posted on 25/2/11 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought of making them in aluminium? Not too difficult and the great thing is, they will be exactly the size you want.

This is another part that you can make using just hand tools.

Chaddy

posted on 25/2/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea, what thickness would you use, do you have any pictures of any you have made.

Cheers
Dave

2cv

posted on 25/2/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,

You could use NS3 18 gauge which is about 1.2mm thick. NS3 is quite a tough alloy but reasonably easy to form. Alternatively 1050A pure aluminium in 1.5mm would be okay too. The edges of the finished wing would need wiring but this isn't too difficult and I did cover this with some pictures here; linky

If you are unsure how to proceed, I'll be very pleased to show you how to form the wing and get rid of the crinkles around the edge. If you let me know if this is of interest, I'll get some pictures posted next week.

Chaddy

posted on 25/2/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks 2CV, I'll have a look over the weekend.
Cheers
Dave

slingshot2000

posted on 25/2/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would be very interested in seeing this information, too!
I am planing to try more and more of this sort of thing and appreaciate any knowledge that more experience people are willing to share. I will look forward to following this, thanks in advance.

Regards
Jon

2cv

posted on 28/2/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
There are a number of ways to make a front cycle wing in aluminium and no one way is the right way. It is just a question of finding which way suits not only the individual's skills but also the tools available.

This is one way using a Hammerform. I've deliberately made the radius 8 inches which is probably 50% smaller than would be needed for a normal tyre. Here's the start;

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 28/2/11 by 2cv]

2cv

posted on 28/2/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Here are a few pictures showing how you could go about making your cycle wing. I used 18 gauge 1.2mm 1050A aluminium and I think with anything thicker you might struggle. With the aluminium clamped firmly in place, the edges are tapped over.
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
The panel is removed from the hammerform.
The general shape, finish and radius together are improved with a slapper and dolly. (Can do nothing without them!)

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Further work was done using a body file to take off the highs and show where the lows were. Further planishing raised the lows followed by more with the body file.
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Further work is needed to finish followed by trimming and edge wiring. The end result could look similar to a Caterham wing or made to be very individual.

I hope these pictures show the general idea of achieving the curves and will perhaps encourage people to have a go themselves. I only used the tools that everone has in their workshop and the cost of the aluminium would be well under a tenner so, truly Locost!

p.s I've just noticed that Westfield sell their plastic wings for £89 each.

2cv

posted on 13/3/11 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
It might make the job easier if the edges of the aluminium are annealed beforehand. I used 1.2mm 1050A which wasn't too bad to work but if a harder or thicker material is used, anealing would certainly be a good idea. By the time the wiring stage is reached, the edge should be sufficiently work hardened to allow a nice sharp flange to be thrown.
2cv

posted on 14/3/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just another thought; instead of using G clamps which do get in the way when hammering down the return, it might be easier to join the two radiused ply profiles together transversely and then pull them down using a strap around the centre. This will then allow full access to the edges making the shrinking operation much simpler. The crinkles should be carefully worked out to avoid folding over to make a double thickness. The idea is for the metal to shrink back into itself.
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 15/3/11 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote

i tried a different approach.

i had 2 fibreglass arches which were getting tired and i felt were too wide slightly.

so i chopped the sides off them leaving a bonding face to bond 1.2mm ally to. used sikaflex type glue stuff. overnight is rock solid.
reason i didnt use ally for the sides is its a right faff on to form it if you havent the time to do it or lack the skill to do it right. suppose it could of been done like 2cv has done [i applaud you by the way - fantastic job as i know how hard that is for a beginner]

the arch in the pic is just in matt black primer so far to see what it would turn out like. once im happy with what iv created ill do the other one.

2cv

posted on 15/3/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
It looks really good, well done. I mentioned right at the beginning that there are many ways to to arrive at the same destination and it is just a question of finding the way that suits you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.