Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slipping clutch
edsco

posted on 2/3/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Slipping clutch

Hi all,
I have a 57 plate new style mondeo, done circa 66k miles. The clutch seems to have started to slip. I know this due to the engine racing disproptionate to my speed when accelerating. Whilst I accept the clutch might be on it's way out due to the previos owner being a prolific caravaner (no offence to all u caravaners out there!) but is there anyway the clutch can be adjusted to eeekk a little more life out of it? Appreciate I don't want to wear it too thin cause might damage fly wheel but just seems a little premature to be going at just 66k miles. Thoughts?

edsco

prawnabie

posted on 2/3/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Unless the pedal isn't returning fully there is no adjustment on hydraulic systems + you might as well change the flywheel or get a solid flywheel conversion.

[Edited on 2/3/11 by prawnabie]

[Edited on 2/3/11 by prawnabie]

Mark G

posted on 2/3/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
66k isn't too bad for a clutch if its been a tow car. As above, no adjustment available. Just get it done sooner rather than later or you risk more damage / total failure.
edsco

posted on 2/3/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. More money to Ford then! Question... What exactly is a solid flywheel conversion? Advantages/disadvantages. Affects on performance? Relative cost to stock replacement?

edsco

Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/3/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Try bleeding the clutch. Wifes car was slipping I couldn't get the gearbox off and got the hump. Stuck it back together, bled the clutch and it went for another year. Don't ask me why tho

Be careful it's probably got a dual mass flywheel = expensive.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

adithorp

posted on 2/3/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Why more money to Ford? Find yourself a reliable independant (by recommendation rather than trial and error or flashy adverts) and save yourself 25-50%. You'll probably get to speak to the same person who does the job, rather than a receptionist who thinks a clutch is some sort of handbag.

Prawnabie is refering to replacing the dual-mass flywheel with an old style solid one. Beware of this though as there's been a spate of broken cranks as a result. The replacment has been done for a while but it seems like the problem is just starting to surface.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

steve m

posted on 2/3/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, great, so ive got about 33k left on my mondeo, and we tow a caravan sometimes
snapper

posted on 3/3/11 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
My 03 plate Mondeo has just eaten a starter motor due to metal fillings from the dual mass filling the starter motor gear box.
Dual mass flywheel next but I intend to get a garage to do it as it is the mother of all jobs to do yourself.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/3/11 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Oh, great, so ive got about 33k left on my mondeo, and we tow a caravan sometimes

Lol that's what happens when you tow a big unaero dynamic lump behind a car. Things wear out quicker!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 3/3/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Towing normally isn't a problem with clutches unless the previous owner was hard on clutches anyway or he/she was towing a trailer that was either way too heavy or the trailer brakes were stuck on. Some drivers can destroy a clutch in 5,000 miles without towing anything.

If when the starter is removed there is any sign of debris on the starter then a new flywheel is required there is a solid flywheel conversion available for these which can be bought as a complete kit with the clutch.

speedyxjs

posted on 3/3/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
66k aint that bad. Iv changed clutches on a cars that have barely done 50k before with no caravanning!!! Also done a couple of vans at around 40-50ish but they were thrashed most of their life!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

JeffHs

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
77k and still towing with 03 TDCi. Thought clutch was shot 3 years ago when reversing the van into an awkward pitch in Cornwall, but it's still fine.
britishtrident

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
66k aint that bad. Iv changed clutches on a cars that have barely done 50k before with no caravanning!!! Also done a couple of vans at around 40-50ish but they were thrashed most of their life!

Back in my Rootes dealership days we had two women customers that went through Imp clutches at the rate of two or more per year. We also had a customer who used to tow start artic tractor units with a Hunter estate

adithorp

posted on 3/3/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Back in my Rootes dealership days we had two women customers that went through Imp clutches at the rate of two or more per year. We also had a customer who used to tow start artic tractor units with a Hunter estate

I've had customers who go through 3 clutches a year... and only did less tha 1500 miles a year It's something they suddenly start doing and usually signals the end of thier driving days.
No point telling stories of Hunters to Speedy... they're long before his days!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.