Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Argghh! Fuel pipe! AGAIN!
David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Argghh! Fuel pipe! AGAIN!

Wandering towards the shower this morning, I was greeted by a frantic shout from the missus downstairs - "There's an awful stink of petrol in the garage".

Went outside (after dressing!) to see a steady drip, drip, drip of fuel from under the car. This meant that I had to undo and remove the boot box, check where the leak was (it was the bit of flexible hose that joins the tank to the hard fuel pipe) then drain the tank. As I had well over half a tank and only two 5-litre petrol cans I had to go out for a long drive to 'waste' a fair bit (which was actually a nice drive... ).

Now I have to find some fuel hose that will resist modern unleaded fuel without decaying...

This it the third time this has happened to me - am I the only one who has this problem?

MakeEverything

posted on 6/3/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Went outside (after dressing!) to see a steady drip, drip, drip of fuel from under the car. T

quote:
As I had well over half a tank and only two 5-litre petrol cans I had to go out for a long drive to 'waste' a fair bit (which was actually a nice drive... ).

Us Motorcyclists Love motorists like you!!

[Edited on 6-3-11 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry - I wasn't losing very much - it would have been one tiny drip every 100 yards. It probably evaporated in the breeze before it got to the road!

I wouldn't have gone out if it had been more than that.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Been doing some research - this was interesting and very relevant...

VolksBolts

r1_pete

posted on 6/3/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you're talking small bore, 6 - 8 mm, I've found the hight pressure injection hose best, FI & unleaded became commonplace about the same time, so it seems properly compatible. 4 x the price but does last.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 6/3/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Always best to use high pressure IMHO, the braided stuff you can get appears to go soft I haven't heard a good think about the stuff. I used 8mm copper pipe with the smallest pieces of rubber I could to connect to tank and carbs

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

RazMan

posted on 6/3/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I used the braided Nitrile lined stuff which seems to last well (5 years so far) but did recently notice a bit of a leak due to overtightening the Mikalor clamps so I changed them to Mikalor Spring Clips and all is ok again.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like SAE J30R9 is the grade I need to find...

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
To the best of my knowledge Raz is indeed correct.

Nitrile is the fuel proof rubber used. However, nitrile decays with UV light so fuel
pipe is made with an inner layer of nitrile, then a reinforcing braid, then a layer
of different rubber on the outside. Stainless braid may then be used over the top.

In tank hoses need to be nitrile / braid / nitrile.

err, possibly.

Cheers
Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently SAE J30R9 hose has a fluorestomer lining - whatever that is...

norfolkluego

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wandering towards the shower this morning, I was greeted by a frantic shout from the missus downstairs - "There's an awful stink of petrol in the garage".

You let your wife in the garage, the inner sanctum of blokeness, where chaps wear their overalls with pride, where we have our own language and culture

We're doomed, doomed I'm telling you, we'll be wiped out like those tribes in the Amazon now they've found us.

PS never had your problems probably beacause we're always tinkering with it and changing stuff.

[Edited on 6/3/11 by norfolkluego]

flak monkey

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used Codan Fuel hose in mine. Available from various motorfactors off the reel. Never had a problem with it

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RazMan

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I used Codan Fuel hose in mine. Available from various motorfactors off the reel. Never had a problem with it

That's the stuff - really flexible but capable of running at 12 bar IIRC

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego

You let your wife in the garage, the inner sanctum of blokeness, where chaps wear their overalls with pride, where we have our own language and culture

We're doomed, doomed I'm telling you, we'll be wiped out like those tribes in the Amazon now they've found us.

I allow her one small corner for the tumble dryer and freezer...

Never heard of Codan - will have to do some searching.

UPDATE: just searched for Codan, and they declare their stuff to be SAE J30R7 - almost as good as R9, according to some sites.

UPDATE 2: ThinkAuto's catalogue shows J30R9 in 8mm - I plan to give them a call in the morning.

[Edited on 6/3/11 by David Jenkins]

paulf

posted on 7/3/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think Codan was one of the manufacturers that had a problem when unleaded was first introduced.I had some that perished in a couple of places and have replaced it all since the car has been on the road.I also had a Citroen that suddenly sprang a leak under the tank and that had nearly completely disintegrated, i bought some new fuel pipe for that and it was colored green as suitable for unleaded but never seen any green fuel pipe since.
Paul

David Jenkins

posted on 7/3/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a interwebby link that said that Codan Rubber had gone bust... LINKY

Any road up, I've ordered 2 metres of Think Auto's finest 30R9, which is 25 times less permeable to alcohol (ethanol, etc) than 30R6, which is what Halfords sell (I looked today). It's also 6 times less permeable than the commonly available marine-grade hose (ISO7840A1) - but not as fire-resistant as the marine stuff.

I also went around some auto supply places today - it's disgraceful what they're flogging as fuel pipe. If their stuff was marked at all (many weren't) it was the old BS standard, which is even older than 30R6. It might have been suitable in the 1980s & 1990s, but as much use as a chocolate teapot for modern petrol that contains a percentage of ethanol & other manufactured bio-fuels. IMHO, of course!

britishtrident

posted on 7/3/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
injection hose or buy some polyflex pipe and fittings from an LPG supplier.
David Jenkins

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
injection hose or buy some polyflex pipe and fittings from an LPG supplier.

All of the hose I've looked at is injection hose - most being sold generally is either of very old spec, or completely unlabelled.

I can't comment on polyflex pipe as I've not seen it, but as LPG doesn't contain any form of alcohol I'd be very wary about it.

Danozeman

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Iv got high pressure fuel injection hose on mine. Never had a problem touch wood.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

paulf

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has injection hose and copper pipe on the high pressure side but the fuel return to the swirl pot through the tunnel is nylon pipe.The nylon would do for all the system apart from the difficulty in making high pressure joints.I fitted it as it was a temporary measure until i could fit a copper return line through the tunnel when converting to injection but it has been there ever since.
Paul

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.