Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pillar drill light bulbs?
David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Pillar drill light bulbs?

I have a Clarke pillar drill from Machine Mart. It's a decent and useful tool that gives me good service.

There's just one problem - the lamp used to illuminate the table is a heavy-duty 60W 240v ES filament bulb, which is getting hard to find these days. Halfords have 240v bulbs for inspection lamps, but they're bayonet. The only ES bulbs they have are 12v.

So - does anyone know a source for the right bulbs, or have I got to start looking for a tough 240v LED bulb? The other economy bulbs (with the fluorescent tubes) won't survive the vibration.

BTW: I know that I could fit a 12v transformer into the lighting circuit, but I'm reluctant to hack the machine's wiring. I could also change the socket to bayonet - but it's in an inaccessible place in the drill's frame.

[Edited on 16/3/11 by David Jenkins]

PSpirine

posted on 16/3/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked your nearest large tesco? I'm certain they had them.

Alternatively.. one of these jobbies? Edison Screw to Bayonet Cap Light Bulb Adapter ES to BC on eBay (end time 20-Mar-11 15:36:34 GMT)

blakep82

posted on 16/3/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
ikea i think is where my mum used to buy them, but you'll struggle to get 60w bulbs anywhere now...

or how's a pack of 25 from screwfix?
click

[Edited on 16/3/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've used 2 bulbs in 10 years - 25 bulbs might be a bit excessive!

I have found a few on-line suppliers so the situation isn't a total failure, but the P&P often costs more than the 2 bulbs I'm after (one for immediate use, 1 spare) or the supplier only offers them in minimum orders of 5.

That adaptor would put the bulb out of the frame, and into harm's way...

[Edited on 16/3/11 by David Jenkins]

westf27

posted on 16/3/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
light bulbs direct do them

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
light bulbs direct do them

Good link - but 2 bulbs = £2.30, after P&P & tax = £8.48!

I'll have to try a few places in town tomorrow...

SteveWalker

posted on 16/3/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Although most incandescent bulbs have been removed from sale, I'm pretty sure that rough service bulbs are not banned, so you should be able to get them somewhere.
PeterV

posted on 16/3/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Don't like using fluorescent tube type bulbs in pillar drills, this type of bulb throws little or no shadow and makes finding centre dots and the lilke damn hard. LED ones work if you use the ultra bright daylight LED's, in fact a my guys like these alot.
rgrs

posted on 16/3/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Try your local cef or newey's both should carry them as stock items.

Failing that try clark's parts department, they sent me stuff for my lathe at very minimal cost.

RS will only sell packs of 10 but at 89p a lamp it should give you a few years usage for the same price as eBay

Although I also have a Clark pillar drill that should be fitted with a lamp I have never bothered, I just overkilled on the main lighting
My workshop is now like a summers day even in the depths of winter.

Roger

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
A LED bulb is probably the ideal solution - almost cold, and reasonably resistant to vibration, but I'm not prepared to pay over £30 for a direct equivalent. A cheaper LED bulb is going to require the replacement of the socket and re-wiring, which I'm trying to avoid.

The low-energy fluorescent equivalent is going to be fragile under vibration, and also any fluorescent is bad illumination for moving machinery - it can work like a strobe light and make things look like they're stationary.

At the moment I'm using an old Anglepoise lamp fixed to the wall, but that shines in from the side and isn't as good as the original lamp, which lives just behind the chuck.

There is a Newey's in Ipswich, so I'll have to visit...

David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Good ol' Newey & Eyre! 3 bulbs ordered this morning, collect on Monday (didn't have them on the shelf today). £1.32 each. They'll probably last until either the machine dies, or I do!

B&Q were charging just under £6 for 2, for an equivalent with a bayonet end cap.

[Edited on 18/3/11 by David Jenkins]

02GF74

posted on 18/3/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
4/6/8/10 white leds wired up in paris as in bridge rectifier and a couple of drop resistors.... cheap as chips.

I'm gearing up to replace the halogen work lamp with LEDs .... will get round to it one day ......

Peteff

posted on 18/3/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought screw in LED bulbs on ebay for a light on our stairs. It's a 240 volt E27 fitting and cost 99p with £2.19 post from Honk Gonk and took under a week to arrive.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.