Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb ID
Dan.

posted on 20/3/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Carb ID

Hi all after purchashing a pinto for my project IVA (i plan to change the engine after IVA to something more exciting when time/funds allow) I looked through the haynes book of lies for what / how i need to connect everything as i know nothing about carb'd engines. Anyway looking at the haynes manual the carb I have appears nothing like the one in the book. The engine is a 205 block. Anyway pics below, can anyone help ID it? I have more photos but for some reason they will not upload to the archive?

[Edited on 20/3/11 by Dan.]

tegwin

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Its the standard carb of the 1.6 pinto isnt it!? Granted, the one I had was missing some of the stuff bolted on the outside of it.,.. but similar... the haynes manual has two carbs listed.... that is one of them I seem to recall...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Dan.

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
It l;ooked similar to the smaller carb of the 1.6 but not the same iirc, unfortunatly my book is at the unit so cant double check. If it is the 1.6 carb will there be an issue running it on the 205 block? I don't car about power just that it runs.
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
yeah that's not the 2ltr carb (I have that) your missing the accelerator pump

on the driver side of the engine casting should be the size of the engine cast into the metal mine says 2.0 for example

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dan.

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
its a 2 litre as its a 205 block... having googled it I think I have spotted why it looks different... I think the carb might be bolted on the wrong way round if thats possible?

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have the cortina manual here and it's not the 1.6 one either. What I suspect is that orginally it would have been the terrable Ford VV carb that was just awful and that someone may have replaced it with another cars type. You'll need to clean it a bit to find out the make but all the numbers will be on it. But as to if it is jetted to run on that engine, I have no idea

The bottom looks the correct way round. Looks like a later engine going by the distributer as it has that alloy housing. What's it out of, Sierra?

ah here it is Weber DFTM

[Edited on 20/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dan.

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Was listed as being from a sierra on ebay presume thats correct... Just want to get the stupid thing running so i can finish the car and get things sorted for the IVA so the propper engine can go in
Dan.

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
just looked on ebay it looks like the webber 30/34 DFTH listed here eBay Item

next issue is converting it to manual choke...

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
yeah looking on the web you are right

dead easy to get going, connect to fuel pump, connect pipes or wires to auto choke (housing on left side), get you throttle connected and pour 1/3 of a cup of petrol down the carb and turn it over. Should start almost instantly

[Edited on 21/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Dan.

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
only problem is im missing the electrical side of it to make the auto choke work, will the choke just be disengaged if not connected? and some other bits looking at the pics...

[Edited on 21/3/11 by Dan.]

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
nope choke defaults to on and needs power to turn off. that side of it looks more complex than normal, I think you need to find out what the wiring is to it

the best carb for you engine if you could stretch your budget to it would be a weber 32/36 DGV they are very easy to set up, give reasonable fuel consumption and good performance plus they are manual choke. That's what I use on my pinto.

linky

[Edited on 21/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Sellsie

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Carb ID

The single wire connecting to the choke was powered by an extra out put wire on the alternator or could be ignition feed. This wire heats up a coil and winds the choke off.

The other big block connector was for idle speed control. It connected to a stepper motor and gave electronic idle control.
You should be able to rip this lot out and rig up a normal linkage without any problems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.