Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: transporting a chassis
johnq

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
transporting a chassis

Hi , can anyone tell me if a chassis could be transported on my focus roof bars, unfortunately i dont have acces to a van at the moment and dont want to fit a towbar,???????

looks like rain again

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
not sure about a Focus but thats how I got my MK chassis home on the 406, didn't even notice it was there. Just make sure you spread the load across the roof bars. I strapped wooden planks to mine and then sat the chassis on those.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
i tried to transport my chassis on my mondeo roof but due the chassis already having the floor plate it was too heavy. most roof racks wont hold over 60kg or this was the case a few years ago when i got mine back from the fabricators.

i hired a car trailer for £20 for the day.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macc man

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I personally would not risk it. Apart from damage to your car roof, your insurance would probably be invalid.
There must be someone on here who can help you out?

designer

posted on 21/3/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I would borrow/hire a small trailer and strap the chassis on top of it.
blakep82

posted on 21/3/11 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
small trailer, or if you haven't got a tow ball, hire a van

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I made a locost trailer for my chassis!

A few pieces of steel section, combined with the trailer hitch, suspension units, wheels and mudguards from my little camping trailer. Added a number of brackets to locate the chassis, fixed a trailer light/numberplate bar on the back and off I went. Worked really well, too!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/3/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Put my chassis on the roof. No problem. 2 people can left it easily enough. Although 3 or 4 is safer.

Get couple of ratchet straps and some zip ties.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

James

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I carried my 10% bigger chassis on the roof of Mums 405 home from where I built it.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Eternal

posted on 21/3/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted my Haynes roadster +135mm strech into the back of a Transit LWB no probs at all cost 45quid for the day.
devans414

posted on 21/3/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I transported my Westfield chassis on the roof of my Ford Focus, forgot it was there until an 'emergency stop' on the motorway tipped it forward into my line of vision. Some extra zip ties and I was on my way again.

Just make sure you SECURE it properly, you should be fine. I asked a similar question before I moved the chassis and general thoughts were it would be fine.

scutter

posted on 22/3/11 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
Properly strapped it won't be a problem, It's how I got mine back from the powder coaters.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

wormscoffer

posted on 22/3/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
The roof bars on my present Freelander are quoted with 60Kg capacity. The Focus I had before had roof bars with a capacity of 75Kg so you should be fine.
iank

posted on 22/3/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
... your insurance would probably be invalid...

Why? shorter than a canoe and if it's a bare chassis less than 75kg so within the rating of ford roof bars (at least the genuine Ford Mondeo ones)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/3/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Properly strapped it won't be a problem,

ATB Dan.

Properly Strapped??????? And then that picture?????

You've run the strap though the doors and around the roof. That is not properly strapped, there is too much compression in that system that would allow the straps to come loose. Whether or not you made it home fine is irrelevant as that is not properly strapped, also were is the longitudinal securing to stop the chassis working its way back and forth? And I'm sure the police would say the same thing.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.