Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine starting/running problems
Miks15

posted on 21/3/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Engine starting/running problems

Hi guys,

Im home for a couple days so decided to have a go with the engine again. I have had it running off a gravity feed and it ran OK then.

Now i have the fuel pump on (GSXR600 pump and carbs on 1.6 BMW engine) and it wont start up. But then when we disconnect the pump and crank it it fires up within a couple turns. It wont rev though, and if we connect the pump again after a few seconds it dies.

So this makes me think that its overfuelling for some reason. I tried clamping the fuel pipe a bit right before the carbs to restrict the fuel but made no difference.

At the minute its running with no airbox will this have any sort of difference? Can anyone shed any light on what might be going wrong with this? IM a little confused right now.

Cheers

bartonp

posted on 21/3/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Try running the pump into a bucket (no smoking etc) & see what you get.
You could even time it to get a flow rate in l/sec.

Assuming you've tried the obvious of inlet/oulet hoses swapped?

Phil.

deezee

posted on 21/3/11 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
If it was over fuelling, you'd smell it! You need to do some basic fault finding. Disconnect the carbs from the pump and test the pump is actually providing fuel. Then check out the hoses and then the bowls on the carbs.

Miks15

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
by swapping inlet outlet hoses i assume you mean if it was a fuel inj? Im running carbs so only an outlet on the pump.
I will try finding a l/min, what sort of figure should i get? Its a gsxr600 carb pump.

What do you mean by i would smell it? As in i would smell too much fuel? I have check the bowls before and all seems ok, and floats are all moving and closing off OK.

If its not overfuelling does anyone else have any idea what it could be?

alawrence

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like your sucking and your blowing are mixed up.....oooh matron
deezee

posted on 21/3/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
When bartonp asks you to swap inlet outlet hoses, he's asking you to check its actually pulling fuel out the tank and not blowing air into the tank. Just disconnect the hose before it goes onto your carbs and run the pump. Make sure its flowing fuel.

Miks15

posted on 21/3/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh right im with you, But its an in tank pump so only the outlet (hence why i got confused )

It is definatly flowing.

Another thing is the filter (mounted vertically a couple inches before the carbs) only fills half up, but there is still fuel coming out of the end, is this normal?

The arrows are going the right way on the filter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.