Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota / Lexus V8
jamesbissland

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota / Lexus V8

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has built a Haynes Roadster with a 1UZ V8 in?
Or any of the japanese V8's?

Many thanks in advance,
James

RazMan

posted on 24/3/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
It has been discussed a number of times but I seem to recall it was going to be very expensive as there isnt a manual option so fitting a suitable box is going to be very expensive.

Do a search and you will find a few threads on the subject

.... oh and welcome

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Black Flash

posted on 24/3/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Very, very wide as well. I looked at fitting one in my Rush, but the heads are wider than the engine bay. Most modern v8s (LS series excepting) are too wide as they are 90 degree overhead cam engines.

The ecu can be fooled into thinking the gearbox is there IIRC, with a bit of wiring - check the Lextreme forum. But the width will be the main problem I expect.

jamesbissland

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

I appreciate everyones comments

If anyone is working on their roadsters over the weekend, would you please be able to give me some rough dimensions of usuable space in the engine bay? I know the plans have dimensions and all, but sometimes its hard to see/imagine until you see the finished product.

Thanks again guys
James

easytiger007

posted on 16/6/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesbissland
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has built a Haynes Roadster with a 1UZ V8 in?
Or any of the japanese V8's?

Many thanks in advance,
James
Hello,guys-im in process of building Haynes Roadster type car with 1uzfe engine-i know there's not many cars around with that engine. Im sure it can be done.

coozer

posted on 17/6/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Use a Chevy 5.7, cheaper to setup and very very nice.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

swanny

posted on 17/6/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
i've seen a lexus v8 in a vindicator. Owner had it in the factory so they could get it through IVA for him last year. should be on road now. massiv eengine as you say.

easytiger007

posted on 17/6/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
i've seen a lexus v8 in a vindicator. Owner had it in the factory so they could get it through IVA for him last year. should be on road now. massiv eengine as you say.
25 inches with something wide at widest point i wouldn't call a massive engine(for V8)+its even lighter with right gearbox than Rover V8(popular choice for V8 fans in UK)+300 engine horse power comes almost in standart form(with right intake,exhausts,ecu..mapping...) Some American V8 engines are fine....like a LS series engine.....,but they almost all suit better car that looks like a car.....! Older ones are way to heavy and agricultural in standart form or they have a silly engine power which might be nice in Corvette or thrown in some E30 Bmw or in a drift car...etc,but not in something that only weighs around 600kg and meant to go on public road.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.