Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New small diesel car advice
MK9R

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
New small diesel car advice

I gonna contract hire a small diesel car, i do a lot of motorway, but also a good section of fast B/A roads. I initially looked at and tried the mini cooper D, which i was impressed with and like alot. Looking around price wise the only thing to really undercut it (and substantially) is the fiesta 1.6TDCI zetec s. I cant have a bottom of the range anything as it just pee's me off having no toys or luxuries (been there done that and sold the cars). I have to like the car, not just put up with it as i spend far too much time in it, and i enjoy cars. So any other suggestions? Or assuming the fiesta and the mini are the best choice does the mini really warrant £70 a month more???? My head says fiesta, heart says mini.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
The Citroen C3 has the same engines as the Fiesta and might be worth a look. I had the Fiesta as a hire car last year and the seats gave me chronic back ache after about 10 minues. I was thinking of buying one before that but I really couldn't live with it.

KitCatE1

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had a focus tdci on contract hire couple of years ago ok its not a fiesta but after 5-6k it started to feel alot older than the 3 month old car it was just felt cheap, started to rattle thing breaking! good old ford eyy. I have an 08 golf now had it two years done 50k still feels like new its going back in july going to miss it also had a 10 plate polo for the day when the golf was in for a service, only had it the day but that was a very good car also, id stick with zee Germans lol.
MK9R

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KitCatE1
I had a focus tdci on contract hire couple of years ago ok its not a fiesta but after 5-6k it started to feel alot older than the 3 month old car it was just felt cheap, started to rattle thing breaking! good old ford eyy. I have an 08 golf now had it two years done 50k still feels like new its going back in july going to miss it also had a 10 plate polo for the day when the golf was in for a service, only had it the day but that was a very good car also, id stick with zee Germans lol.

yeah know what you mean, i had a nearly new modeeo and didnt feel new for very long, where as my old bora that just went pop and an A6 and M5 i had still felt fresh years down the line. It a good point towards the mini, but still not sure if it warrants the £70

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
My mate has a Citroen C3, and it's a brilliant car.
MK9R

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a call of th lease company and they have the fiesta in stock, which would be helpful as i dont have a car at the moment!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

KitCatE1

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
suppose it depends how long you will be keeping it for the fiesta is a good looking car, I suppose my recent experiance with new fords has but me off I should point out it wasnt only one focus either, I had an 08, 58 and 09 reg cars all for three months all felt the same, although the last one was black with tinted windows and all the toys really looked the part I must admit this did make up for the way it felt, the way it looked but hey im shallow lol
mookaloid

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good deals on fiat 500's just now - or are they too cute for you?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

need4speed

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
My lad has a Fiesta Zetec s 1.6 TDCi and he thinks it's great, but he only does around 25 miles each way to work.
BigLee

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Don't they all share the exact same engine? I know they did towards the end of last year but suspect the Mini may have changed. I have the 1.6 Tdci from the Fiesta in my V70. 30k motorway miles a year, all at 70-80mph, some town use, and it has never dipped below 54mpg. It's not exactly quick is this car, but should be fun in the Fiesta. Don't let the badge put you off thinking the Mini would be better. I have heard of some real nightmares with Mini. Is it a full maintenance contract or do you have to service it, including tyres etc? Something to factor into the cost. Personally, Fiesta everytime.
MK9R

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

just a bit to "cute"

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

TimC

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I always get sent deals on Merc B-class - can't recall if any of them are Derv though.

britishtrident

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

just a bit to "cute"

A lot less kitsch than over sized MINI

The Fiesta isn't really a Ford the way the Focus is a LOT more Mazda engineering.

If they weren't so sensible I would suggest a Yaris but they are just too sensible ..............

As you do a lot of motorway work DPF problems shouldn't arise.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Irony

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
VW polo

speedstar

posted on 24/3/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Give zee Germans a look in.

The Polo and Golf diesels are really very good for what they are

speedyxjs

posted on 24/3/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Il second the fiesta back ache problems.

Golf diesels are great. Do skoda still do the fabia VRS diesel? They are great fun to drive and really quick!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MK9R

posted on 28/3/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
spent the weekend in cars, and based on what i like and whats available its come down to the mini cooper D and Audi A1 10.TDI Sport (The 1.6tdi fiesta was a god awful machine, and i walked away as soon as the test drive finished). Head say Audi, heart says mini, i cant decide!!

Best to drive: Mini
Best engine: Mini by a mile
Best quality of interior: Audi
Best exterior styling: Mini, just because not sure of A1 rear
Most airy/spacious cabin: Mini
most refined: Audi
best boot: Audi (both very small)
Best MPG: Mini claimed, but suspect Audi in real life as mini will tell me to rag it
most fun: Mini
Most sensible: Audi
Best dealer: Both good, but mini was a nicer experience
Servicing: Mini (free up to 50k)
Cheapest per month: Audi, just (contract hire)
Best car in 18month when novelty has worn off and things are looking slightly older: Suspect Audi
Availability: Audi (this week, mini end of april

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 29/3/11 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Audi cant get a car to me until end of April, but cant spec it how i want (as its already built), mini is also end of april and i can have it built to my exact spec, so mini order being placed today

what do you think??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

franky

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
looks nice, what sort of contract rates/deal can you get on them?
MK9R

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
looks nice, what sort of contract rates/deal can you get on them?

basic with no options £200+vat per month, obviously i have added a few options, but got a great deal going direct to mini (the 2nd dealer not the first!) and playing them off against some competitive brokers. Got a business discount equivalent to buying a fleet of 12 cars, so pretty chuffed!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.