Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Race Seats
micklax

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Race Seats

Another question from me???

I am looking at the moment at buying a seat for my Locost, I need to know whether or not it has to be FIA approved to be used in the 750mc series. I am struggling to find one that will fit in the space I have available (The base needs to be 400mm or less in width).

Any suggestions???

MK9R

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
No it doesn't, most of us use the expanding foam in a dustbin bag method

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
micklax

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that....just got to find something narrow enough to fit in the gap and wide enough to acommodate me.

I was never very good at maths, but one of those sizes might be bigger than the other!!!

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
triton make nice seats, good and solid, but were a bit too wide for my car.

http://www.jkcomposites.com/ are lighter and can be narrower.

Both are good companies to buy from.

Matt

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Seriously, a proper seat may look better, but a properly moulded expanding foam seat is much more comfortable and almost certainly safer as it fits your body perfectly and therefore supports it evenly in the even of an accident. You also have the option to set a separate head rest at the right position - I suspect many full length seats will have your helmet-ed head leaning forwards.

I used a plastic survival bag as its less likely to burst than a bin liner and a 5kg pack of two-part foam from CFS.

I suspect you'll be hard pushed to find someone who will advocate using a fibreglass or Kirkey seat over a foam'n'tape one.

ETA: If you are worried about either doing it right or making it look half decent, I know that Matt @ Procomp has helped a number of people with theirs and they are by far the tidiest I've seen.

[Edited on 25/3/11 by TimC]

micklax

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I don't suppose the same applies to harnesses in relation to FIA approval??

I have a perfectly good, hardly used 4 point Sabelt harness which was manufactured in 1999, which I assume is now out of date.
Am to assume this can't be used?

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micklax
I don't suppose the same applies to harnesses in relation to FIA approval??

I have a perfectly good, hardly used 4 point Sabelt harness which was manufactured in 1999, which I assume is now out of date.
Am to assume this can't be used?

You are correct - harnesses are checked in the same way as helmets and nomex overalls.

micklax

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Tim.

I thought that would be the case for the harness.

In terms of the seat then, are you saying that you made your own up with expanding foam??
I am struggling to grasp how to do that, and chance you could talk/type me through it when you get a few mins??

Mick

lsdweb

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mick

I'm with Tim - but making them can be a bit a faff. I remember there was a good guide on the Blatchat forum a while ago - I did save a link but that was on a dead laptop!

Regards

Wyn

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sure Mick - I'll U2U a number to you.

You'll need a helper for sure! I've done it three times now so in a reasonable position to advise.

There is a good vid somewhere too but I can't find it.

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just to second Tim's advice...

I was party to one of those seat making sessions and it ended up being a very well fitting seat, and definitely the way I would do mine in future...

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

I was party to one of those seat making sessions and it ended up being a very well fitting seat, and definitely the way I would do mine in future...

Aye - we just couldn't get it out afterwards! Lesson learned!

micklax

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is this the video you talked about?

http://www.myspace.com/video/custard/how-to-make-a-foam-race-seat/31570040

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - that's it.

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/3/11 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Aye - we just couldn't get it out afterwards! Lesson learned!

Or maybe we should have put the harnesses in first

lsdweb

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cover as much of the car in plastic sheet and wear old clothes. When MydT9 and I did one in my single seater (new owner be warned :-) ) we used too much and it spewed out everywhere! I was stuck in the car much to Myd's amusement and my little boy's horror!

Wyn

bi22le

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a really interesting vid.

What stops you from just sitting on the hard floor though and bottoming out your bottom?

Also how removable is this.

Im kind of thinking about making one as a track day seat only. Cheaper than a new GRP one and custom fit!!

Cheers

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Thats a really interesting vid.

What stops you from just sitting on the hard floor though and bottoming out your bottom?

Also how removable is this.

Im kind of thinking about making one as a track day seat only. Cheaper than a new GRP one and custom fit!!

Cheers

Biz

I assume you mean, why doesn't your arse drop straight to the floor? Once it starts to expand it will offer some resistance. Just be careful to lower yourself in gently.

Assuming you don't let the foam escape the bag AND you stop it from expanding under any return lips like chassis tubes then it should just slot in and out.

steveiow

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
By coincidence I am making one of these this weekend. Will let you know how I get on (if I dont end up stuck in the car awaiting rescue!)

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

TimC

posted on 1/4/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Well Chaps?

micklax

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Tim, sorry I didn't get in touch with you, sadly work has overtaken me for the moment. However, if it's ok with you I will get in touch at some stage so you can fill me in with some details. I have watched the video a couple of times, but there are still a few questions I would like answers to, before I make any attempt at gluing myself permanently into my car!

I have to say I too am interested to know how they got on though??

Triton

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Triton do have a seat that fits the Striker and Fury as well as the Pheonix......ask them for the striker seat it is high sided and narrower at the front to fit the tapered cockpits of the above cars.

And as far as I know the MSA don't call for the seat to be FIA approved unlike belts etc....there are lots of Triton seats being used in competition cars from circuit to hill climbs from Mini's to Locosts as well as Lotus Elise so can't be three bad can they

Oh and perhaps the only seats available that have been made by a girlie, my daughter.

[Edited on 1/4/11 by Triton]

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
More information on how to make a bin-bag seat.

http://www.sjmmarsh.f2s.com/Caterham/Foam%20Seat.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

norfolkluego

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Triton do have a seat that fits the Striker and Fury as well as the Pheonix......ask them for the striker seat it is high sided and narrower at the front to fit the tapered cockpits of the above cars.

And as far as I know the MSA don't call for the seat to be FIA approved unlike belts etc....there are lots of Triton seats being used in competition cars from circuit to hill climbs from Mini's to Locosts as well as Lotus Elise so can't be three bad can they

Oh and perhaps the only seats available that have been made by a girlie, my daughter.

[Edited on 1/4/11 by Triton]

I've got one of those in my car, nice bit of kit, fits a 7 perfectly.

steveiow

posted on 3/4/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
How To Make An Expanding Foam Race Seat

This is a little write up taken from our local forum about how we made the expanding foam race seat for the locost.

Apologies for the lengthy post(s) and cheesy photos. We have a bit of an obsession with cake, so I do apologise

Firstly, we cut a thin hardboard base for the seat so the finished article would have some strength to it.

This was then test fitted in the floor of the car, along with cutting the same board to make the drivers side of the car flat ie covering up the areas of the chassis to stop the foam expanding into it and locking the seat in place. We also shuttered off on the passenger side so the foam would give some lateral support once expanded. To accommodate the box section that runs across the car under the seat we placed some rigid foam of the same height in the rear area and left the front area deeper with just the thin hardboard in. Once formed the seat would then be locked in place by this "lip". The foam we used to level off the rear deivers floor was very similar to a kiddies swimming pool float, ie very solid and ultra lightweight.

We then made up the bag for the foam, which consisted of 2 compactor sacks tank taped together, the bottoms cut off both. The corners were unfolded and the very bottom of the lower bag then taped up. This should ensure as little creasing as possible in the seat as creases would weaken it. Dont under estimate how big a bag you will need.

We then test fitted the hardboard we cut earlier inside the bag

We used a large polythene sheet to cover any area that might be harmed if the expanding foam split the compactor bag

Our bag in place with hardboard inside ready to accept the foam. We misted the inside of the bag with a light spraying of water to aid bag removal, and we understood it also helps the foam to cure.

Because I am such a shortarse we had purchased what we considered enough to make 3 seats for a 6 foot driver. We ended up using over half of it, so you will need more than you think. We had 3 cans of part A and 3 cans of part B, I think they are a litre each. We mixed up equal parts of A and B. After about 10 seconds of mixing it went milky and started to react and expand slowly at first.

Then pouring commenced

I was ready in my race suit with a disposable overall on top to protect it should the bag burst. After about a minute of the foam being poured in I lowered myself into position. Just a couple of minutes later and the foam was really starting to go off and create quite some heat

We added a second batch of foam behind me as there was quite an area to fill, including ensuring it rose up and expanded around my left shoulder.

We then waited patiently for about 15-20 minutes until it had set hard. During this time i continuously pressed the brake, accelerator and clutch. If you dont, you end up with a comfy seat but not able to press the clutch pedal down.

Because we had made sure to flatten the sides of the car so the foam could not expand around any exposed bolts or crevices, the seat was relatively easy to remove and just fitted through the cage

Because we had made sure to flatten the sides of the car so the foam could not expand around any exposed bolts or crevices, the seat was relatively easy to remove and just fitted through the cage

Then it was time to peel off the bag, place it back in the car and start marking where to trim it down

More trimming and sanding

Then we fitted the crotch straps and cut out in the hard foam base we had laid previously to make the floor flat as 1 inch box section runs across bracing the chassis under the seat

We then bolted down the straps where they would turn verically to rise through the seat

Cutting the hole for the crotch straps

Test fitting again

Starting to take shape

Another test fitting with the shoulder and crotch belts - just the lap belts to go

Then measuring up for the lap belts

Another test fit with all belts in place, and then with me belted up too

A 5 percent fibreglass resin mix was made up and quickly applied to seal the seat

We then retired for the evening.

This morning the resin had hardened and it was time to smooth off any rough edges of resin and start taping

Extra tape was applied around areas where there would be wear from the harnesses, or from me getting in and out. Care was taken to ensure the final layer of tape would be vertical so it doesnt snag when sliding in or out

The last of the tape being applied - almost 2 rolls.

The finished article - looks superb and feels awesome

All in it took 3 of us best part of 7 hours yesterday and 2 of us a couple of hours today. That included fitting the new headrest you may have spotted in the photos above that Brian made - its a work of art.

We were all very happy with our first attempt at the seat, its easy enough to do if you prepare well and have patience as the shaping takes a long time to get spot on.

If we were doing it again we would guide the foam better for the rear of the back and the shoulder support leaving ledd to trim and of course using less foam up.

Thanks again to Brian and Dan for all their help with the car, as always.

Since making the seat I did a test day at Brands last Tuesday and can say that this seat is a massive improvement on the one I had previously which was a black fibreglass one as mentioned earlier in this thread. Those are great seats but for me, a bespoke one where you are strapped into the car and not a seat (the foam is really an insert) is far superior. You lower the centre of gravity and most importantly feel 100% more secure as well as ultimately receiving more feedback from the car, both the chassis and the steering. No more trying to stop the slight sideways movement you get under heavy cornering, you could go round paddock tickling the steering wheel feeling the loading change on the steering as you progress through the corners, without having to tighten your grip slightly like before in the fibreglass one.

It was well worth the effort. Its pretty comfy too - last session we did 28 minutes and it was not an issue for comfort.

Now if I can just recreate those test day laptimes in the race in 2 weeks time.....

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.