Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laser eye surgery
woodster

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Laser eye surgery

Has anyone on here had this done, how was the operation, have you had any problems, did it hurt, I could google search laser eye surgery problems but I don't think that would give me a true picture..... Thanks in advance.
austin man

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
mother in law had it done didnt complain much, just had to be carefull and apply drops for a few weeks

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I know quite a few who got it done and all have been delighted with the results. Most could read without glasses the next day and a most it was uncomfortable for a day or two but not painful. I'd definitely have it done if I needed it.

[Edited on 31/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Have had 6 or 7 sessions on my left eye so far but that's not for vision correction but to do with my diabetes and bleeding vessels. It doesn't hurt much at all really but i was advised by the doctor to take a pain killer or two a few Hrs before surgery as it helps to relive the irritation as surgery is taking place. Although to be honest i am not sure if what i am having done is in any way the same as it would be for vision correction. Friends have had it done for vision correction and not really heard anything bad from them except their eyes being dry occasionally.

HTH cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Do some good research first.

I understand this can only be done one or two times to an eye.
I am not 100% sure, but with your eyes make sure you fully understand what you are getting into.
ie dont have it done, and then find out that you have run yourself into a dead end as far as further treatment or other options are concened.

Take some indepentant advice from a qualified person OTHER than the from Laser eye surgery company.

You have only one set of eyes, and theyneed to last you a lifetime.

Make sure you make the right and correct choice first time.

Other than that good luck, and hope all goes well whatever the outcome.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

HowardB

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I spent ages looking into this, and concluded that I could live with glasses for a bit longer. I skydive and power kite, drive the fury and generally have more fun than ought to be allowed, there is always a way to manage with glasses.

On the other side once I know that my eyes are settled, the same prescription for a decade, then I'll review the situation.

Money no object, it is the fear of it going wrong that stops me having it done.

On a side note, there is more info out there on this than there is on building kit cars,.. good luck either way

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

focijohn

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Guy who i work with has just had it done..... Hes pleased with the results and his vision is improving daily so he tells us.
On the day of the op the consultant changed his mind as to which procedure he was going to have. It went from a 2 day recovery to 6.
He wasn't good for about 5 days after. His eyes were streaming and said it was very painful. He described it akin to having sand in his eye. He was also bed bound for a day or 2 because of it.

If you want me to quiz him and find out some more about it I can. Just let me know.

He also said at night when being driven the headlights of cars are very bright and very glarey. He was warned about this and signed bits and paid for after care so in the event that its doesn't sort its self out they would have him back in etc etc

[Edited on 31/3/11 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

cd.thomson

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I was the 1 in 100 who experienced "complications".

Vision is better than nominal now, sitting somewhere around 20/10 with no lasting night-time vision disturbances.

Despite the issues I had, I'd still recommend it.

Craig

rodgling

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, went from a short-sighted prescription of about 2.5ish (with astigmatism) to about 20/20. Surgery was painless, some mild discomfort for a few hours, and then it's all good. No issues with night vision, etc (it's actually better than it was with glasses as glasses are never perfectly clean and so you get a bit of flare etc off glasses normally).

If you're thinking about it, I recommend doing it sooner rather than later, because you'll eventually need glasses as you age anyway - so you get the most out of it by doing it as young as possible.

RazMan

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I would love to ditch my glasses and would pay good money to do it, but there are so many 'clinics' out there to choose from - which ones are good or bad? Oh and what is the going rate nowadays?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

stevebubs

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Yes, went from a short-sighted prescription of about 2.5ish (with astigmatism) to about 20/20. Surgery was painless, some mild discomfort for a few hours, and then it's all good. No issues with night vision, etc (it's actually better than it was with glasses as glasses are never perfectly clean and so you get a bit of flare etc off glasses normally).

If you're thinking about it, I recommend doing it sooner rather than later, because you'll eventually need glasses as you age anyway - so you get the most out of it by doing it as young as possible.

rodgling - which procedure did you have? There appear to be a few...

dlatch

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
in many ways laser surgery interests me as i have worn glasses since age 15
but the only time it actually annoys me having to wear glasses is when wearing a crash helmet, and the risk of having complications in surgery puts me off having it done because knowing my luck i would be the unlucky one

McLannahan

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
My wife's also interested in this so interested to read people's views. How often does it need re-doing? Or does it last for the rest of your normally sighted life?

Ninehigh

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by someone that had it done to follow all the recommendations, that whole "back to work the next day" isn't a good idea and the like. But apparently if you look after it properly then you're gravy.

She also said it felt like an elephant sitting on your eyeball, but it doesn't hurt...

cd.thomson

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
LASIK is the common procedure - a deep cut is made and a flap created which is retracted then replaced after the surgery

I had LASEK electively - a circular thin layer of epithelial cells is completely removed from the surface of your eye and then (in theory) grows back. This takes longer (sometimes much, much longer) to heal but you're left without a scar and its virtually indetectable if, for example, you were trying to enter the fast jet stream in the RAF.

Craig

rodgling

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling

rodgling - which procedure did you have? There appear to be a few...

I had wavefront lasik (I think it's called lasik - the one where they use a laser to cut a flap, then lift the flap and use a laser to resurface the cornea, then put the flap back) at Optical Express. OE are pretty budget, but they use the same machines as everyone else and the surgeon was very well qualified. That said, I only saw the surgeon briefly for the op - pre- and post- care was by very much less qualified / confidence-inspiring staff. Is it worth paying twice as much to go somewhere where the surgeon looks after you every step of the way? Hard to say. I had the op on Friday and was back at work on Monday with no problems functioning at work at all.

Whatever happens, follow the aftercare procedure religiously (use the eyedrops as prescribed), and make sure someone sees you straight away if you think there's a problem.

NigeEss

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I had LASIK about 7 years ago, slight discomfort during the procedure but not
painful. Went from -3.5/-4.0 to 19/20. No problems at all and absolutely no
regrets. Could have gone for re-treatment to get 20/20 but as I can read the
entire chart with left eye and all but last line with right I didn't bother.

If you do go for it then be meticulous with the after care as this is were most
of the problems occur. I had separate meds for each eye to avoid any chance
of cross contamination.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

neilp1

posted on 1/4/11 at 04:22 AM Reply With Quote
I had the wavefront lasik last year at Optical Express. I paid the extra to have the flap cut with the laser.

I must say that my eyes were sore after the op BUT after 4 hours they were great no pain. The next day I couldn't beleive how well I could see.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that if you have it done then in your 40's you'll probably have to wear glasses for reading!!

I'm pleased with the results and found Optical Express great!!

HowardB

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps there could be a poll?

Would you have it done?
Have you had it done?
Would you have it done again?

interesting pool of experience here,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Agriv8

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I would love to have eyes done but my prescription can still be a but up and down.

glad to hear they can work arround a stigmatism ( in my case this means wearing contacts for close work a problem ) - I use dailly disposables for comfort and ease of use. I wear glasses durring the week and ussually contacts at the weekend.

i am only 1.25 so can get arround without glasses/contacts but hate not being able to see properly and only needed to start wering glases at 28.

a couple of guys I know have had it done and both really rate it. I would be intrested in costs as I am sure the hedline prices you see on the adds ( from £395 ! ) could be a bit missleading..

Would you have it done? yes think so
Have you had it done? no
Would you have it done again? Thought it was once oly treatment ( but looks like I could be wrong )

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 1/4/11 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

mrwibble

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Have had 6 or 7 sessions on my left eye so far but that's not for vision correction but to do with my diabetes and bleeding vessels. It doesn't hurt much at all really but i was advised by the doctor to take a pain killer or two a few Hrs before surgery as it helps to relive the irritation as surgery is taking place. Although to be honest i am not sure if what i am having done is in any way the same as it would be for vision correction. Friends have had it done for vision correction and not really heard anything bad from them except their eyes being dry occasionally.

HTH cheers Matt

no mate, its really not the same procedure at all.

if you want to go ahead with this i would get some professional advice from an optician, i'm biased and would tell you to go to an independent as they're less likely to have agreements for referrals with chains of laser surgery and you'll be able to make an informed decision.

Jasper

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I had it done with Optimax 2 years ago for short sightedness (about -4.50) and I wished I'd had it done years before. I paid around £2k and had the one where they cut the flap and laser underneath. It was weird and uncomfortable but not painful, and lasted about 15 mins. Got up next day and had perfect eyesight for the first time in 30 years.

I can't recommend it highly enough - truly life changing.

I can u2u my mobile number if you want a chat about it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Jasper

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I had it done with Optimax 2 years ago for short sightedness (about -4.50) and I wished I'd had it done years before. I paid around £2k and had the one where they cut the flap and laser underneath. It was weird and uncomfortable but not painful, and lasted about 15 mins. Got up next day and had perfect eyesight for the first time in 30 years.

I can't recommend it highly enough - truly life changing.

I can u2u my mobile number if you want a chat about it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

woodster

posted on 2/4/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone as always on here top information, I'll have a look at vision express and optimax and let you know the out come.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.