Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay timewaster, what to do?
sdh2903

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay timewaster, what to do?

Hi all

Recently sold my inflatable boat on ebay, on the auction I asked for a 10% deposit at auction end then collection within 5 days unless previously arranged. I had several bidders email me and ask if they won could they pick up on a specific date etc (which is what I normally do).

However the winning bidder never made any contact before or until 3 days after the auction ended (auction ended last sat). Finally gets in touch on wednesday apologising for delay, says he has forwarded deposit to paypal and could he collect this sat, great no probs. However I never received deposit and has since emailed me to say he cant pick up this weekend would have to be the weekend after or possibly the weekend after that. Also said that i had to click accept to receive paypal deposit. Still nothing there now.

I'm a bit stumped as to what to do now???. The winning bidder is registered in Poole and I am in Glasgow, my suspicions are they have realised now its a tad far away. Do i continue to have faith and be patient? (the guy does have 37 positive feedback) or do I start the whole dispute/ cancellation process?

This is annoying me more than anything because if I make any purchases far away from home, which I often do, the boat itself came from southampton and my kit from maidstone, I always make sure I have plans to collect and discuss with the seller first, why cant everyone else do this?

Anyway rant over

Steve

jossey

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
start a dispute. as you will get the final selling fee's soon.

and your better off getting it back on ebay asap so that the old bidders can see its been relisted.

its a pain is ebay cos you do enter into an legal agreement but no one seems to care.

good luck with it.

if you have a high enough feedback rate you will have a dedicated customer service contact number they can help you take things further.

cheers

dave

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Tell tehm to sling their hook!

You clearly stated the 'rules' for payment etc. so ther is no excuse, it's their loss and there is always the option of the lower bidder (if it's a price you'll accept) being giving the option to buy.

I think timewasters/tossers on eBay are second only to petrol tax!

My personal view.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds exactly like my dispute I recently closed, I would say you won't see money from that fella. People seem to take delight in stringing sellers along and seeing how far they can take it.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Tell him he has breached the contract of sale and he has now lost the bid, and then put it back on ebay

I'd also want all the money payed in full through PayPal by a stated deadline before collection and say so on the advert

I have found through bad experience that you need to be firm and stick your ground when selling on ebay. I no longer accept any payment except that done through PayPal as even a monkey could do it and chances are if they moan about having to use it they are just timewasters. If the deposit has not come through on PayPal tell him that and he has a day to sort it or he’s lost the bid

[Edited on 1/4/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joni

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
try this one

i bought a fireblade engine off ebay cost £120 to ship it home was sold as a complete engine when i got it home half of the engine was not there half gearbox not there so rang him he told me to go f**k myself and set the phone down
contacted ebay they told me to send it back for a refund of the money it cost to buy not the cost of shipping it what will end up at about £170 so i will have lost this money now i think ebay is total shite and have deleated me account it makes me so cross

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joni
i bought a fireblade engine off ebay cost £120 to ship it home was sold as a complete engine when i got it home half of the engine was not there half gearbox not there so rang him he told me to go f**k myself and set the phone down
contacted ebay they told me to send it back for a refund of the money it cost to buy not the cost of shipping it what will end up at about £170 so i will have lost this money now i think ebay is total shite and have deleated me account it makes me so cross

was it payed through PayPal? I "bought" a car boot lid through ebay but was told by the seller that he did not have a PayPal account and so I sent a cheque, never saw the boot lid and just got lame excuses. I have the guys address and will be sending him some nice big dog poops, I have an inexhaustible supply

his ebay name is bangerboymert272 and I have also tracked down his email address and the forums he hangs out on as he's into banger racing (well Reliant Robin racing... Martin Vella car 272) isn't the web wonderful

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

joni

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

was it payed through PayPal? I "bought" a car boot lid through ebay but was told by the seller that he did not have a PayPal account and so I sent a cheque, never saw the boot lid and just got lame excuses. I have the guys address and will be sending him some nice big dog poops, I have an inexhaustible supply

his ebay name is bangerboymert272 and I have also tracked down his email address and the forums he hangs out on as he's into banger racing (well Reliant Robin racing... Martin Vella car 272) isn't the web wonderful

well this twat is called paul bi*ks from hunting york goes by the name of yamasuki373 on ebay so do yourselvs a favor and stay clear some day i will be over the pond and well poo happens

BenB

posted on 1/4/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Was it a BIN or an auction.
If it's a BIN you could claim trades description act in which case you don't have to pay to send it back. Small claims court etc etc. Auctions are buyer beware so it would be harder to do.

steve m

posted on 1/4/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I do sympathise with the "problems on ebay" but i do not think it is the norm

My Wife, Daughter and myself have bought and sold nearly 3000 items between us, and have only encountered minimul problems

All of these problems have been resolved within a week, so not really worth worrying about

Some folk out there in fleabay world, as i have found do not even own a PC, so have very limited time to arrange and pay for goods promtly, frustrating possibly, but worth cancelling your ebay account, no, thats just childish immature behavier

As for the OP, i would contact the second and third bidder on the boat and give them the offer at purchasing at there highest bid, get the cash and let the boat float away to a new more reliable source, i have done this at least twice with a car sale, and twice the second bidder has paid and collected the car with a couple of days, so it does work !

Steve

montythemole

posted on 1/4/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Was this recently? For the last 6 months or so you have to accept paypal in order to list so not an issue. I'd also never pay more than a deposit before doing rest on cash on collection for the larger items.

I'm up to about 1000 feedback and generally had little trouble. I won an auction for a load of MR2 parts once though and the guy refused to let me have it as "it didn't make enough money". That's what a reserve is for idoit.

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

daviep

posted on 1/4/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you need to accept paypal, I listed a bike last week and the only payment option I offered was "cash on collection"

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Ninehigh

posted on 1/4/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
You need to sign him up for lots of lovely offers for willie expanders and "prescription" medication

macc man

posted on 1/4/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
With larger items I always as for cash on collection. I know it limits your market but it just is not worth the hassel.
I recently bought a car on ebay and at first I thought it was a bargain, but quickly found lots of fault which were not described in the description. My own fault for being too trusting. Sometimes you have to put it down to experience. On the whole ebay
works but you do have to be carefull.

joni

posted on 2/4/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by montythemole
quote:
quote:

Was this recently? For the last 6 months or so you have to accept paypal in order to list so not an issue. I'd also never pay more than a deposit before doing rest on cash on collection for the larger items.

I'm up to about 1000 feedback and generally had little trouble. I won an auction for a load of MR2 parts once though and the guy refused to let me have it as "it didn't make enough money". That's what a reserve is for idoit.

thats ok if you lived in england but iam in northen ireland

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.