Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance renewal rant
nick205

posted on 4/4/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance renewal rant

SWMBOs tintop insurance is due and just opened the renewal reminder from current insureres RAC........

£320 fully comp for the past 12 months - 8 yrs no claims, now 9 years and they want....wait for it....£514

Go Compare-a-go-go shows prices starting from....wait for it.....£320, including RAC themselves at £366.

Swift call placed to RAC telling them to phweck right off and never contact me againother than with my proof of no claims.

The renewal letter was sent by a Ms Ellis...."Head of Customer Retention" who I'd say needs to follow a different career path....flaming comediene would be more like it.

r1_pete

posted on 4/4/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
We search for better quotes every insurance renewal, gone are the days of rewarding loyalty, being a new customer every year yields cheaper quotes.

I've known our existing company come back with a cheaper quote than previous years, as long as the cover is what I need I don't care who provides it, even if their renewal was a rediculous figure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macc man

posted on 4/4/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I find its always worth bartering with present insurer first. They will usually price match rather than loose your custom.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Same thing has happened with my wife's renewal notice - was around £140 fully comp on a X-reg Matiz with Direct Line. This year it's £195. The car's only worth £750 at best.

Did a quick Meerkat and found dozens of reputable companies offering a better product at around £140. Going TPFT would only save her around £10!

As I've never managed to negotiate Direct Line downwards (although they did me a few extras last time) they'll be losing her business this year. They will also be losing my business when my renewal comes up in a couple of month's time...

UPDATE:

Well, there you go - fully comp insurance with a known company (Bradford & Bingley) for just under £125.

[Edited on 4/4/11 by David Jenkins]

Humbug

posted on 4/4/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
What pisses me off is when you go on the comparison websites and get some figures, go back to your current insurer and ask them what they can do. They say their best price is X (higher than the comparison). You go ahead and sign up with a new insurer then call the current insurer to tell them you are cancelling, and they suddenly can price match. This has happened to me a few times and I've just told them I am continuing with the cancellation and if they really could price match, they should have done it when I originally called.

As above, compare every renewal time, otherwise they shaft you.

marcjagman

posted on 4/4/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Just insured the XR4x4 with Adrian Flux. 2nd car, no NCB, 10k/year for £240 fully comp which I thought was quite resonable. Go compare's cheapest was £630 with Admiral for like for like policy. I can't understand why the HUGE difference, same car, same address and same person driving. Pure greed if you ask me.

[Edited on 4/4/11 by marcjagman]

steve m

posted on 4/4/11 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Also remember not to put your mobile no in, as you will regret it !
coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar incident with my renewal, though the price had not gone up significantly. I had other reasons for going elsewhere (someone else offered me a 2 car policy with one of them heavily modified), but when I called to cancel the auto-renew (another rant for another day) the woman asked why I was cancelling. Before I could get my words out fully she had already offered to re-quote much lower "as they valued my custom". I find this a little distasteful as if they valued my custom they wouldn't be trying to get away with a higher premium initially, they'd be offering me their best to start with.
snakebelly

posted on 4/4/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
same story here, last year £380 with the iggy pop lot, renewal.......£560!!! no accidents, no claims etc etc, searched on line and got smae cover for £390 so with premiums going up happy, when i called for proof on no claims they offered to match, I informed them that since they had tried to take advantage on renewal in the hope i wouldnt notice or query it then i wouldnt trust them to handle any claims professionally and would therefore be taking my business elswhere!!
RoadkillUK

posted on 4/4/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I was with Direct Line last year, Insurance was £428. Renewal quote was £790!
I'm now insured with Aviva for £354 making a saving of £479, should have been £364 but when I phoned for a quote I told them that I was trying to get £10 cashback with Quidco, she just deducted £10 for me.

On a related note, I've used Quidco a couple of times to get car insurance ... in 2009 I got £70 cashback for the wifes car insurance and in 2011 I got £45 cashback for my In-Laws car insurance.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 4/4/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
We search for better quotes every insurance renewal, gone are the days of rewarding loyalty, being a new customer every year yields cheaper quotes.

Indeed. Been with Bell Direct (?) for maybe 10-12 years as they were always cheapest.

this years renewal was £ 350 ... but at same time got letters from AA for £ 230 and More >han for £ 214..... hmmmmmmmm

Called More Than to reduce the compulsory excess and add on protect NCB and it went up to ....

£ 219!!! Bought it there and then, paid by card.

So called Bell and told them to go fingy-me themsleves ... they said they would match but too late.

[Edited on 4/4/11 by 02GF74]

David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps if everyone told their old insurance company to get stuffed every time they offered to match a quote from elsewhere then maybe they'd stop hiking up their prices in the first place.

But I doubt it...

RoadkillUK

posted on 4/4/11 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted out a blokes insurance for him (he's in his 60's), he was a loyal customer (can't remember the company) but his renewal for a Ford Mondeo 2.0 2006 was £1003

Got him insured for less than 1/2 that price.

Rediculous, these are the type of people they make money out of, that and the lazy

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Pezza

posted on 4/4/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I must be lucky, my lot dropped my renewel by £20 to £117.50 on the Manta this year

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Ninehigh

posted on 4/4/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
I find its always worth bartering with present insurer first. They will usually price match rather than loose your custom.

I find this to be a complete illusion, the ONLY company who has done this is Orange. I know it is all our own experiences of course.

quote:
Originally posted by Roadkilluk
Sorted out a blokes insurance for him (he's in his 60's), he was a loyal customer (can't remember the company) but his renewal for a Ford Mondeo 2.0 2006 was £1003

Kin'ell I hope that's a Ghia or ST model, ours is half that for the one year older version!

T66

posted on 4/4/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
The RAC have just binned me this time around, now not offering insurance on modded cars (saab turbo)

all the comparetheb6llsh1t.com sites were quoting fully comp - all £600 plus for a ten year old Saab worth bugger all

for a driver age 45 who has full no claims, last claim made in 1989.

Now with flux, third party fire and theft for £508 - I refuse to pay anymore for it.

I asked them what exactly no claims discount meant, seeing as my policies have only ever gone up since the age of 17.

I saw a brief dip in my mid twenties, and now mid forties they hiked it up from £320 last year to over £600

Who would be a Lloyds name !! Licence to print money the robbing *8%%44£££&& ^*£@T$

The new excuse is all the false claims going in, thats why they justify sticking another 40% on everyones policy

T£&*S

greggors84

posted on 4/4/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I got an email from Swift Cover the other day telling me about my automatic renewal. Nothing has changed except 1 more year of no claims. Last year I paid around £450, this year will be £940!

Checked through the comparison websites and the best I got with the same excess was £540, swift cover were £630 strangely!

I think I will be telling them thanks but no thanks! Even if they do match the best quote.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Liam

posted on 4/4/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Funny - it's the other way round for me with Admiral. Used to be like the above (but not by much) and a quick call to moan got them to match (their own new customer quote via a comparison site). However for the last couple of years my renewal quote has been cheaper than I can get as a new customer. In fact nobody on any comparison site has gotten within £50 of my renewal quote the last two years. Bizarre - a genuine example of rewarding loyalty? My insurance company cynicism says it can't be, but maybe it is??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.