Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time to figure out what to do!
Eternal

posted on 9/4/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Time to figure out what to do!

Well its time to work out what im going to do with my sump. This is causing me sleepless nights at the moment heh.

I only have 3 options as i cant really lift the engine any higher.

1) Dry sump - expected cost around 5/6k..... ouch!

2) Cut the sump - Remove 3-4 cm and rework the pickup. Sounds easy but the sump is cast ally and the baffles are a pain in the ass to rework. Also the engine sits at an angle so one side of the sump will be very shallow. With hard right hand turns without the height and wing i think the oil might go up the side of the engine. Also this still leaves the sump hanging a tad below the rails.

3) Leave the sump how it is fully functional and ready to run. The GTR sump and baffle system is very good and i would really prefer not to mess around with it. Then build a rail down both sides of the sump (on the chassis rails that will allow me to mount a ally plate on the underside of the engine that things to skid past. Also note that as im using 18" wheels my ride height is a bit taller than normal locosts.

[Edited on 9/4/11 by Eternal]

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
make a sump guard and weld it to the chassis

my sump sticks that much out the bottom of the falcon and all I did was weld a 8mm plate to the bottom of the sump, works just fine

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'd leave i t and or put a sump protrector in place.
Thats more clearance than some I've seen have got

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
If thats set at ride height (and wishbone angle apears it is) I'd leave it alone. Higher than mine and a lot of others. Put a decent skid plate on.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
this is my sump and you can see it sticks out more past the chassis than yours, I dented my sump (my oil pressure had dropped too and found the pickup strainer had been flattened) so took it off to bash out the dents and then welded this 8mm plate to the bottom. Ran it for a couple of years like that and only scrapped off the paint.

Which reminds me, where is my green paint cos that looks rough!!

[Edited on 9/4/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
i lopped mine off to the same height as the bell housing. if your not confident that you can weld it up chop it and send it to me to weld up.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Eternal

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
There is a pic of the height from the front. The sump is 4.5inches from the floor. Out of interest at what height do all you guys run from the floor to the chassis or floor to sump?

franky

posted on 9/4/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
97mm i run which is loads!
The Modfather

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO you have tons of room there. Mine is way lower than that and I'm not even bothering with a skid plate. Providing you remember not to hit the anchors when going over those "island" type speed bumps, you will be mega ok fella.

My old pinto was even lower than my new zetec install, and I never grounded that either.

I think you are worrying over nothing. Put a plate on if it gives you piece of mind, but with that height "You'll get a bus under that!"

Daz

austin man

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
most run aroun 4.5" and have a bit of sump protrusion so you should be okay

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

DRC INDY 7

posted on 9/4/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
i have 3.5 inch clearence my sump sticks down more than yours i drove it on to the brake roller tester today at work and still had 1.5 inches clearence

so yours is more tha fine

the pinto engines i have been running for the past 2 years had 4 inch clearence

[Edited on 4/9/2011 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.