Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage build
b14wrc

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Garage build

Hi,

Started my garage conversion, I am looking at boarding it out so it is warmer, does not leak and is secure!

Started off by repointing the gaps, got about half left to
do. The intension is to frame it, put in 25mm polystyrene foam and the a vapour barrier finished with 9mm
plasterboard. Going to paint it with a special thermal
paint, redo electrics and lights. Install a dish washer (parts washer) and put a work bench at the top end. Got new side door and double side hinged garage door on order.

Any one got any tips for making this space better?

Will update progress.

Cheers Rob

[Edited on 9/4/11 by b14wrc]

20vt powered rear engined locost

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/11 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
looks good maybe a few more clear roof panels will lighten it up a bit?

[Edited on 9/4/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 9/4/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
a few more strip lights, and rubber stable mats for the floor - or carpet if its dry.
The Baron

posted on 9/4/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
looks like you are already thinking down the right route anyway, sounds better that where i started my build.....

now for the non costructive suggestions........

fridge to keep beer in. when you need your mates to give you a hand lifting etc, i find that the old currency of free beer works well

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/4/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would use ply/sterlingboard at the bench end. Handy for screwing shelves/brackets etc etc etc etc. 9.5mm plasterboard is a bit fragile too. And thermal paint? not sure it will be that handy, unless very cheap.
Remember to leave good ventilation too, pretty important in a garage, though you may want to close the vents when you are working in there.

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/4/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, another suggestion. George foreman grill? perfect for bacon
RazMan

posted on 9/4/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I would be inclined to just install clear roof panels, loads of strip lights and then just paint it white so that you can use the walls to hang shelves, storage bins etc. Some heavy duty rubber tiles will warm it up nicely.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RickRick

posted on 9/4/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
definatle something for the floor, good quality paint as a minimum
DixieTheKid

posted on 9/4/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
If your thinking about over boarding do this.

1)Black Jack all the walls with 2 coat (liquid DPM/Bitumus Paint)
2)Dot & Dab an "EXTRUDED" laminated plastedboard to the wall. This can be either British Gypsum Thermaline Plus or Knauf Linerboard Plus. (or we make it if your in Hampshire)

You will have no problems with moisture or damp from the walls. 1 because you sealed all the walls and 2 because extruded polystyrene cannot absorb water were SD poly can equaling soggy plasterboard and a damp smell. Oh and its thermally better than SD poly.

Only thing is...... if you twat it with a spanner of something your going to damaged it

Chris

COS IT'S Worth IT

b14wrc

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have taken on advice about bitumen paint. Sprayed all the joints with it. Hoping this will stop any damp coming through.

Rob

wilkingj

posted on 28/4/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap white emulsion as finished colour, and several fluorry tube lights. It will reflect all the light and make it a lot easier to work on the car. I only did one wall, and it made a big difference.

I dont think you need special thermal paint, if you are properly insulating the walls and ceiling.

I would also screw / bolt some angle iron ocross the clear panels as an anti intruder device. Your insurance co would approve of that, along with good doors and solid frames, with decent locks. Again, some angle iron strategically placed on the doors will help secure the place.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

b14wrc

posted on 30/4/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Doors like these? Fitted them yesterday.....

Rob

Ps. Thermal paint - something I have available at work, planned use on submarines, I have the chance to get some for free as it was a sample we were testing. Very impressive and free. It is basically ceramic micro beads in a latex base coat, I plan to get the plasterboard 1 coat prior to emusion. My garage gets very cold in winter, as I am up north lol.

HowardB

posted on 30/4/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
as above really, fit a solid threshold to the floor, bolted to the concrete, then in addition to any locks, have a drop bar on the back of the doors.

Fit a PIR lamp in there too, great when you walk in at night as you wont need to find the light switch.

Looking great!

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

b14wrc

posted on 30/4/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.