Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R16 Calipers - Noisy??
Krismc

posted on 16/4/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
R16 Calipers - Noisy??

Ive got a slight noise from the front pads when breaking heavy is this normal with a raceleda setup.

I was thinking that it is either just the groved discs or is it because the raceleda pads dont have anti rattle shims?

Just to put my mind at rest.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

coozer

posted on 16/4/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
What kinda noise? Mine squeal like a pig most of the time...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Gergely

posted on 18/4/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Mine are completely noiseless. Is it a squeal or a rattle? I understand rattle can appear because of the way it's designed... But mine don't rattle either.

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spdpug98

posted on 18/4/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
No noise from mine at all, what sort of noise are yours making

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/11 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads is the normal way to dampen out troublesome squeals, though tbh they still sometimes do

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Not a squeal!!

The pads rattle a little when turning left and right at low rpm, but its a sort of? (how do i describe it??) it sounds a bit like a electrical hum when i brake heavy, not that loud but i can hear it!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
yeah but grease stops them rattling too as it just acts as a damper for the pads

could be something else on the front though, cycle wings or a loose track rod nut. Best to have a good check just to be safe.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Krismc

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Went round and checked the first time i heard it, only when i touch the BIG STOP pedal. im guessing its the groved Discs and ive go over sensitive hearing.

blakep82

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
well, the pads have to get rid of the kinetic energy somehow, and conservation of energy says it can only turn it into other types of energy. usually heat, and in this case a bit of sound energy too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Krismc

posted on 20/4/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Good enough answer for me, lol.

Anyway my mate popped round too have a butchers at car today, so i gave him a job to do while he was here and we bled the brakes, the front right caliper had 4 pedals worth of air in it and the back right 3 pedals worth,

no wonder it pulled to the side under breaking.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.