Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA questions
locostbuyer83

posted on 19/4/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
IVA questions

Hi Everyone,

My IVA is three weeks away today so i'm rushing about trying to get the car finalised ready to pass the test..

A few IVA related questions:

1, The fuel pump is located under the fuel tank (much like hellfire's tank) - Hope thats ok to use picture from your site

Now my tank sticks out lower than the rear panel and has threads showing... will this need to be boxed in?

2, I am using these

to attach my clip on Willams 4 point belts, how can I go about covering them? Everyone else seems to be using bolts but mine are the clip on type so i went with eye bolts.
Also Do i need to put a split pin through the bolt even though Ive got a nut on it locking it into the thread on the chassis?

3, camber - I am going to get a local company to set the suspension etc up but this won't be until after the IVA. In the meantime what are the rough settings to allow the MK to self centre - it doesnt matter if the handling is worse for it, just needs to self centre for the test.

4, Chassis number - Do I need to put * at each end of my number stamped on the chassis? i haven't atm but I don't have a * stamp!

I'm going to take a load of photos at the weekend but hopefully you guys can help with those questions.

Many Thanks
Stuart

rayward

posted on 19/4/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
re : the harness eye bolts, can't help with covering, but do they have a strength rating on them?

Ray

locostbuyer83

posted on 19/4/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
re : the harness eye bolts, can't help with covering, but do they have a strength rating on them?

Ray

I bought them after reading something on the site. They do have a marking on them.

Rob WM

posted on 19/4/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I passed the IVA in december so will give you what I have if it helps!

Q1 - My tank and fuel pipe are lower that the rear panel and it was not questioned. You may want to box in at a later date, also ensure that you have an earth from the pump.

Q2. - You will need the strength rating 8.8 should be fine. You don't need a split pin if they are secured into the chassis. I used bolts and didn't have either a nut or a split pin. They just wanted to ensure the loading was not on the bolt head and so you should be fine.

Q3. - I set mine up with the mushrooms at the front, eleven threads showing on the top wishbone ball joint and 1 degree tow out at the front, The rear are parrallel, it passed fine at Nottingham test ctr but I don't think they look at this too closely there as they know the cars

Q4. - I didn't and it was checked several times by the test station and the DVLA when registering

Good luck

Rob

locostbuyer83

posted on 19/4/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob WM
Hi

I passed the IVA in december so will give you what I have if it helps!

Q1 - My tank and fuel pipe are lower that the rear panel and it was not questioned. You may want to box in at a later date, also ensure that you have an earth from the pump.

Q2. - You will need the strength rating 8.8 should be fine. You don't need a split pin if they are secured into the chassis. I used bolts and didn't have either a nut or a split pin. They just wanted to ensure the loading was not on the bolt head and so you should be fine.

Q3. - I set mine up with the mushrooms at the front, eleven threads showing on the top wishbone ball joint and 1 degree tow out at the front, The rear are parrallel, it passed fine at Nottingham test ctr but I don't think they look at this too closely there as they know the cars

Q4. - I didn't and it was checked several times by the test station and the DVLA when registering

Good luck

Rob

Brilliant, Thanks Rob. Very helpful!

Rob WM

posted on 19/4/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
No worries let me know if you have any other queries, I know I had quite a few in the last couple of days!
locostbuyer83

posted on 19/4/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Just one quick question:

What should I do about covering the eye bolts?

Stu

Rob WM

posted on 19/4/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
As they have no sharp edges that can be touched by the sphere you don't have to cover them. If you did it would stop the movement of the belt fasteners anyway so would probably be a bad thing.

Just thinking out loud but you have got fasteners that can be "locked" on? You have to have some form of mechanical fastening so the can't "pop" off the eye bolts.

locostbuyer83

posted on 19/4/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
As they have no sharp edges that can be touched by the sphere you don't have to cover them. If you did it would stop the movement of the belt fasteners anyway so would probably be a bad thing.

Just thinking out loud but you have got fasteners that can be "locked" on? You have to have some form of mechanical fastening so the can't "pop" off the eye bolts.

Yes, they clip in and are a pain to unclip so no chance of them slipping off the ring. What about covering the seat belt clips though? they have edges though?

Stu

Rob WM

posted on 19/4/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
As you know I didn't use them but my guess would be that they will want to see the attachement and so they are best not covered. You can then have some rubber edge seal to push on once they have inspected the fitting. They will have no issue with you doing this in front of them.

Rob

locostbuyer83

posted on 19/4/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
As you know I didn't use them but my guess would be that they will want to see the attachement and so they are best not covered. You can then have some rubber edge seal to push on once they have inspected the fitting. They will have no issue with you doing this in front of them.

Rob

Ok, thanks Rob

khm

posted on 19/4/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
eye bolts should not be an issue as they are behind your seats, just take loads of foam, edging stip tape & tie wraps and cover things up if they ask you to, you can do bits as they go along

good luck

I'd rather be scared to death, than bored to death !

Promai Joe

posted on 21/4/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I appreciate my belts were bolted, but the where the webbing of the belt fixed to the anchor point, this was deemed as a sharp edge and I have to cover. You may be lucky that the rounded edge of the eye bolt means the sphere cannot touch the buckle. There is a photo of my mounting in the link below.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/29/viewthread.php?tid=152956

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.