Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Planning permission granted, now what..
Simon

posted on 21/4/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Planning permission granted, now what..

Ok, I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm trying to do this on a budget so haven't used an architect and will be using individual trades to do what I can't.

I drew my own plans and they've been approved. Can I now start digging holes or knocking things down or is there something else I need to do first.

FYI house extension involves building another storey on existing garage and building new porch and extending garage outwards (more room for projects!!).

Cheers very much

ATB

Simon

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/4/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Next step is building regs. You need to submit to them to approve the structural calcs. Costs more money unfortunately.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/4/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ps. Im doing exactly the same. Own plans etc

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

loggyboy

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Building control next
2 routes - plans or building notice.

Notice is slighty dearer on LA fees, but thats because the inspector comes out more often to check work.

Plans route means less LA fees, but you need someone to draw up technical plans and spec for the LA to approve, they will then come and inspect only a few times.

If the build is more than just a few walls and a single pitch roof (ie steelwork, drainage, etc etc) then plans are better as you iron out the creases before you start building. Also means your builder can quote more accurately.

Check planningportal.gov.uk for more info

JoelP

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
we've got an uncle to knock up out plans! The plan is to get a friends dad for the founds as he has a digger, then just get a bricklayer and roofer, and do the rest myself.

As ben says, the building regs people will tell you how they want you to proceed, ie what order and speed, and what calcs they want to see in advance.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Rod Ends

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Inevitably...

v8kid

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sook up to the building inspector he will be your best pal.

Our building inspector always has a hot cup of tea and a chocky biscuit waiting for him. As a result he would tell me where to go to buy stuff, the best price, who to avoid and best of all where to cut corners and where not to. Also who in "the System" was who.

We saved £20k of our budget and ended up with an extra 48sqm as a result of the tips he passed on about "The Planning System" and surprise surprise when we applied for the amendment it was passed first time

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, again the building inspector is your mate. Get onto him and ask him what to do first, call him out when its done and ask him what you need to do for the next time he comes.

I built a 2 story extension on my house and did most of the stuff myself just calling in brick layers, plumbers etc when required.

He accepted I was doing it myself and guided me on how to, where to get stuff and how to do it.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big-vee-twin

posted on 22/4/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
You will need and accredited energy assessor to do you a SAP calculation in order to pass part L of the building regulations

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

loggyboy

posted on 22/4/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
You will need and accredited energy assessor to do you a SAP calculation in order to pass part L of the building regulations

Im pretty sure extensions dont require SAP calcs, unless they have window area that equate to more than 25% of the floor area.

mcerd1

posted on 22/4/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Inevitably...

coming soon from haynes: "how to build your own home for as little as £250 - and live in it!"

-

gottabedone

posted on 22/4/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Everybody needs their ego polished at times so make friends with the delivery driver from Jewsons/Kellaways or whichever you use. I live on a big slope and the Kellaways driver does his best to drop my deliveries as close to where i need them as possible.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.