Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Ignition
The Baron

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Ignition

I finally have my pinto to zetec conversion complete, and it runs.

I have what is apparently the usual 'occasional' backfire on start-up, as i have a older style zetec silvertop which suffered from sticking valves, but once it starts (and it starts with no problem) it ticks over really smoothly.

I am using a weber 32/36 dgas carb on one of those banger conversion plates, with a ESC ingnition module (the one with the red insert).

the only grumble is when i give it some throttle, the car hesitates before it revs (almost like a cough, but without the cough) once it catches up with itself, its fine. its almost as if the timing is slightly out!!!!

generally the enigne pulls like a train ( i replaced a 1600 pinto with a 1600 zetec) and is a million times smoother than my old pinto, so am very happy.

any ideas where i could look for the cause of the issue.

Cheers,

B

big_wasa

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Have you connected up the vacuum pipe ?
austin man

posted on 25/4/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a pair od 40's on mine and it too had a little bit of hesitation on the 40's it is something to do with the progression holes in the carbs. I used EDIS and a GEMS ECU so not a problem with setting the ignition timing

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

paulf

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Its more likely to be the carb than the ignition, what is the carb from and did you jet it to suit the zetec?.
Paul

big_wasa

posted on 28/4/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Its more likely to be the carb than the ignition, what is the carb from and did you jet it to suit the zetec?.
Paul

I was thinking of air leaks aswell.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.