Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T rewaxing/polishing pine table and chairs
Humbug

posted on 3/5/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
O/T rewaxing/polishing pine table and chairs

As subject: we have got a farmhouse style pine table and chairs that have lost their finish, especially the table, over time and have a few scratches, etc. They don't look like they are varnished, more like wax.

I was going to clean off any obvious grease/wax and then sand down the surface to get rid of dents and scratches, but I am looking for hints and tips on what to refinish them with. As I say, I don't think they are currently varnished, but I just thought with wax it would be more likely to be affected by spills?

TIA

Simon

Dave Ashurst

posted on 3/5/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it with success using a selection of Colron products (wax instead of varnish).
...Dissolve old finishes, orbital sander, seal bare wood, further sanding, liquid wax, finishing wax ... something like that.
You can get a nice satin finish that develops a deep gloss with time and use.

I've used a shellac finish too which works well but is a bit more hard work.

Perhaps check the Colron website?

Edit to add:

Personally I prefer furniture with a natural finish. It needs some care, it involves you more and seems to have more character. It will be spill resistant, you'll need to protect from hot items, you need to polish it occasionally and sometimes you might need to repair the finish. (But at least repair is accessible and you'll have the skill by then.)

D

[Edited on 3/5/11 by Dave Ashurst]

trextr7monkey

posted on 3/5/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bri wax antique pine would probably do it if it isn't really beaten up, rub in and polish off 3 x
If it is in dailyuse prob not worth taking back to bare wod and refinishing, with old pine it is all about character, that's my line anyway
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

David Jenkins

posted on 3/5/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Watch out for some of those furniture waxes - use them in a well-ventilated room or you'll be off flying with the fairies!

Humbug

posted on 3/5/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the products and might start to have a go this weekend when the missus is away

Cheers

Simon

cliftyhanger

posted on 3/5/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for BriWax.

We have a great table, and every year it gets a scrape down (I use one of those floor scraper blades, just held in my hand) to remove the old stuff, and then apply the wax with fine wire wool. Quick buff with a cloth and good to go. And yes, the marks all add character to the table

EDIT re time, our table is 7'6 by 3'6 and takes an hour or so to do. Not all in one go though, a cuppa or two make excellent breaks.

[Edited on 3/5/11 by cliftyhanger]

jase380

posted on 3/5/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Another one for briwax from me too, it used to be one of my chores when i still lived at home, must have done it 15 times over the years.I moved out 20 years since and the table is still going strong !!
johnq

posted on 3/5/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
pure beeswax everytime , use very sparingly and many coats buffing to a shine each time,,,

looks like rain again

Humbug

posted on 3/5/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
btw, do the suggestions go for the chairs as well as the table? Not sure I would want wax all over clothing...

Humbug

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. I went and bought a tin of Briwax yesterday. sanded down the table, cleaned it off and put 2-5 layers of "medium brown" Briwax on depending on how badly faded the part was - the top was worst. Looks a treat now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.