Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA pass now the bloody DVLA!
Promai Joe

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
IVA pass now the bloody DVLA!

Hi everyone,

Firstly I passed today at Mitchem, all the modifications went well, but still had to move my side repeaters at the centre. I will post a seperate thread (in the electrics section) on this for others to learn from. In my opinion the within the IVA process there seems to be to much difference in testers interpretation of the rules.

After getting my "ticket" and nearly loosing it straight away for adjusting my speedo back to a sensible reading didn't want a speeding ticket on the way home, possibly not the best place to do this, in their yard! (my speedo works off the front wheel and the tester wanted to see it read 20mph in top gear at 1500rpm, the real speed was nearly 35mph, but apparently sat nav and a speed gun were not enough proof).

So I thrashed the car home (awesome fun) and got in my diesel Civic to the DVLA (stange contrast). After queing for a bit I was seen and now the DVLA have demanded to see my vehicle. I was aware this could happen, but I am going for a Q plate not an age related or new, so not really anything to prove, its just old used components which I have receipts for.

I gave them the IVA certificate with all of the information on signed off by another government body only hours before, but apparently this is not enough proof! I explained to the people I spoke to, I have no more leave from work and cannot afford to hire trailer & van for a 30 second check over. They have my full build documentation with about 60 photos and a wallet of receipts. I also suggested witnessed photos and driving the examiner to my house, to no avail.

It is just so frustrating, today has cost me another £265 (£90 retest, £55 registration, £118 6-months tax, £2 for using a credit card!) It is hardly lowcost!

Somewhere along the line, I am the customer and I am purchasing a service but I don't feel the customer service has been anywhere near pleasant. Anyway nearly there and hopefully I will get some summer motoring in or before petrol is £2/litre.
Whinge over.

[Edited on 13/5/11 by Promai Joe]

40inches

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't there another post recently in which someone had clarified with DVLA that an inspection wasn't necessary?

mrwibble

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
well done on the pass. the wallies at the dvla prolly have a target for looking at vehicles, i/e 10% of those iva'd, so you 've just been unlucky, try not to let it get you down. your nearly there!
Promai Joe

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
If someone knows of the post re not having to have an inspection and any loophole it would seriously help me out.
mackei23b

posted on 13/5/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
This may be what you are looking for:
http://www.betterregulation.gov.uk/ideas/viewidea.cfm?proposalid=3331ed493d6b444d97bc03a2bbba312b&tunnel=bl

Cheers

Ian

Promai Joe

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
That is a brilliant link, thank you so much. I will get on phone on Monday. If it all works out you must let me buy you a pint.
Cheers
Joe

Promai Joe

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just read it again, and it does say new kit built vehicles, I suspect this is where I will come unstuck as it is made from old components. I will try anyway.
mackei23b

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Promai Joe
Just read it again, and it does say new kit built vehicles, I suspect this is where I will come unstuck as it is made from old components. I will try anyway.

Sorry didn't see that bit, but still worth a go.....

Ian

adithorp

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one!

...but thats the most downbeat "I've passed" post I've ever seen.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Promai Joe

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
only becasue I thought it was nearly over and wanted a Sunday blat with my mates. I am actually happy, just massively impatient.
PeteS2k

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on in there! Just park any perceptions of logic or common sense for a while where DVLA are concerned. Varies from centre to centre, person to person, and week to week, I reckon.

They do have a way of knocking the wind out of your sails with process. I think it was a harder trial than the IVA, at least in terms of the patience and tongue-biting required!

mrwibble

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeteS2k
Hang on in there! Just park any perceptions of logic or common sense for a while where DVLA are concerned. Varies from centre to centre, person to person, and week to week, I reckon.

They do have a way of knocking the wind out of your sails with process. I think it was a harder trial than the IVA, at least in terms of the patience and tongue-biting required!

indeed perhaps you should be incredibly smiley and bring them all cake and biscuits, just to f**k with their tiny minds, they'll prolly call the police...

Confused but excited.

posted on 13/5/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Can't you argue the point that it is a NEW vehicle?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/5/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, after all, it won't need an MOT for 3 years, just the same as a new car??

Anyhow, well done and you'll soon forget it all I'm sure as you enjoy our long hot summer

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 13/5/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
only becasue I thought it was nearly over and wanted a Sunday blat with my mates. I am actually happy, just massively impatient.

I feel your pain but it'll be worth it in the end and trying to force the issue with DVLA is about as much use as banging your head against a wall.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

dave-69isit

posted on 16/5/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
welldone weres the piks lol

Promai Joe

posted on 16/5/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mackei23b
This may be what you are looking for:
http://www.betterregulation.gov.uk/ideas/viewidea.cfm?proposalid=3331ed493d6b444d97bc03a2bbba312b&tunnel=bl

Cheers

Ian

I phone the DVLA today, but no one at Swansea would comment on the above information, they also don't talk to the public from the local offices. The best they would offer is the name of the manager at the Wimbledon branch, so I have had to write a letter.

I was super nice, commented on their excellent customer service, mentioned the aboveruling and basically begged so I don't have to spend more money and take further holiday. We will see if this helps or if they will stand behind their redtape and make me jump through hoops like a dog at a show!

I will keep you posted folks

The Black Flash

posted on 16/5/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
They really are a gang of chimps aren't they?
Still, you'll get there soon, one way or another

Humbug

posted on 16/5/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi everyone,

Firstly I passed today at Mitchem, all the modifications went well, but still had to move my side repeaters at the centre. I will post a seperate thread (in the electrics section) on this for others to learn from. In my opinion the within the IVA process there seems to be to much difference in testers interpretation of the rules.

After getting my "ticket" and nearly loosing it straight away for adjusting my speedo back to a sensible reading didn't want a speeding ticket on the way home, possibly not the best place to do this, in their yard! (my speedo works off the front wheel and the tester wanted to see it read 20mph in top gear at 1500rpm, the real speed was nearly 35mph, but apparently sat nav and a speed gun were not enough proof).

So I thrashed the car home (awesome fun) and got in my diesel Civic to the DVLA (stange contrast). After queing for a bit I was seen and now the DVLA have demanded to see my vehicle. I was aware this could happen, but I am going for a Q plate not an age related or new, so not really anything to prove, its just old used components which I have receipts for.

I gave them the IVA certificate with all of the information on signed off by another government body only hours before, but apparently this is not enough proof! I explained to the people I spoke to, I have no more leave from work and cannot afford to hire trailer & van for a 30 second check over. They have my full build documentation with about 60 photos and a wallet of receipts. I also suggested witnessed photos and driving the examiner to my house, to no avail.

It is just so frustrating, today has cost me another £265 (£90 retest, £55 registration, £118 6-months tax, £2 for using a credit card!) It is hardly lowcost!

Somewhere along the line, I am the customer and I am purchasing a service but I don't feel the customer service has been anywhere near pleasant. Anyway nearly there and hopefully I will get some summer motoring in or before petrol is £2/litre.
Whinge over.

[Edited on 13/5/11 by Promai Joe]

Sorry to hear of your woes... but I am confused: they say they need to see the car in order to register it but you still had to pay all the registration fee, road tax etc. anyway?

Promai Joe

posted on 17/5/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Don't you always have to pay? I have lean't nothing is free in this world when it comes to government bodies with 4 letter abbreviations!
stevegough

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, you'll be on the road before you know it.

I wasn't aware of the change to the ruling, but I can tell you (mainly to add to your frustration!!) that both my car and the one built by rallyingden which both passed IVA earlier this year did not need to be inspected by the DVLA guys at Preston. Don't know why, but the first I knew about it was a letter through the post after leaving my docs for one of the two kit-car DVLA men to process. The letter simply said, pay up and an inspection by this office will not be necessary.

The link mentioned earlier may be the reason? My car was then regisered on a 'K' plate. - Rallyingden's is a 'Q' I think.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Promai Joe

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Well yesterday, as I do not have a trialer or a tow ball I had the vehicle picked up by a recovery firm and driven over to Wimbledon DVLA.

The guy came out looked at the chassis number, then went back in. He came out a few minutes later and said ok. I question how this has proved anything, both chassis numbers on the vehicle and vin plate could have been made and put on the vehicle and everything stolen. Utterly pointless execise and set me back another £65.

I now have to sit back and wait for their letter and my reg number. Hopefully next weekend I will be speeding round the country roads of surrey, obviously at the correct speed officer.

The only bonus of this whole DVLA nonsence was that the recovery truck driver was an interesting guy, recommended some reading on driving legal issues, will probably cover in another thred if I can find a decent link.

If you are in the south London area I would recommend this guy if you need a vehicle moved.
London Car Recovery

mrwibble

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
sorted anyway.

bunch of chimps is right.

big_wasa

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yep they are doing a great job of putting people of getting one on the road.
Promai Joe

posted on 24/5/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
The DVLA acknowledged my letter but also said on cars of parts of unknown origin the ruling on the better regulation website did not count, not sure where age related would sit, but they would accept this for new builds.

On a positive note they finally came through and I have my licence plate number - I am very excited and cannot wait to get home to put the plates on.

Hope to see some of you soon at some events.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.