Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel fouls on wishbone
Toprivetguns

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel fouls on wishbone

I have an MK Indy R with a set of 15'' Alloys on all round. I just fitted them today and found after 1.5 turns of the steering wheel, the inner portion of the wheel fouls on the wishbone.

I assume this is a common fault and I need to restrict the movement on the steering rack itself?

Cheers

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

nick205

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Does it do it both sides the same?

What width/profile tyres are fitted?

mcerd1

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
^^ and what offset are the wheels

-

Toprivetguns

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres are 195/45/15 Toyo T1-Rs with Rally Design Alloy wheels (ET38mm) and yes the same on both sides unfortunately

[Edited on 24/5/11 by Toprivetguns]

martyn_16v

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, mine did that. I made up a pair of sleeves that go around the ends of the fixed section of the steering rack to limit it's travel. You have to be very careful if you go this way to ensure that it couldn't accidentally jam the steering if it failed, and that Mr IVA tester doesn't see it.
mark chandler

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Drop a collar around the rack pinion (under the gaters) to restrict movement, some people use jubilee clips I prefered something more solid.
Toprivetguns

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
So a common fault even though the wheel offest is correct according to MK?

How very interesting! Thanks for all the input so far guys !

blakep82

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a bigger photo?
from that tiny photo, it looks like you only have a lower wishbone on? is the whole system fuly built up?

you can but collars from radio spares (RS) which is a plastic ring clamp thing, think people use those to limit the turn

something from here

[Edited on 24/5/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Offset isnt the only contributing factor, the width of the rim counts for a lot, if you have et38 rims that are 5.5 inch wide and go up to 7 inch wide but keep the et38 you add half the extra 1.5inch to the inside edge.
Im not sure what MK recommend as standard, but if its based on standard Sierra alloys this may be the difference?

Toprivetguns

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry blakep82, this is all I could manage in a rush. However in answer to your question yes my suspension is fully set up. From everyone's response (which is why I love this forum) a restrictor clamp on the rack seems to be a solution to my problem.

One step forward, two steps back hey ! lol

Toprivetguns

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
loggyboy, you are right. The fact they are 7'' wide contributes to the problem. However Ive noticed alot of MKs with Team Dynamics 1.2s and im sure they only come in this width aswell. Not to worry, Ive found some closure lol !

mad-butcher

posted on 24/5/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
not a design fault just the result on all of this type car of not having a dedicated steering rack
6mm ally
[img] Rescued attachment DSC00279.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00279.JPG
[/img]

[img] Rescued attachment limiter.jpg
Rescued attachment limiter.jpg
[/img]

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
The 7" wheels are the problem min has 5.5" up front an no problems you could aways fit a wheel spacer

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mistergrumpy

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

not a design fault just the result on all of this type car of not having a dedicated steering rack

Surely a design fault then. That is, designing a car to be used with a steering rack that doesn't suit.

Bluemoon

posted on 27/5/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
quote:

Surely a design fault then. That is, designing a car to be used with a steering rack that doesn't suit.

No not a design fault if you used the sierra wheels it's fine. As others mentioned as you change the wheel width you also need to change the offset to avoid this. The only problem I had was the wing stays fowled on full lock, fixed with hammering a ding into the wing stays, now I have a turning circle that would put a london taxi to shame; personally I didn't like the idea of modifying the rack (the same goes for the spring fix for self centring "fix" not something I would want to go wrong..

Dan

Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/5/11 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
quote:

No not a design fault if you used the sierra wheels it's fine. As others mentioned as you change the wheel width you also need to change the offset to avoid this. The only problem I had was the wing stays fowled on full lock, fixed with hammering a ding into the wing stays, now I have a turning circle that would put a london taxi to shame; personally I didn't like the idea of modifying the rack (the same goes for the spring fix for self centring "fix" not something I would want to go wrong..

Dan

If you change Offset, then you change Scrub Radius which may be detrimental to self centering.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 29/5/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ah. I understand now. I stand corrected
Bluemoon

posted on 1/6/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
quote:

Dan

If you change Offset, then you change Scrub Radius which may be detrimental to self centering.

^^ quite and I suspect that has a lot to do with the "non-self-catering" issues, mine does and is getting better as time goes on (new joints free up) wide wheels are not always the best option for many reasons...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.