Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Refinery Explosion
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/6/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Refinery Explosion

You might have seen on the news about a refinery explosion last night in pembrokeshire. I live really close and heard the blast saw the smoke, sad news 4 people killed one I knew pretty well and the others through friends

Stay safe out there,

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

britishtrident

posted on 3/6/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
At least it wasn't another Flixborough sadly as anybody who worked in the petroleum industry knows it is a risk that is inherent with the job, the inevitable inquiry will have to look to see in corners were cut in to reduce costs either by not following proper tank cleaning and degassing procedures or by failures of staff training by either the company or its contractors.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Gordy

posted on 3/6/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've put scaffolding up in few petrochem plants around the country and this tragedy comes as no surprise as a lot of the older plants have been run into ground, maximum profits- minimum maintenance.
britishtrident

posted on 4/6/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect the reason BP sold off the Grangemouth Refinery was because it was fast becoming geriatric and they didn't want to become exposed to the risk of bad publicity if something went very wrong.

As companies use more and more outside contractors in an effort to drive down costs, the control of contractors with regard to safety procedures becomes a massive problem, and of course personnel get into bad habits and underestimate the risks involved, it may turn out an extra hour steaming and ventilating or just better house keeping might have prevented the tragedy.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.