Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: terminating swa
JoelP

posted on 3/6/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
terminating swa

Hi all. Ive not done much work with swa so i thought id ask some advice here. I need to link 16mm 3 core swa to regular 16mm meter tails. For the location it needs to be in a metal adaptable box, but what would you put inside it to actually make the connection? Or would it be easier to put it into a switch?

Cheers!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

big-vee-twin

posted on 3/6/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
You use an adaptable box with Din rail mounted connectors inside, if the box is going outside it need to be IP65, I have to say as an electrician that if you don't know this you shouldn't be doing the job.

Yes you could use a adequately rated isolator to joint them too. If you are actually joining to mater tails to move a consumer unit then you have to use a switch and it needs to be within a couple of meters of the energy meter, this will be classed as the origin of the supply by electric board.

If you are moving the consumer unit a long way you need to consider voltage drop and may need to install a larger cable say 25mm, but this should be calculated properly

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

JoelP

posted on 3/6/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the pointer there. SWA isnt something i usually work with (in fact, only once before) but the job needs doing.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/6/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
you come up and fit my kitchen and i will come and do the sparking

greglogan

posted on 4/6/11 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
As above if you're not familiar with terminating armoured cable then I would suggest you pay someone to do it. A LOT of current will be flowing through this connection and if not terminated properly will result in a lot of heat build up which will cause serious problems. Connections have been known to loosen over time as the cables expand and contract as they heat up and cool depending on load and this can cause serious problems.

Not worth the risk imho.

Greg.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.