Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New MEV
matty h

posted on 5/6/11 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
New MEV

Anyone got any details on the new MEV that is been released at Newark. From what I have heard it is Maxda MX5 based does not require a IVA and is a coupe car which will be able to be built for £3000. It sounds seriously intresting and can not wait until Newark to see it.
dave

posted on 5/6/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Its the one in the banner at the top of the page.

iank

posted on 5/6/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
There's a teaser thread on the MEV forum.
http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/

http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=shows&action=display&thread=1347

I suspect pictures will appear over there pretty quickly, with sonic posting here pretty soon afterwards

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ashg

posted on 5/6/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
yes there is a new car coming and i can confirm it will be unveiled at newark. I know a bit more but stuart has sworn me to secrecy

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

matty h

posted on 6/6/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Spoil sport looks like I will have to wait until Newark then to see if the car is capable of been my next project.
stig mills

posted on 7/6/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, it's not the Exocet, that was launched last year at Newark, for this year I have developed a full body kit to turn an MX5 MK1 into a sharp modern coupe, it retains the doors and windscreen and the moncoque so no IVA is required. We remove the front wings bonnet, boot lid, front and rear bumpers and lights (sell em on ebay to get your donor money back) and then fit a 2 piece moulding with door cappings and sills. I have taken styling influences from our friends in Hethal. I have promised not to show pictures yet though as the organisers of the show hope more people will visit to see the new car. So rather than promote the car, we are helping to promote the show.
Please come and say hello in the bar or in the hall. It's my favorite show, I have been attending for 25 years!!!!!!!!!!!
I do hope there is a good turn out. I know there are more manufacturers booked than normal, and I look forward to seeing a fine display of various makes of kits too. I love to see the wild homemade one off's, they remind me of what it was like all those years ago. Sunshine booked, no excuses then!
Regards Stuart Mills.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 7/6/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
what benefits will there be over a £3k mk 1 mx5?

Kwik

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
what benefits will there be over a £3k mk 1 mx5?

well the mx5 is still labeled as a ahir dressers car (which i dont agree with) and if the kit looks nice it can change that and keep the mx5's awesome reliability and handling.

also with a lot of the metal being replaced by fiberglass, the weight should be reduced, and so should the rust if the sills are being replaced too

it sounds interesting, as i am considering going japanese with either a suzuki cappuccino (i know, but i can see the potential) but if this looks good, its in budget and i can insure it as a kit car (cheaper insurance over an mx5?) i may buy into this end of this year / start of next.

another benefit over other kit car coupes is the amount of engine and chassis mods you can already get for the mx5. im excited...

a question though, how will it work, is there an option where we can give you a donner car and you do the kit? as i have no garage and not much room. also how much will that option be considering you can sell the parts you take off?

also comming back to insurance, i guess it will be similar to those mx5/ferrari kits, how does the insurance work for them, is it under a kit car or body kit?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kwik

posted on 9/6/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
pictures !! i got pictures !!!

http://mevltd.co.uk/mevx5_gallery.htm

to me the front and back look like a ferrari and the middle looks, kind of like a mustang... (looking at the second pic along)

not sure if i like the look yet, will need to wait for finished pictures... and no convertable, which is half the fun in the mx5.

what i was hoping it would look like is:

indykid

posted on 10/6/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
It's a shameless copy of an Elise.

I don't understand....

An elan kit would have made far more sense, or something original

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/6/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
pictures !! i got pictures !!!

http://mevltd.co.uk/mevx5_gallery.htm

to me the front and back look like a ferrari and the middle looks, kind of like a mustang... (looking at the second pic along)

not sure if i like the look yet, will need to wait for finished pictures... and no convertable, which is half the fun in the mx5.

what i was hoping it would look like is:

There was a kit to make an MX5 look like that........ I would be straight down the bank to get some money.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
D Beddows

posted on 10/6/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but I don't really see the point! - it's not really any better looking than a MK1 MX5, can't see there being much (if ANY!) weight reduction as the MX5 bonnet is aluminum and weighs half of nothing, the bumpers/nose are plastic which leaves only the wings and the bootlid (and I'm betting that MEV GRP bodywork isn't going to be exactly featherweight).... it's not a convertible, doesn't have pop up headlights...... etc etc

I love a lot of MEV's ideas but not this one unfortunately - sorry

EDIT: I'm with indykid especialy the Elan bit - there are LOTS of people who would buy an original Elan bodywork kit or at least parts of it (me included) as they're prohibitively expensive to get from Japan

[Edited on 10/6/11 by D Beddows]

scootz

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I love a lot of MEV's ideas but not this one unfortunately - sorry

That about sums it up for me too!

I note that the car is being marketed as having "styling influences from our friends in Hethal (sic)". Too much methinks! The rear lower clam on the MEV looks almost exactly the same as the Elise one to me!

Interesting concept though.

It's Evolution Baby!

Kwik

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
It's a shameless copy of an Elise.

well i think the front lights are from the elise, or a lotus at least...

im going to hold judgment until i see a finished car...

meanwhile, ima look for a kit that looks like that jag...

edit:
http://www.simpsondesign.net/italia2.htm

that looks more the thing i want, but in america and too expensive.

[Edited on 10/6/11 by Kwik]

Guinness

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
EDIT: I'm with indykid especialy the Elan bit - there are LOTS of people who would buy an original Elan bodywork kit or at least parts of it (me included) as they're prohibitively expensive to get from Japan

[Edited on 10/6/11 by D Beddows]

Wasn't someone on here fitting an Elan bodyshell to an Indy?

Seemed like a project with great potential.

D Beddows

posted on 11/6/11 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The down side of the MX5 has to be the somewhat dated styling, it was always classed as soft and many have even been rude about the probable profession of the driver!

quote:

The other problems are faded paint, dents, leaking drafty roofs and only a small boot

Only just seen this bit of the 'sales' info.....not a prime example of how to win friends and influence people - 'couldn't you afford an Elise then?' would p*ss me off waaaay more than the hairdresser stuff lol - apart from that a decent soft top isn't 'draughty' and surely if you're not replacing the rear bodywork then surely the boot will be pretty much the same size.......

[Edited on 11/6/11 by D Beddows]

Kwik

posted on 11/6/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/retroforza/italia-1.jpg

that is what i was hoping for, shame the image has a photoshopped roof, without the roof it just looks average...

PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Better picture of the new Mevx5, I can see the appeal of the kit, if you have a old Mx5 with the usual faded paintwork, rusty wings and a knackered hood, this kit could be for you, at least there's no IVA to mess about with

indykid

posted on 16/6/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
if you have a old Mx5 with the usual faded paintwork, rusty wings and a knackered hood

Rusty wings and a knackered hood usually come with rusty sills and subframes though. I can't see I'd want to plough another £3k +paint +extras into a failing donor.

The front and back look too much like an elise to appeal to the market and the build price doesn't set it apart. It's like an offroad elise though...

It's the new banham X21 imho, though thankfully, only Metros met their fate for that one.

ETA - I assume the white one's on 17" wheels? Perhaps that's why it looks so high

[Edited on 16/6/11 by indykid]

swanny

posted on 16/6/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
personally i can see the appeal of the coupe, particularly since GTM are now no longer active.
at the moment i have a seven type car that i just dont drive enough due to lack of practocality. i can see the appeal of a full time couple that is a little bit different from most other stuff that has fairly reliable mecahnicals. i dare say they wouldnt be doing this is GTM still existed

paul

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/6/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Better picture of the new Mevx5, I can see the appeal of the kit, if you have a old Mx5 with the usual faded paintwork, rusty wings and a knackered hood, this kit could be for you, at least there's no IVA to mess about with

I like that quite alot, seems like the MX5 hardtop that there always should have been.

Looks modern and uses a great chassis, without any preconceptions on the owners. Sounds like a good recipe to me.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Sonic7

posted on 18/6/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

...........I suspect pictures will appear over there pretty quickly, with sonic posting here pretty soon afterwards

Not wishing to disappoint

(not my pics credit where credit due 'steve amv8' pistonheads)

eddie99

posted on 18/6/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Actually i think those pics of it in the flesh do it more justice than the pic posted earlier in the post. Maybe it'll grow on me but i cant see there is a demand to put a new bodywork on an mx5 but in fairness. I don't think its aimed at what we know as kit car builders. Maybe more tuning car type people.
scootz

posted on 18/6/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty enough and may indeed do well, but it's too much of a Lotus rip-off for me.

It's Evolution Baby!

tomgregory2000

posted on 18/6/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Someone drove an elise into an mx5

I like the idea, but not the end product.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.