Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: front brakes
Arthur T wareing

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
front brakes

Hi I have cortina front uprights and hubs and would like to uprate the front brakes to 4 pot callipers what's the cheapest way of doing this or would better pads be enough the rears are sierra disk brakes and I need to improve the balance I have seen princes callipers on ebay but they have spacers in them can I get vented disks for cortina or is it possible to remove spacers and it so will I need shorter bolts. Why is everything so complicated when I built a Westfield it was so easey. regards Arthur
steve m

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have Princess 4 pot calipers on my locost, they are heavy, but much better than the standard M16 calipers
I use green stuff pads, but might go to Mintex as the green stuff need to be quite hot before they work well

As fo the rear setup, personly, i believe the standard drum setup to be about right, as my car is very light at the back, and on heavy braking i can feel and hear the rears locking up, and disks would make the about 80% more efficent, and would be permantly locked up!

Only my views,

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/6/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I did a bulk buy on wilwood powerlites. £300 for calipers, discs, pads and fitting kit. Might beable to sort it out for you if interested

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RACER101

posted on 6/6/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
The Princess calipers with spacers fitted will be just fine (albeit slightly on the heavy side) and, yes, you can get vented discs to fit your uprights from Rally Design etc.

Used to use these calipers on a racing Westfield (fitted with a 230 BHP Swindon Racing Engines Vauxhall) and it was never short of stopping power.

The only thing you need to be careful of is ensure that the small transfer pipe on each caliper is correctly fitted or the calipers won't work at all.

Cheers,
John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.