Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bought a car on ebay - now I can't buy it. Help
Irony

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Bought a car on ebay - now I can't buy it. Help

Before you all shout at me and burn me for being a heretic I haven't done this before. I have 100% feedback and over 300 transactions.

I am looking for a car for my girlfriend as she has just past her test (at 27!!!!! passed first time though). I tried to insure her on my GOLF GT TDI 150 but swiftcover just said 'NO'. Simply 'NO'. I am/was looking for a Polo/Ibiza/Fabia 1.4 16v as they are cheap on insurance and then last night a Seat Ibiza 1.9 SDI came on ebay and I flung in a bid maybe £150 quid lower than I thought it would go and I won it. The SD1 is soooo slow I thought it would also be cheap on insurance but no. Turns out the insurance company works on engine capacity rather than power. Tried to get the missus insured on it and again simply 'no' even though it has half the power of my golf the insurance remains the same.

I could

1. Tell the seller, sorry mate and explain
2. Drive the 2.5 hours and then drive 2 cars back, then sell it.
3. Send the seller a email and offer to pay the listing fees.

What happens if I refuse to buy it and he 'reports' me to ebay. I have a good ebay rating and I would rather not spoil it. However 1 negative wouldn't be a problem.

help

[Edited on 7/6/11 by Irony]

franky

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
3. Email him the above and offer to pay the listing fees

Thats a fair way of doing it.

[Edited on 7/6/11 by franky]

scootz

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
^^^what he said^^^

It's Evolution Baby!

Irony

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
The car went for £850 and there was no reserve. What is the average cost on ebay to list this sort of thing?
Snuggs

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Try a different insurance company.

My stepson (23) easily got insured on a 1.8 Almera Sport after only passing his test 3 months earlier and only 1 month after totalling his astra

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

Snuggs

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
The car went for £850 and there was no reserve. What is the average cost on ebay to list this sort of thing?

£40 fixed fee I think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

karlak

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Personally,

I would buy it and then re-sell it.

None of the above was the sellers fault

I dont know what the bid amount under yours was, but you could offer to pay the difference between that Bid and yours - Assuming the 2nd bidder wants the car as a second chance offer.

Edit: think i have found the sale. The second bidder offered £20 less than you. See if you can get the sellers phone number and call them. I am sure that if they can selll to the 2nd bidder and you pay him the £20 difference. All would be happy ?

[Edited on 7/6/11 by karlak]

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

McLannahan

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi - Having just been messed around on this exact issue....

Listing fee is £8. This is the least you could offer.

The final sale fee on that car would be £20. However he'd only be invoiced for this once the sale has gone through. If you didn't buy the car and he re-listed he'd not be charged that fee until the car did sell.

However.....You can't give negative feedback as the seller to you the buyer!!! So you've got nothing to loose by offering him the £8 (I think I may even get this back but my idiot buyer did pay me this back) and then walking away explaining the circumstances. He CANNOT leave you negative feedback (although he'll damn wish he could! )

HTH

to add....

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/motorfees.html

stevegough

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
As already said - don't let swiftcover dictate to you over this - shop around, it is a simple matter of putting her details on confused.com or Go Compare! or compare der meercat

Simples.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

blakep82

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
as above, try go compare, etc,
i was with norwich union for my G reg bmw 318, £450 a month it was. bought a N reg 328 and they wanted to double the cost. foreigner said there was an embargo or something...

anyway, went to elephant, £400 for the 328. don't stick with swift cover, there are plenty who will insure. cost might still be high as she's only just passed, but thats going to be the case with any car really

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Irony

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies - I expected to be banned from ebay or something. I will email him and offer to pay the difference between the 2nd bidders bid or the listing fees.

I can't change insurance companies as I need to be insured on it and I am with Swiftcover

emidas

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
The transaction was completed in good faith by both parties and if I was the seller, I'd be pretty hacked off if the buyer wanted to default (which is what this amounts to), whatever the reason.

I've bid before a and won stuff that I was not expecting to - I've had to bite the bullet, go through with the purchase and then sold it on, sometimes at a loss and sometimes at a profit. Perhaps make the enquiries about paying the seller's fees etc but I think you should be prepared to honour your side of the deal.

I can understand you not wanting to go through with it but if everybody was to do this, the whole Ebay concept, which is based on honesty, faith and commitment, would fall apart.

Irony

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
Personally,

I would buy it and then re-sell it.

None of the above was the sellers fault

I dont know what the bid amount under yours was, but you could offer to pay the difference between that Bid and yours - Assuming the 2nd bidder wants the car as a second chance offer.

Edit: think i have found the sale. The second bidder offered £20 less than you. See if you can get the sellers phone number and call them. I am sure that if they can selll to the 2nd bidder and you pay him the £20 difference. All would be happy ?

[Edited on 7/6/11 by karlak]

Godd idea - how did you manage to search for a item that has previously been sold? I didn't think that was possible.

JoelP

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
advanced search / include finished listings

or something along those lines.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

designer

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Really you should 'bite the bullet' as you bid so you should buy.

Reverse the situation and you would not be too pleased.

If too many people start doing this the whole ethos of Ebay will suffer!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Thanks for the replies - I expected to be banned from ebay or something. I will email him and offer to pay the difference between the 2nd bidders bid or the listing fees.

I can't change insurance companies as I need to be insured on it and I am with Swiftcover

i'm with elephant as i mentioned, but i'm also a named driver on my dads car, and he's with aviva i think, my mums a named driver on mine (reduced the cost by £100) and she's with some sort of RBS company i think. you can be a named driver with a different company. unless i'm missing something? i don't pay too much attention to insurance things, they take my money and thats it really

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Irony

posted on 7/6/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have sent the fella a email explaining the situation. Thankyou for the replies. I have offered him the relisting fees or the difference between my bid and the second highest bid etc. Guess he'll be cheesed off though.

Thanks to all those who made me feel really guilty and pointed out my lack of honour etc. I shall be hanging my head in shame for some time.

Humbug

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I see that you've emailed the seller now, but...

For another car: as above - try the comparison sites (all the major ones, not just one - I have often found one or the other has a significantly cheaper option not available in the others).

Money Saving Expert has a guide here

Also, some of the insurers give a better deal for women (though I think they can't discriminate any more?)

Good luck

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Well, going against the grain a bit I'd say, this sort of thing happens all the time. I've had about 10'occasions when I've won something dirt cheap and the seller claims it's suddenly "broken".

eBay is full of idiots on both sides of the fence, did message him and explain, offer to pay his listing fee of £8. Though you could pay nothing and there is nothing he can do.

You will get a non payment item strike, get 3 in a 6 month period and you will be banned from some auctions till the 6 months lapses. He has to give the item strike though, or he has to pay eBay fees on the 850...which will be a lot!

adam1985

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I have sold something before but the never paid or collected.
i went through the resolution center and theres a area for this they canceled the listing fees for me.

Liam

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emidas
the whole Ebay concept, which is based on honesty, faith and commitment, would fall apart.

Ah ha ha ha ah ahaaa haa ahaaaaahah In your utopian dreams, maybe! Have you seen some of the scumbags that use Ebay?? All tongue in cheek - i agree with you in principle

OP - shoulda bought it. If you really couldn't sort out insurance, which would be surprising (I mean my wife is 29 and on a provisional license, but still reduces my premium on a 3 litre car), then you could have bullsh**ed it up a bit and sold it on. You did say it went for less than you expected.

Ah well. I should imagine there's a forum somewhere out there with a new thread today "Ebay to**er - what should I do"

[Edited on 7/6/11 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

Ah well. I should imagine there's a forum somewhere out there with a new thread today "Ebay to**er - what should I do"

[Edited on 7/6/11 by Liam]

LOL

Alfa145

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Why not check the cost of insurance first before buying a car? There are plenty of online insurance websites that you can put hypothetical cars into to see what the insurance cost would be. If not you could be buying lots of cars before you find one that is sensible to insure.
Irony

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I cannot get different insurance. My policy with Swiftcover already exists and I will need to transfer it over to the new car. My girlfriend will probably be a second driver on my policy until she can get proper job.

You guys are probably right and there is another forum labelled 'ebay to@@er' If he throws a major wobbler when he emails me back I will send him more cash

tony-devon

posted on 7/6/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
years back I got caught out like this through no fault of my own, just damned bad luck on my part, I was looking for a bike, bid on several, didnt get to be the high bidder on them, bid on a few more, and the same, was about 11 bikes in my bidding on section of myebay, then I found one, bid on it, was winning it, and won it, then within a 24 hour period I "won 4 others" people withdrawing their bids left me as the high bidder

at the time I was running a small business on the ebay account, didnt need the hassle, got a load of poo for it from the sellers, called a timewaster etc, but in the end I contacted ebay, showed them the history of bids, the fact that I had bought the bike I had won, they didnt exactly rush around, but eventually it got sorted.

I felt terrible when it happened, but was just poo luck on my part, now I bid on one thing at a time, too damned scared of it happening again

worst case scenario for you is about £40 costs in my opinion, or if he files non paying bidder, then he gets the costs back, and your just left with a red face.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.