Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anodising at home.
chris-g

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Anodising at home.

After reading the following I tried anodising at home.
http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml
http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html
http://www.astronomiainumbria.org/advanced_internet_files/meccanica/easyweb.easynet.co.uk/_chrish/t-anodis.htm

I have had good results and successfully used black printer ink to dye the parts. Tried Dylon but I think it has been re-packaged since the above articles were written and stuff I got didn't take to the aluminium.
Here are a couple of photos of my test pieces and equipment.

The small round black/silver coloured part was lightly polished with metal polish to improve the surface finish. Following the dying and sealing process, the surface was matt and patchy.
I would encourage any one to give it a got but carefully read the above articles and remember to take full precautions with the chemicals used.

[Edited on 9/6/11 by chris-g]

designer

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Exellent, been thinking about this for a while, as I want to do some aluminium.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris-g

posted on 9/6/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Here are dyes I used, the Dylon didn't work,there was another type of Dylon on the shelf in Winkinsons but I have not yet tried it.

I hope to post some photos of actual parts successfully anodised and dyed soon.

chris-g

posted on 12/6/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Here are some the parts for my Spyder Silverstone that I have successfully anodised and coloured black.

It looks like that low temperature aluminium welding repair stuff such as Technoweld doesn't like to be anodised and is instead eaten away. I need more experiment to confirm this but its worth bearing in mind.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the Dylon that people used to use was the one that comes in little aluminium cans about 30mm dia x 10mm high. The idea was that you spiked the can and poured the contents into a quantity of water.

If you google "dylon cold water dye" then you'll find it.

[Edited on 12/6/11 by David Jenkins]

chris-g

posted on 12/6/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
That type of dye is not listed on the Dylon web site. It may still be available from some shops as old stock and I will be keeping an eye out for it. Proper anodising dye is available on ebay so I may give that a try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.