Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a lap timer
Gergely

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a lap timer

Hi, I'm looking for a lap timer for the car. I have never had one before, but it must be better than someone on the side pressing the buttons...

Can you recommend something that would be best for track days, non-racing track driving? I guess fastest lap, current lap display would be nice...

Thanks!
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a windows or nokia fone with GPS?

http://racechrono.com/

Its as accurate as GPS can be (pretty good!) and gives pretty extensive analysis.

mark chandler

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Can you get something like that for a backberry ?
Ham

posted on 10/6/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
That is awesome, cannot believe it is so simple

Thanks

RickRick

posted on 10/6/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
what do you use to read the log.log file it creates?
loggyboy

posted on 10/6/11 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
what do you use to read the log.log file it creates?

EDIT:
There is a windows (desktop os) software that you can use.
http://racechrono.com/download/

[Edited on 10/6/11 by loggyboy]

britishtrident

posted on 10/6/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
There are Apps for Android Phones a which are a good bit cheaper than an iPhone or Windows phone.

Get an Orange San Francisco (about 110 quid from Argos) unlock it, root it and load it with Android 2.2 Swedish Spring and you have a brillant smart phone, then find the "trackmaster" app in Android Markets --- simples !

Trackmaster

Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade)

[Edited on 10/6/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 10/6/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
There are Apps for Android Phones a which are a good bit cheaper than an iPhone or Windows phone.

Get an Orange San Francisco (about 110 quid from Argos) unlock it, root it and load it with Android 2.2 Swedish Spring and you have a brillant smart phone, then find the app in Android Markets --- simples !

You can pick up windows based phones with built in GPS for next to nothing (2nd hand). I dont know of many apps that are as comprehensive as race chrono.

britishtrident

posted on 10/6/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Get an Orange San Francisco (about 110 quid from Argos) unlock it, root it and load it with Android 2.2 Swedish Spring and you have a brillant smart phone, then find the app in Android Markets --- simples !

You can pick up windows based phones with built in GPS for next to nothing (2nd hand). I don't know of many apps that are as comprehensive as race chrono.

Would you buy a second phone without knowing it was legit ? any cheap Windows phone from a source you don't know it likely to be stolen. My daughter's friend's husband was mugged by 5 guys for his iPad on Monday --- I dare say somebody will be offering it at a silly price.

In any case anything that runs windows is .............................................................................

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RoadkillUK

posted on 10/6/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
RaceChrono is coming to Android.

Quotes from the Author on THIS site.

"RaceChrono 2.0 will be just for Android."

"The 2.0 doesn't exist yet. It will be totally new but only for Android. It will be modern smart phone app with modern user interface. But both still measure lap times... The 2.0 betas will be available late summer (august?) if all goes well."

Looking forward to it

[Edited on 10/6/11 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RickRick

posted on 10/6/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
good job i've got dual boot win 6.5/android on my hd2
loggyboy

posted on 10/6/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Would you buy a second phone without knowing it was legit ? any cheap Windows phone from a source you don't know it likely to be stolen. My daughter's friend's husband was mugged by 5 guys for his iPad on Monday --- I dare say somebody will be offering it at a silly price.

In any case anything that runs windows is .............................................................................

Paranoia! Mobile phones that get stolen get their IMEI No blocked so its fairly easy to know if its legit, buy through ebay and your protected anyway!

Gergely

posted on 10/6/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, but I don't have a smartphone. I have a Blackberry and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be apps for them, even though I have GPS in it.
How about a non-smart phone lap timer? What would you recommend?
I have found a GPS lap timer on ebay for about 200 quid. But I would like to know if there are any others I should know about...
Gergely

Our build pictures

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.