Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: titanium R1 can has catalyst?
Mave

posted on 22/7/04 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
titanium R1 can has catalyst?

Does anyone know if the "blue-ish" titanium R1 can has a catalyst? If yes, is it in the 2002 model, as well as the 2003 model?!?!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 22/7/04 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think any of them do, do they? I have a carbon one and that doesn't.
Mave

posted on 22/7/04 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I concluded it from this page:
http://www.freewebs.com/mega-r1/november.html
(slightly below the middle of the entire page)

But this lets me think otherwise:
http://www.striker1.plus.com/svaprep.html

That's got me confused.... I have such a can, and am planning to use it (heavy car engine). And was just wondering....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ive not heard of them having a cat as standard, maybe the later ones have but certainly the earlier blue cans don't as I know Rich (StrikerR1) had to get one fitted inside his can.
Having had a google and looking here (2nd paragraph) it says that you can get a cat replacement Y Piece pipe for the R1, so that would seem to suggest that the cat is in the manifold after the collector, and not in the can itself.
It could also be that the one with a cat in is from a foreign spec bike (California maybe?) as Im pretty sure bikes still don't need cats here in the UK.

Chris

ChrisBradley04

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
All cans from the injection R1's have a catalytic converter in them (2002 and 2003 model). That said, it is very small and was not sufficient to pass SVA in my BEC.

All cans from the carb models (1998-2001) do NOT have catalytic converters. This is the can used by Rich Miles on his Striker site.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

BTW - the code stamped on the can with the cat fitted is 5PW.

Regards
Chris
www.fisherfury.com

ChrisBradley04

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
The cat is in the link pipe bit just before the can, which all comes as one unit. I have the 2002/2003 workshop manuals which would give the position in pictures but I can't appear to copy just one small picture from it to post here.

The bike cat took my HC down from 1300ppm to about 300pm, which failed SVA. I had to fit a cat from a 1 litre car in the end and it went down to 18ppm. In terms of size, the bike cat is about 50% the size of a car one and about 30% as dense.

Regards
Chris

Mave

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Now that's good information!

Chris (Fury): why did you change to another can in the end, when you had two R1 cans to choose from?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/7/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
No probs Chris, I know exactly where you mean (having chopped up an earlier carbon R1 can myself)
I wonder if you could run two of those cats in line and get a better result, or would the second one not get hot enough to work properly?

Chris

ChrisBradley04

posted on 23/7/04 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
The real problem I had with these cans is that they are made in titanium, which meant I couldn't easily get the link pipe welded to my stainless steel manifold. I had adaptors made up, but couldn't get a gas tight seal as the link pipe has a bend in it just before it enters the can. The gas tight seal is essential for SVA (lambda).

As I can't TIG weld it was costing a fortune to experiment, so I bought a silencer that fitted out of the box - cutting my losses I guess.

The R1 can is light and quite quiet (98db at SVA) so would liked to have kept it had I had the time to mess about with it.

Regards
Chris

kingr

posted on 23/7/04 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a catalysed R1 can on my car (not yet through SVA), but it certainly wasn't a breeze to fit, I had to cut the and reweld the link pipe (titanium) in two places, then have a length of 2 1/2" machined out and sweated a short length of titanium tube into it.

There's probably a picture or two in my archive, if you want more detail, fire away.

Kingr

Mave

posted on 25/7/04 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is the link-pipe from titanium??! Are you sure? I thought only the outside of the can was! And that the link-pipe was ordinary stainless steel... (but I'm might be wrong!)
Anyway, Kingr, your manifold looks fantastic? Did it yourself?

ChrisBradley04

posted on 25/7/04 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The welder did a 'spark test' on it and then on a piece of stainless and they were very different.

Is there any way I could tell as I still have a piece of the link pipe? It would be very handy if it was stainless as I want to use it for something else.

kingr

posted on 26/7/04 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mave - I thought it was just the centre of the box that was Ti as well, but I began to suspect something was up with the link pipe when I used a slitting disc to cut it and got a shower of bright white sparks (and not a lot of progress). When I came to weld, I could introduce stainless into the weld pool happily enough, but the moment it started to cool it would crack.

Thanks for the compliment on my manifold. Yes, I made the manifold myself, it was actually one of the quicker and easier parts of the build, and very satisfying.

Chris - As with everything else it could be either, but if it's got a catalyst it's probably Ti. One way that you can probably tell would be to measure the O.D. - if it's around 50mm, it's stainless and if it's around 60mm it's Ti.

It's seems total overkill to me to use Ti for the link pipe, but I'm sure Yamaha had their reasons. Maybe they had problems with the old ones cracking or something? It's certainly a very cost inefficient way of saving weight.

Kingr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.