Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 in the wet....grow some then try it on 2 wheels
bmseven

posted on 13/6/11 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
F1 in the wet....grow some then try it on 2 wheels

Well done Bradley Smith in the British Moto2 Grand Prix at a a very wet Silverstone with no Safety Car starts, home star Bradley Smith rides from 28th to 2nd!

Some epic racing from Silverstone over the weekend in rather wet conditions with no safety car was far more entertaining than F1

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

SeanStone

posted on 13/6/11 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
looks like someones got a point to make!
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 13/6/11 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't se the bikes but I have to say following the restart in drying conditions was some of the most enjoyable f1 I've seen
vinny1275

posted on 13/6/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
It was a great motorsport weekend - the Le Mans finish was exciting with the winning Audi 13 only seconds ahead of the following Peugeot, the motoGP was exciting, and the F1, once it was restarted was awesome.

You can go on forever about how the MotoGP went on in the wet with no safety cars, but they are allowed a spare bike which is set up for the wet conditions even though it was dry in qualifying (F1 cars aren't allowed to be worked on between quali and the race), none of the F1 teams have done any wet running on this year's tyres - for all they knew they'd have no grip at all, and Silverstone is a dedicated race circuit with ample gravel run-offs, whereas Canada is a part-time circuit with actual roads mixed in, and very little distance to the next tyre barrier. Not to mention the several riders, including Lorenzo, who couldn't handle the wet and dropped it....

I agree that they didn't need to start the F1 race behind the safety car, but once the rain came down as hard as it did and didn't clear off the road, suspending the race was the only thing they could have done, or there'd have been no cars left.

scootz

posted on 13/6/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Bikes don't have wooden planks running mm's from the deck under them!

It's Evolution Baby!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/6/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
F1 and Moto Gp is just a ridiculous comparison, its like trying to compare..... well I don't know but two completely different things.

I think a huge diffrence between F1 and Bikes in the wet is the amount of spray, the bikes make hardly any spray compared to the huge walls of visibilty blocking water spray that F1 cars make.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Surrey Dave

posted on 13/6/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmmmm

MotoGp is great but generally the 125's and Moto2's provide the best racing as the MotoGp bikes have the same problem that F1 had a few years ago , the bikes are too technical,have too many electronic rider aids , and not enough of the field have competitive machinery .

On top of that there are not enough riders in the MotoGp field , hopefully this will change when they bring back the 1000cc MotoGp bikes , even better if they ditch traction control so we can see the bikes sliding more!!!!!!

loggyboy

posted on 13/6/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Tell the motorcyclist to 'grow some' and try to corner (wet or dry) at same speed as F1 cars
blakep82

posted on 13/6/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Tell the motorcyclist to 'grow some' and try to corner (wet or dry) at same speed as F1 cars

and then grow another pair (does it work like that?) and try it without traction control and any other electronic business that makes you go in a straight line

[Edited on 13/6/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

vinny1275

posted on 13/6/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

and then grow another pair (does it work like that?) and try it without traction control and any other electronic business that makes you go in a straight line

Traction control's been banned in f1 for a number of years now, whereas the moto gp commentator was talking about the yamahas having a system that learned the grip for each corner, and moderated the throttle response accordingly!

blakep82

posted on 13/6/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
quote:
quote:

Traction control's been banned in f1 for a number of years now, whereas the moto gp commentator was talking about the yamahas having a system that learned the grip for each corner, and moderated the throttle response accordingly!

ah yeah, thats what i meant, bike riders should try racing in the same conditions, at the same cornering speeds, and without driver aids, like they don't have in f1, if that makes any more sense lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/6/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
quote:
quote:

ah yeah, thats what i meant, bike riders should try racing in the same conditions, at the same cornering speeds, and without driver aids, like they don't have in f1, if that makes any more sense lol

I think Kobayashi has proven that theory..... that man definately has some balls (and power sliding skills)

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 13/6/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
On a similar theme...

F1 in the wet

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 13/6/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Most, if not all riders (well good ones anyway) have in the past called for a reduction in the amount of electronics on their bikes.

discussion about electronics on race bikes

What you must also remember is that these sports are technology driven to a point that it is almost self perpetuating, look at the "blown diffuser" in F1 for example its a case of if its legal and one team has it and another does not then then team with the technical advantage has a time advantage, its NOT down to balls or skill in these instances its down to who can understand the vast amounts of technology available and implement it accordingly.

What you will find though is that the REALLY REALLY good guys in their respective sports all want NO electronic assistance, to remove the electronic playing field levelling devices....

Think Rossi on the brakes on worn tyres with no electronics going under Gibernau to utimately & fully destroy Gibernau's race pace/confidence mentally!!!!

SeanStone

posted on 13/6/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
That isn't true. Alonso has often said he wanted traction control back because he wants to race the fastest cars possible. Whatever your opinion on the man, his talent is unquestionable, beating Michael at his best for 2 years is no mean feat.

I think formula 1 is more technically challenging for all involved. I think people who race bikes have more 'balls' when it comes to how much they care about injuring themselves. Recently we've had some concussion and pains in ankles, but I seem to remember one of the bike riders was complaining about a broken collar bone?

Self preservation isn't a representation of the 'balls' someone has, I think it shows the level on inhibition within the person.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 13/6/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
That isn't true. Alonso has often said he wanted traction control back because he wants to race the fastest cars possible. Whatever your opinion on the man, his talent is unquestionable, beating Michael at his best for 2 years is no mean feat.

I think formula 1 is more technically challenging for all involved. I think people who race bikes have more 'balls' when it comes to how much they care about injuring themselves. Recently we've had some concussion and pains in ankles, but I seem to remember one of the bike riders was complaining about a broken collar bone?

Self preservation isn't a representation of the 'balls' someone has, I think it shows the level on inhibition within the person.

Ah but you forget one thing...

he "may" (an i use the term "may" very very loosely) have had at times some small glimmer of luck/talent

But in the main Alonso is a square jawed spanish poofter with a pole up his jaxi

the opinion about the person is immaterial, as any decent "racer" will always want FULL control of his own machine and its rather telling that if one wants a "driver aid" then maybe the machinery has been flattering their ability over the years and this "driver aid" has been misconstrued as skill !!!

[Edited on 13/6/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

SeanStone

posted on 13/6/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'd drive that quick with a pole there!
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/6/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
What people are also forgetting is the danger to marshals that severely wet F1 races pose.

When marshals go to aid one injured driver and another car piles into the same crash (as often happens in very wet races) the marshals are placed in severe danger just doing their (voluntary) job.

Martin Brundle himself ran over and severely injured a marshal in a monsoon race in Japan.

So before everyone gets on there high horse about growing some balls why not think about the other people put in danger. Bikes are travalling at lower speeds in the wet and so crash at lower speeds, but with F1 they are travelling almost as fast and slow down a lot less (due to aquaplaning) so the crashes are faster and less predictable.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.