Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: On the road.......WoooHooo
Slater

posted on 15/6/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
On the road.......WoooHooo

I got my Exotrax running and on the road a few weeks ago, and just got round to posting it up now.

The kit cost R1650 or £155 all in, the donor bike was only £120, so a good locost project. It's quite simple to build and the kit contained all the bits required. It pretty much started first time, you just pedal up to 10 kph, then dump the clutch!

It's a 49 cc 2 stroke engine from China, the quality is quite ropey but good value for the price. Great fun to ride (I've never really ridden a motorbike or even a scooter!), it does about 35 kph, but will go faster once run in. I've had to adjust the carb needle setting to cope with the altitude here (5,800ft). It seems to turn a few heads as folk can't see the engine, they just hear a noise like a petrol strimmer and I zoom past at a fair rate of knots with a big grin on my face.

I've not been out on the open road yet, just round our gated community. Done about 40 km so far. Great fun. I'm looking for another project now.....

here are some pics and a link to the youtube clip.

Youtube linker

linker to Ecotrax website

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

eddie99

posted on 15/6/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I want one!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Agriv8

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
looks good what are the legalities of using one on the road I wander.

Tax, insurance& Licence ect

Regards

AGriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

omega0684

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
is it any good at pulling wheelies?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slater

posted on 15/6/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
No tax, MOT, lights, registration or license required, as it's under 50cc. Bizarre, yes, but that's how things are in SA. I just need a cycle helmet.

I will modify the exhaust for extra performance and might fit slicks for more grip/less rolling resistance.

I have tried a wheelie yet.

Might fit a turbo.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Bluemoon

posted on 15/6/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mechanical how is the 2nd chain wheel attached to the wheel (have a mad electric bike idea, and am looking for good ways to attach the drive.)..??

Cheers

Dan

lotusmadandy

posted on 15/6/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome,i need one now!

Andy

Slater

posted on 15/6/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Dan
The big cog has a thick flat rubber ring behind it (about 10mm thick), there is another thick rubber ring which you cut and place inside the spokes. Then 2 semi-circular section go inside the spokes too (backing up the rubber ring). Nuts and bolts then hold the whole lot together, so the spokes are sandwiched betweeen the 2 rubber rings. It's takes a while to get it aligned and centered when tightening the bolts. It's crude but effective.

The Ecotrax website (link in my original post) has some instructions you can down load which describe it better.

Or I can e-mail them to you if you U2U your address. I might have some pictures of the rubber rings.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.