Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spotted new MEV
Hammerhead

posted on 16/6/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Spotted new MEV

I spotted the new MEV full bodied car today near Mansfield, obviously having a shekedown before newark, looked good!....I was picking up my new bmw race car!
dinosaurjuice

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
cant wait to see it at newark.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote

David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
That black bit on the side just looks wrong... but the car doesn't look bad if you ignore it.

But is it individual enough to make the grade? To me, it looks like my sister-in-law's MX5 with its hard top fitted...

[Edited on 16/6/11 by David Jenkins]

Kwik

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
try imagine it side on, then take the roof of it... its too boxy and square for me, probebly because you need to cover the mazda parts and it probebly is quite difficult, but a side profile of the car without a roof should not be flat and boxy... should have curves
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Pointless - just pointless ......... whatever, MEV will sell 2 or 3 on the back of Newark then it will just disappear.......
Dangle_kt

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Pointless - just pointless ......... whatever, MEV will sell 2 or 3 on the back of Newark then it will just disappear.......

That's not a baseless opinion is it?

Dangerous, posting that stuff on here!

Personally I like it, plenty of cheap MX5's around. Building a car isn't for anyone, but the body kit scene is massive. Its not boy racer enough to be massively popular.

We ain't the target audience in my opinion.

D Beddows

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
lol I'm saying nothing ........ 10 ish more posts to my tally now tho
Alan B

posted on 16/6/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

Got to agree with this..

Big fan of MEV stuff so far, good value, different etc....I just don't see it happening with this one unless there is a big market I'm not aware of.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mds167

posted on 17/6/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I could be in the minority as this could be my first kit car.
A cheap but good donor.
A light refresh of the underpinnings (as demonstrated by CKC in their Exocet build).
And it has a roof and doors to please my wife!

eddie99

posted on 17/6/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i don't see why you'd change an mx5 to that but hey ho... wonder if it'll sell!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
smart51

posted on 17/6/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's a nice looking car, if a bit copied from elsewhere. I can understand the appeal, even if it doesn't appeal to me. £2500 is a lot for a body kit though. I'm not saying the cost isn't genuine, just that the end result - an mx5 with new clothes - isn't worth it. If it were the best looking car in the world then it would, of course but it's only good.

designer

posted on 17/6/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And it has a roof and doors to please my wife!

That opens up a new market.

Ninehigh

posted on 17/6/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it doesn't look like a kit in the sense we know it, more like a "buy the car and swap the wings" kind of kit...

On the whole it's ok, but I think they should be selling it more like an "extreme bodykit" rather than a "kit car" maybe

D Beddows

posted on 17/6/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
hardtops for MX5's are £250 upwards .......... that's that niche gone then

Sorry, I'm getting bored being so negative (as I'm sure are the rest of you )so I'm going to stop now - if you want one or an Exocet then go for it I just think you're wasting your money to be 100% honest

[Edited on 17/6/11 by D Beddows]

mds167

posted on 21/6/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps I was a little too hasty and flippant in my earlier post but at first glance, I thought the car might appeal to my specific needs.

I haven't got the space/money for a third car so anything I choose will need to be useable as an occasional commuter- mainly used by my wife. A roof and doors helps.

Not being terribly mechanically minded but keen to learn, I thought this might be an easier/safer way of getting into a kit through using decent mechanicals with a healthy spares/tuning scene.

Whilst I'd love a locost/MK/MNR (and this site got me into the scene), I don't have the knowledge/skils of a tenth of the people who post here and wonder when I'd get to use it. Which I why I'm trying to find an alternative that still give the opportunity to 'play'.

Having delved a little deeper I'm not sure that the bonnet provides decent access to the engine compartment and whilst there might be more storage area than in the original MX5, the access for it is compromised by only being to get at it behind the seats.

So stick to an MX5 with a hardtop then?

Kwik

posted on 21/6/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
if i was in your boots, i would take an mx5 for a test drive, with the hardtop, and see what its like, you may like it as is and just want to leave it alone...

if you want a bit of a kit to do then do that, but you may decide you just like the mx5...

also with the kit there isnt a convertible option, so imagine that perfect summers day, when you can have the roof down... i would feel pretty disappointed...

mds167

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
if i was in your boots, i would take an mx5 for a test drive, with the hardtop, and see what its like, you may like it as is and just want to leave it alone...

Thanks Kwik. I think that's the best course of action.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.