Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Copy the CSR ducting?
ffrgtm

posted on 21/6/11 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
Copy the CSR ducting?

So I've read that the lift of the caterham shape was helped greatly in the newest CSR by ducting the rad air through the vent on top of the bonnet. Anyone try anything like this yet?

Found a duct from westfield... although I'll make my own before giving them $400 for their plastic.

Also notice that the pipercross 600 style airbox has it's flexible ducting traveling down and to the opposite side of the bay... wonder where they are getting the inlet air from?

designer

posted on 21/6/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Funny how the black hoses look better than the blue ones! To me anyway.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 21/6/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
that looks like one mean machine!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ffrgtm

posted on 22/6/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote

I think this is more along the lines of what I'm trying to do... duct the exit air directly out the top of the nose... any ideas?

daniel mason

posted on 25/6/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
what benefit are you wanting to see from this? it looks to me like all it will do is make under bonnet temps rise due to lack of air flow!

ffrgtm

posted on 27/6/11 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
There is a massive low pressure zone on the hood where the csr duct is. Utilizing this as an outlet for the high pressure rad air would not only reduce drag but increase downforce. Situations like that are pretty hard to come by and it seems crazy to not take advantage of it. As of now all the hot air is forced out of the bottom of the car which causes massive drag and lift. Also screws up the underbody aero.
daniel mason

posted on 27/6/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
are you going to be racing this car mate? if so then it could be of small advantage, a full flat floor would also be good.
if for road use then it would be hard to benefit from this.

Nash

posted on 27/6/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
So does the ducting sit behind the rad and duct directly out to atmosphere? If so where does the fan sit? Is it in front of the rad pushing air through or behind the rad pulling air through? or does it not matter?

Curious as I was out on a run at the weekend and we have a new guy just joined the club with a CSR200 and I noticed the grill (which does look the part) but we didn't get into ducting discussions. I may have to brouche the subject though.

......Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

first350

posted on 30/6/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nash
So does the ducting sit behind the rad and duct directly out to atmosphere? If so where does the fan sit? Is it in front of the rad pushing air through or behind the rad pulling air through? or does it not matter?

Curious as I was out on a run at the weekend and we have a new guy just joined the club with a CSR200 and I noticed the grill (which does look the part) but we didn't get into ducting discussions. I may have to brouche the subject though.

......Neil

my understanding is that the shroud/ducting sits behind the radiator and funnels it upward to the hole in the nose cone. I plan on making my own version - it'll duct the hot air from the IC/Rad up and out similar to the CSR, but I also want to duct in cooler air to my turbo.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.