Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 2006 Oil and Coolant
Coopz

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
R1 2006 Oil and Coolant

With my IVA test for the MK fast approaching friday week. One of the jobs to get done is fill the engine oil up to the correct level and fill the cooling system and bleed the air out of it. I have had the engine running but will drain the oil and start from scratch as want it to be fine for my 5 metre test drive later on

I have a bleed screw in the cooling system next to the header tank. The engine has had the breather mod done and baffled etc.

Please can someone give a numpties 1.2.3 guide so I dont muck another job up as want it perfect!

Thanks in advance Coopz

adithorp

posted on 4/7/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yam' say middle of glass, hot, engine off. Mine and most others I know is middle to 3/4 way up the glass hot at idle.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

a4gom

posted on 4/7/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I always jack the front of my car up as far as I can when filling with the coolant, I've never had problem with air locks but one of my bud's did when filling with it on the wheels.
Always use good quality coolant you'd be surprised how quickly bike (ali) engines get in a mess when using crap or watered down coolant.

Re Oil I'm similar to Adi

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

adithorp

posted on 4/7/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Coolant is 1/3rd OAT anti-freeze and Forte cooling system conditioner (a water wetter to aid heat transfer) to 2/3 water.

Coopz

posted on 4/7/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cheers for the info.... Before I drain her I have 3/4 of oil up the sight glass the car hasn't been run in 2 weeks.
adithorp

posted on 4/7/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
Ok cheers for the info.... Before I drain her I have 3/4 of oil up the sight glass the car hasn't been run in 2 weeks.

The level increases significantly when hot and drops quite a lot when running. 1/2 way up hot idling seems to work best. Too low and the level light will come on when driven hard and too high (top of the glass) and you get frothing at high revs and the level light comes on again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.