Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sky, Virgin or BT Vision
simonwinn

posted on 13/7/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sky, Virgin or BT Vision

One for the locost collective knowlege.

Me and the mrs currently have tv through Sky( +HD with everything but sports) and phone/broadband through BT.
Due to BT connection of 3Mbps and Infinty not due for some time we are looking to move, we can probably save some money too.
I'm after some reccommendations/experiances from people with Virgin as it seems this may be the best option.
Also has anyone got the Tivo box? Whats it like, Im guessing like the sky+ but with another tuner

Thanks in advance.........

jabs

posted on 13/7/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
The standard virgin V+ is like sky + with another tuner, that is you can record 2 channels whilst watching a third channel, the tivo allows you to record 3 channels whilst watching a fourth.

The internet is faster than BT line - get about 10MB. The phone is expensive and so is the TV as you have to have an XL package to get V+.

[Edited on 13/7/11 by jabs]

Miks15

posted on 13/7/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
My personal experience with virgin has been pretty poor. Im a student so internet was all we need and virgin are the onlys ones that do it without needing a line rental which is why we went with them. At peak times the connection speed would slow right down making browsing very difficult and completely ruled out watching iplayer or youtube or anything.
I dont know if this is just because i live in a high student populated area where almost everyone has virgin but it was unusable for 50% of the time. If i had a line rental already i would have gone with one of the others personally.

eddie99

posted on 13/7/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
As i have been looking recently for next year being a student, i think we've decided on BT Vision, its a bit more expensive than virgin but seems to be a lot more reliable, Then again i think it depends on your area, Try and speak to others local on virgin and see because in coventry, virgin is very unreliable and not fast.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jollygreengiant

posted on 13/7/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
IF you have cable near you then I would say Virgin every time, always found them competetive on price, always found them prompt to turn out and turn up on the few occasions that I've had a problem, moving house and package was stress free. Never had a problem with internet speed or connection (that was down to them) and have always had TV, Phone and internet from them. Even when I was unemployed and really struggling they were helpful.

If you do not have cable near you, then it is very much a case of you pay your money and take your choice, because it will ALL (except the sky tv bit and even that has a phone conection content) come down the BT phone line.

Just my 2p's worth. Hope it helps.

JGG

oh Virgin package is Phone, XL TV (no sky sports & no Sky movies but everything else basically), & XL internet (20Mb at the mo, about 9 min to down load one 700Mb file) my last bill was about £75 (LOTS of phone usage last month due to daughter's pregnancy/delivery) normally its a bit over £60

[Edited on 13/7/11 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

AndyW

posted on 13/7/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I cancelled my sky after 7 years as I had nothing but problems with the sky+ box. Now with virgin, they own the box so if it ever goes wrong they just bring out a new one, unlike sky who sell you a crap reconditioned one, that in my experience, they only lasted a year, then broke again. In the seven years I was with sky I had 6 Sky+ box's, and out of those 6 I had to pay for 5 of them. Also they put a dish up on the neighbours house and then ran the cable to my house. Really poor.

Virgin has been great. No problems

Snuggs

posted on 13/7/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If your going to be a new Virgin customer then don't forget to sign up via Topcashback

Currently £150

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

Jasper

posted on 14/7/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I use Virgin cable broadband which is excellent, but then use FreeSat PVR box from Humax. all the free to air channels including the HD ones, and no monthly fee.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Ninehigh

posted on 14/7/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair Virgin internet it pretty solid. We had many more problems with O2 (every other week) and sky (same)
V+ box is the same as sky but the menu is yellow, black and white. When it's dark it gets a bit fuzzy for me...
Phone is where it's all let down. Missus end up checking the bill every other month and finds half the calls are 0845 numbers etc but half of them are 20 second calls in the morning stepdaughter asking her friend if she's coming over before school, at 15p a time, daily.

Also Virgin standard is 10 meg, all others give us 2 ish

simonwinn

posted on 18/7/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well there we go, I've just ordered Virgin.
Nearly the same package as I have with Sky/BT but much FASTER broadband AND £20 cheaper...

James

posted on 18/7/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
All you busy people with jobs and children and kit cars and lives... I don't know how you have time for TV! And most especially, that you're willing to pay more than just the licence fee for it on top!

We don't bother with TV at all at ours. Been 3 years now and the longer we go without, the less I miss it! We watch the occasional program on Iplayer. But just no time, most of the time!

Enjoy your Eastenders! ;-)

cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.