Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Phoenix tail onto a Fury tub
dickie b

posted on 19/7/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Phoenix tail onto a Fury tub

Hello all

I thought you folks that are into GRP may be interested in the conversion to mate a Phoenix tail onto a Fury - plus a bespoke mid-size bonnet bulge to cover my k-series install.

Dont know how to do the linky thing, but here is the web address :

http://www.westgatecomposites.com/flash/fury/projectfisher.html

All work courtesy of Andy Westgate who is a real artist with the grp stuff. The join is invisible (if you ignore that large band of primer that is) and the lines of the car are just perfect.

Car is being prepped for paint at mo.. (once I can decide what colour to paint it) so hope to post up some decent pics sometime this side of christmas. Car hopefully hitting the road next summer (he says.. optimistically)

cheers

Richard

[Edited on 19/7/11 by dickie b]

scudderfish

posted on 19/7/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
That looks good!

McLannahan

posted on 19/7/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
That looks superb! A Furnix!

Look foward to seeing it painted up!

That rear body looks amazing too, it must have belonged to someone pretty special!

John Bonnett

posted on 20/7/11 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
It does look good and really well done. This isn't the first Fury with a Phoenix back end. Tim Mann, well known in JPSCC circles had his car converted many years ago after, I believe, a rear end collision. That too, looks very nice and was, maybe still is, his daily driver.

The silver car is Tim's

John
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 20/7/11 by John Bonnett]

probablyleon

posted on 20/7/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
that looks fantastic!
stevebubs

posted on 20/7/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
It does look good and really well done. This isn't the first Fury with a Phoenix back end. Tim Mann, well known in JPSCC circles had his car converted many years ago after, I believe, a rear end collision. That too, looks very nice and was, maybe still is, his daily driver.

The silver car is Tim's

John
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 20/7/11 by John Bonnett]

John,

Yes - Tim's was done after an accident but I think he brought the join much further forward on the body which resulted in quite a lot of filler....don't see too much evidence of that on Richard's...

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/7/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
and another photo of the original Furinix

Stoneleigh 2007

confused me at the time as I was trying to decide whether to build a Fury or a Phoenix!

Looks like that chap has some real skill, it would have taken me a year to do that and still it would have developed those little cracks.

Matt

dickie b

posted on 20/7/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ! - It was seeing this very car at Stoneleigh years ago that kicked off the whole project in the first place. I spoke to Tim Mann (the owner) at the time and he outlined the work involved.

Having bought a very bashed set of Phoenix racing bodywork (and collected a motley selection of used Fury bodywork.. thanks to you guys Steve, Michael, Peter and many other Fury owners !) there was a lot of visual comparing of both 'ends' to see if the tail could be grafted on and retain the cars lines.

Andy reckoned it would work.. and what you see if the process to stitch the two together.

From memory, Tim replaced the grp from the door shutlines backwards (to repair a rear end shunt) while mine was just the tail piece, aft of rear arches.

stevebubs

posted on 22/7/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dickie b
Ha ! - It was seeing this very car at Stoneleigh years ago that kicked off the whole project in the first place. I spoke to Tim Mann (the owner) at the time and he outlined the work involved.

Having bought a very bashed set of Phoenix racing bodywork (and collected a motley selection of used Fury bodywork.. thanks to you guys Steve, Michael, Peter and many other Fury owners !) there was a lot of visual comparing of both 'ends' to see if the tail could be grafted on and retain the cars lines.

Andy reckoned it would work.. and what you see if the process to stitch the two together.

From memory, Tim replaced the grp from the door shutlines backwards (to repair a rear end shunt) while mine was just the tail piece, aft of rear arches.

Richard - I had the same conversation with him in May this year....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.