Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brakes just wont bleed
tony-devon

posted on 26/7/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
brakes just wont bleed

ok so I have 2 sierra rear calipers, I had to wind the pistons back in to get the new pads in etc, I didnt even know about this until I read it on here

I have also read not to mess with the handbrake until the brakes are bled, so I have purposely left that disconnected

new braided lines, no leaks anywhere, but I just cant get the flipping system to bleed

have now pumped close on 1.5l of fluid through.

have I missed something silly?

getting close to just pulling ti all apart and starting again, but Im sick of brake fluid, its a setup I have used many times, 5/8th inch master cylinder, always worked in the past.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 26/7/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search mate - lots of info. Top of the list is to spin the calipers round the disk until the bleed nipples are at the top.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

INDY BIRD

posted on 26/7/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
hi is thblled nipple at the top??

if at the bottom you need to take caliper off to beed placing the disc inbetween, as you will gewt trapped air if at the bottom,

also are you using a easy bleed etc,

failing that i have pressed the peddle down and left over night with something holding the peddle down, this the pushes all the air to the caliper etc and it worked for me,

also check the brake light switch for trapped air, just loosen a bit to bleed it,

failing that get the big tools out on it

good luck

tony-devon

posted on 26/7/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks, I have the nipples at the top

have wedged it down will see what happens

is it possible that I have wound the piston back too far?

was wondering about maybe removing them, wedging them open so the pads get to grip on something, then seeing if pressure builds up

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think you still have air in them this is a common problem the only get around is rotating the caliper and bleeding again as you are doing

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

flibble

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an eazibleed, best thing ever
tomgregory2000

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
Buy an eazibleed, best thing ever

I wouldnt say they are the best thing ever, they are handy but the best ones are the vacuum brake bleeder that hook up to a compressor, as the eazibleed can squirt some air into the system if your not carefull

40inches

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
I use a manual vac pump, the type used for oil changes. Best to remove the bleed nipples and wrap with ptfe tape to seal the threads (Not the taper seat). Never failed.

simonwinn

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
If this is the first time you have had fluid in the system it might be worth cracking the joints off on the master cylinder to bleed out any air trapped in there. Its messy but worth a go.

The Westfield I built bled with no problems but the Mojo I had all sorts of problems with, the wilwood calipers for a start. But the main thing was a small air lock in the master cylinder, it was allowing fluid through to the calipers but we couldnt get a firm pedal.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.