Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brakes - Please Help us decide
shindha

posted on 28/7/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Brakes - Please Help us decide

Hello All,
Can't decide whether to go for Sierra rear and Cortina M16 front set up or go for Willwoods or something similar.
The car is going to be used mainly for track days and may be hill climbs - funding dependant. It is a Westfield light weight chassis and needs to be put through an IVA test so needs the rear hand brake facility.

What I am looking for is advice (argument) for and against from the locost oracle, ie. will the standard Ford units be up to the job but only heavier or will the Willwoods give a greater advantage ie. stopping the car in a far shorter distance and less unsprung weight. They need to fit under 13" wheels.

I have been looking at the post by Alfa145 "Do I upgrade my M16" but as I havent got anything yet and as the cost of refurbed or new ford units is quite high and by adding a bit more funding I could stretch to Willwoods or similar - I would rather spend once than upgrade later. On the other hand I don't want to spend just for aesthetics or little benefit.
Thanks for looking and any replies welcome.
Shindha

daviep

posted on 28/7/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Try the search facility, this gets covered on a very regular basis.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

JAG

posted on 28/7/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

will the standard Ford units be up to the job but only heavier

Absolutely - YES

quote:

will the Willwoods give a greater advantage ie. stopping the car in a far shorter distance

Absolutely - NO

quote:

less unsprung weight

Is the main advantage - and some argue they're prettier

However the Willwoods etc... are usually less durable: things such as no rubber excluders around the piston which leaves them open to dirt and debris getting between the piston and housing etc....

Also the M16's have a huge number of pad materials available and standard pads can be bought from almost any motor factors.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

edsco

posted on 28/7/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya

I am by no means a guru on the subject, but in my opinion i think you want to be going for performance on the front brakes...so Willwoods (as big as you can fit dependant on the front uprights and hubs you are using etc). Assuming you are using std sierra uprights then maybe look at the Willwood Power lites. These are what i as they are a direct fit to the ford hubs. Midi Lites (think thats the right name) almost a direct fit, may need an adaptor of some sort, and better as they are bigger caliper over the Power lites. You could vented discs but on such a light car, you wont get the temp in them quick enough for performance braking so i'd recommend going std sierra solid discs. All depends on the weight of the car.

Rears: std sierra calipers would be fine as the handbrake is much better than what Willwood offer i have found. Horses for courses though.

edsco

lotusmadandy

posted on 28/7/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I use standard sierra disks and callipers,front and
rear on my indy.
Ok they are not as pretty as a set of wilwoods but they are
very effective,the handbrake works and they have never showed any signs of fade.
After all they were designed to stop a car that was almost
three times the weight of a seven.

Andy

Arthur T wareing

posted on 28/7/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I have the same problem as you say m16 then you must have cortina front uprights and the real problem is balance as the rears will lock up first airies motor sport sell the correct front calipers check their web site but if you have seirra front uprights then the sierra front calipers should be ok there is a solution and that is to cut a groove in the rear brake pads with an angle grinder using a grinding disk in angle grinder. If you look at some pads they do this as standard.
shindha

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hello All,

Thanks for all the replies I did try a search but couldn't see an answer to my question - and the manager was in the room looking over my shoulder.

The front Uprights are a Westfield contraption to cortina dimensions I have got a pair of old cortina calipers - dismantled cleaned and ready to be put back togeather with new seals. The dilema is I would rather upgrade noe than later, most of the kit I have, came with the chassis - which I bought as an abandoned project, so logically rather spend that extra money now and get the right parts on than build now and spend a lot of time in the garage, as I am not getting any younger and would rather be driving than fixing.

I have sort of decided to stick with Sierra rears and to source Willwoods or CAT Motorsport for the front.

Regards Shindha

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.