Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BB and Phone Prices
mistergrumpy

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
BB and Phone Prices

I've been reading a round a few forums and it seems some people are getting TV and broadband packages for as little as £13 a month, with TV thrown in sometimes. Now I've been with Virgin since around 2006 and have medium broadband which apparently in 10mB and medium phone which allows free weekend calls, but which I barely use it's just there as a back up really and for the missus to call home when she things I'm not aware
The price started off at £20 a month and has worked its way up to £26 a month and is set to go up again. There's also the call connection fee on the phone which is going up to summat like 13p, just to connect the call. I'd like to bargain with them a bit but was told they could do it for £1 less or else I could cut my broadband to 2Mb and it'd be £17 a month.
What does everyone else pay for their TV and BB and who is it with so that I can put the squeeze on and possibly switch.

tegwin

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Tell them you are thinking about cancelling ... they will simply offer you a better deal to try and make you stay...

Most people dont bother and simply sit there as the price goes up and up... its just like car insurance or energy suppliers etc..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I did tell them I was thinking of leaving due to increasing prices from them. That's when they offered me the same package for £1 cheaper or 2Mb bb with the phone for £17. The next step is to quote some prices that people are getting off here and then give them my notice and wait for them to come to me.
MikeR

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I tried calling them and they told me "thats our deal take it or leave it".

Unfortunatley I disconnected the BT phone line, pulled the wires through to the box outside the house and filled the hole through the wall in. I now need to take the wires inside the box and extend them to where we'd like the phone connection half way round the house & i've no idea how to do it so i'm stuck paying a fortune to NTL / Virgin.

vindicator

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I was on Virgin until recently, I took up their £30 for 3 items(broadband, tv and calls) years ago and stuck a tele in the bedroom for Virgin as Sky was installed downstairs, but never got round to switching the bedroom receiver and telly on. About 9 months ago, I suddenly got a shock when the monthly bill went up to around £47 (kids growing up and not using their mobiles and their own money!!). Then I found I was not getting free evening /weekend calls and every call was charged for. I then got swmbo (as it was in her name) to contact them and they applied a £6 per month charge for free evening and weekend calls. So I ended up paying just over£36.

I have now transfered to Sky with their talk (plus line rental) and broadband package and should be paying around £20 per month (first one due in the next few weeks). Oh I did have to pay £39 for BT to install a new line, but the original BT line was still there but this did not matter.

I was originally a sky tv customer and this also included a new HD sky anytime receiver and all HD chanels. So far I am pleased, with the upgrade, a phone is a phone, HD is getting back to basic old tube colour TV (so I have been informed) but the broadband is a bit slower than Virgin.

If you watch a small 5min film using Virgin, then this loads ok, but on Sky you get a mesage saying it is buffering and everything stops for a couple of seconds, starts again for 45 secs and then stops again.

Have had no problems with crossing over, no delays, but then you need to inform Virgin 30 days before disconnection....I was late by 10 days....but then I would rather have both broadbands working for 10 days than without any connection if anything went wrong with crossing over.

Hope this helps.

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
It appears they are a bit reluctatnt to deal but there's cheaper advertised elsewhere like TalkTalk for example. Now I've only heard bad reports and Virgin say that they will provide a slower service . I don't know but I know that with Virgin it isn't always that fast either. Once I get a rough idea of what people pay I'll know if I'm really being hard done by and then who's offering the best prices.
I've tried moneysavingexpert but it's a whole mish mash of out of date talk.
Out of interest Vindicator, did they try to dissuade you from leaving and try to better their offer?

[Edited on 29/7/11 by mistergrumpy]

02GF74

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I've been reading a round a few forums and it seems some people are getting TV and broadband packages for as little as £13 a month, .

please tell me that does not include line rental????

Just over a week ago I signed up to PlusNet - line rental about a quid less than with BT and BB is 1/2 price for 6 (or 12) months at £ 6.49 plus some some moeny off amazon voucher. also free day landline phone for an extra 3.25 a month ok so not free but you know what I mean)

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think the £13 a month deal was someone on moneysavingexpert. I don't know if that included land line but it was written as £13 a month all in, this was with Virgin after some bartering with them.
Humbug

posted on 29/7/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
linky to Money Saving Expert bb/phone page
vindicator

posted on 29/7/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
swmbo, just phoned and said we are moving and explained the situation and the operator said 'ok'. It seems as they are loosing a lot of business but they can't compete with Sky...

Plusnet are owned by BT!!!!!that is why I did not check them out.....also most advertise cheap broadband, but they fail to mention that a land line is need and their charges don't include the monthly landline charge.

Hope this helps

TimR

vindicator

posted on 29/7/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot to mention that I belive that Sky now owns the virgin tv channels...

Sale of Virgin TV channels to Sky

More Sky HD Sports and Movies channels
You may have heard that we have agreed to sell the Virgin TV channels to Sky. Although the ownership of the channels will be transferred, there will be no change to the TV service you receive from us.

Virgin Media will still continue to broadcast all of the channels as part of our TV service, which means you won’t miss out on any of your favourite programmes!

But we’ve also got some great news to go with this. As part of the deal, we will soon have many of Sky’s High Definition channels, including sports and movies content, on offer for our TV customers.

So I think they only have telephone and broadband......

britishtrident

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sky = the Murdochs

Some say Murdoch = bad news

and some say Murdoch = evil empire

britishtrident

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vindicator
swmbo, just phoned and said we are moving and explained the situation and the operator said 'ok'. It seems as they are loosing a lot of business but they can't compete with Sky...

Plusnet are owned by BT!!!!!that is why I did not check them out.....also most advertise cheap broadband, but they fail to mention that a land line is need and their charges don't include the monthly landline charge.

Hope this helps

TimR

Plusnet are very up front about their charges and Plusnet are reliable and have terrific customer service.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.