Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA fail - wing mirrors
ad0_5

posted on 30/7/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
IVA fail - wing mirrors

Hi all. My first post, having gleened mucho helpful advice from archive topics during the build of our MK Indy (many thanks to all!)

We had our IVA test at Beverley a couple of weeks ago and it was a pretty good experience. We went expecting to fail on a few things, but really wanting to pick the inspectors brains and get a 'work to' list so that we can finish the car off and get it on the road before the decent weather disappears this year!
Anyway we had a 'good fail' (if there is such a thing).

Should also say that the Beverley inspector we got was very reasonable, did much less on the external radius checks that we were expecting (v. relieved about this, especially after what MK had told us about some of the panels being wrong for the 'new' test).
No pics at the moment as the car is back at the 'rents. Will try and get some soon though.

Basically the things that were wrong were:
Fuel tank - needed straps and earthing - now sorted
Front indicators - too far inboard - now extended with a bit of a copper tube bodge
No interior rear view mirror - picked up an iva ok one from CBS
Rear fog lamp not squarely facing the rear - sorted
Exhaust support bracket needed cover trim on edges - done
Wiring to rear lamps needed grommets through the bodywork - now done
A bit of wiring to tidy up under the dash - done
Internal panel needed under dash on passenger side to deflect passenger away from chassis bar that runs across the car - panel made, but not yet fitted
VIN plate on wrong side of car and needed 'MK Sportscars' stamping in it - now sorted
Brake fluid sticker missing from near brake reservoir - done
Side repeaters not visible from full required angles - they were fitted to the scuttle and I've tried various solutions and
read loads on peoples experience with this. After trying wing mirrors with LEDs in (that only seem to face forwards so are useless!) I've resigned to fitting some to the front cycle wings. I still don't like this solution, but its better that the rear wings imo and I've got some nice small led ones, so they don't stick out too bad.

So, really the only thing that I think we still need to sort is the wing mirrors before it's retest time, but here I'm struggling!
The ones I had fitted were fairly cheap ones (from MK themselves I think!) that had glass in them that was so distorted the inspector couldn't make out anything behind him at all!
I've had 3 different sets now and not found any that have really been suitable.
Have tried E-Tech F1 mirrors (with rubbish LEDs in - not bright enough), that fitted well and looked good but weren't really suitable for IVA (sharp edges on front with not much to stick rubber covers to and I think the glass wasn't tall enough), but I might go back to these when my pair for the test fall off (without the LEDs)!
Also tried an ebay buy that had a bend in the stalk at totally the wrong place and have spent a full day today going round motorbike shops and salvage yards looking for R1 or GSXR mirrors without much luck!
Has anyone got any advice what to try next?
How have people who've used motorbike mirrors in the past got them to fit? The angles on the brackets/stalks of all the ones I've looked at have been wrong for mounting the mirrors on my scuttle (no full roll cage) and the ball joint doesn't seem to have enough movement to compensate. Have you had to make adapter brackets to get them to fit?
Any thoughts/advice or steers towards something suitable would be much appreciated.

jrrsparky

posted on 30/7/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
kitpartsdirect ltd "new design wing mirrors IVA Ok e4 marked"
fitted these to my MK indy ready for IVA, they seem ok but only time will tel

big_wasa

posted on 30/7/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics ^^ The e-tec style give the best view of any ive tried but there is that edge.
stevegough

posted on 30/7/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I went through IVA with the e- tech F1s on - good rear visibility, nice angle adjustment, I just filed the sharp edge all the way round, and he was happy with this, but you can always superglue some rubber trim on to be sure. By the way, there were also my 3rd set of mirrors - I also tried one set where the cranked - angle was useless no matter what you did with it.

The other point I will pick you up on is that your side repeaters may fail on the front wings - best to put them on the front of the rear wings (they need to be within 2400mm of the front of the car. (I believe I have heard of someone passing with them on the front wings, though)

The best of british for your retest, and a very warm welcome to the forum, good luck!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

ad0_5

posted on 30/7/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. Think I'll get the F1's without the LED's and try and find some suitable trim to fit on.
I did check with the inspector about the side repeaters and he actually suggested the front cycle wings and confirmed that they only test them in the straight ahead position. I guess there's a fair bit of room for interpretation by the inspectors on this element!

ad0_5

posted on 31/7/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
stevegough - is there any chance could you just check the height of the reflective surface on the F1's for me please?
I was thinking it needed to have a 76mm height when I measured them, but have just re-read that section of the manual and it's only 70mm.

40inches

posted on 31/7/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I put rubber trim on my F1 centre mirror using THIS tip (page 298)

stevegough

posted on 31/7/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ad0_5
stevegough - is there any chance could you just check the height of the reflective surface on the F1's for me please?
I was thinking it needed to have a 76mm height when I measured them, but have just re-read that section of the manual and it's only 70mm.

just got in from work - will check and get back to you.

Luego Locost C20XE.

big_wasa

posted on 31/7/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ad0_5

Its 70mm long from iva v10 that I am working to. I beter check if there is a newer one.
They are well over that.

My third set and by far the best view of all of them.

[Edited on 31/7/11 by big_wasa]

stevegough

posted on 31/7/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have just measured mine - by the looks of it, they are identical to Warren's (Big Wasa) - the max height of the 'reflective surface' is 66mm which surprisingly actually falls just a touch short of the 70mm requirement ! They are 143mm wide.
The tester made no reference to this, but definitely commented that the rear view afforded by my mirrors was 'extremely good'.

Luego Locost C20XE.

ad0_5

posted on 31/7/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
It was the 70mm height that I was concerned about, although I agree the rear view was really good with the ones I had.
Now I have the dilemma of whether to fit something I know he could fail me on but hope he isn't too concerned about or to carry on looking for something else.......

.....think I'll just fit the F1's with some suitable trim glued on the edge and hope the field of view is good enough to satisfy him - I've already got the mounting holes for these anyway from the LED set I had.

Thanks for your help all, I'll let you know how we get on.

stevegough

posted on 1/8/11 at 04:43 AM Reply With Quote
Your call, but I think you'll be alright with these. Many have used them for their test.

Luego Locost C20XE.

rdodger

posted on 29/1/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I thinking of using these and wondered if any one had don IVA with them recently. It looks like to the letter of the law they shouldn't pass due to the mirror height?
loggyboy

posted on 29/1/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
I thinking of using these and wondered if any one had don IVA with them recently. It looks like to the letter of the law they shouldn't pass due to the mirror height?

The Etech ones? acording to this: linky they measure 80mm, which is 10mm more than the 70mm required.

[Edited on 29-1-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

rdodger

posted on 29/1/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Thats what I thought (80mm) but everyone else quotes them 68 to 70mm.
loggyboy

posted on 29/1/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Has the design changed? a call to europa might be prudent.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.