Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: An impulse buy coming up - Deep fat fryer, any advice?
focijohn

posted on 7/8/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
An impulse buy coming up - Deep fat fryer, any advice?

I'm looking at buying a deep fat fryer for general healthy eating. Plus I'm watching man vs food so I'm also going to be making a smoker ...... any advice pointers or is it a case of big is beautiful on the fryer?

Cheers

John

[Edited on 7/8/11 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

blakep82

posted on 7/8/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
eh? deep fat frier for general healthy eating? really?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

focijohn

posted on 7/8/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
broccoli etc.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

blakep82

posted on 7/8/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
lol yeah, ok, i'll let you have that

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 7/8/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
We bought one for safer cooking, rather than healthy eating - a chip pan half-full of oil at the proper cooking temperature on a gas hob scared me too much.

We used to have one with a filter in the lid but that was just too messy at clean-up time. Now we've got an open one - a bit of a cheffy one - but it's great to be able to set very high temperatures (e.g. 190C) without worry.

Kwik

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
We bought one for safer cooking, rather than healthy eating - a chip pan half-full of oil at the proper cooking temperature on a gas hob scared me too much.

then you should really think about changing your avatar...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's Tefal do the Actifry. A "deep" fat fryer that's low on fat

Yes it is, linky. Rather expensive for a fryer but, well it uses a teaspoon of fat!

austin man

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
there is a fryer on the market that fries a portion of chips with 1 tablespoon of oil Tefal active fry I think

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

wilkingj

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I got rid of my chip pan 12 years ago.

They are too much of a fire hazard, let alone a health hazard. Plus they create a mess in the cupboard where you store them. Deep fat fryer's are fine when they are new. However, they soon get caked up with burnt on fat. Unless you want to drain, filter, and thoroughly clean them every time you use it. (Its just tooo much hassle)

We just cut up potatoes into wedges (keep the skin on) and then Nuke in the Microwave for a couple of minutes to get them started, then transfer to the oven on a flat tray, with a very very light brushing of oil.

Healthier for you, and safer for the house (and probably you as well!)
Dont get a chip pan / deep fat fryer.

Other good thing we got recently was a slow cooker. Cheap cuts of meat, cut up some veg, a little water and a stock cube. Bubble away for several hours (Ours is only 100watts) and they stews are amazing. Even the cheapest meat is tender, and the gravy is great.

Two pointers.... DONT put in peppers (red / green / yellow) as they have a strong taste if cooked for that long.
Stick the bisto (or whatever) in for the last 5 mins just to thicken up the gravy before serving.
A slice of nice brown granary bread finishes the meal off, cos you want something to wipe all that lovely gravy up off the plate

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
We've got an actifry and its one of the best things we've ever bought, couldnt without it for most stuff, no good for onion bhaji's though

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Peteff

posted on 7/8/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
We bought the one Aldi do in their offers and have had it about 4 years now. It strips down easily for cleaning and oil changes and works perfectly. Heat the oil for 7 minutes or till the light goes green then fry the chips for 8 minutes. It has lower settings for other stuff but who cooks that anyway?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Litemoth

posted on 7/8/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think deep-fat frying is best left to the professionals. My local chip shop and chinky does quite well of my 'safe cooking' policy.

I am now deeply fat.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/8/11 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Deep fat fryer's are fine when they are new. However, they soon get caked up with burnt on fat. Unless you want to drain, filter, and thoroughly clean them every time you use it. (Its just tooo much hassle)

That's why we bought the Magimix - when the oil needs replacing it's easy to strip the pan into 3 or 4 component pieces and put them in the sink.

Peteff

posted on 8/8/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
This is the type we have but it's dirt cheap here It comes apart easily for cleaning and if you don't overfill the oil it is perfectly safe.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jasper

posted on 8/8/11 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah - we've got one of those too, just put it on the hob under the extractor when we use it, perfectly safe and makes superb chips etc.... about £20 from Argos I think....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

MikeR

posted on 8/8/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
One word of caution - Before you get the tefal actifry thing .... read the web reviews. They seem to have a problem with the lid breaking. We came close to getting one and decided not to due to it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.