Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone help me price up a job replacing kitchen worktops?
John P

posted on 12/8/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone help me price up a job replacing kitchen worktops?

As some of you know having been made redundant I set up doing general property maintenance work and although the work isn’t a problem I still find quoting difficult.

In this case I have been asked to replace the kitchen worktops and tiled splash-backs in the kitchen of an old cottage.

The total length of worktop is around 9 metres but this is in four separate areas.

1. The first is a simple straight length with an inset stainless steel sink.
2. The second is a plain straight length over some units and the washing machine.
3. The third is cut around a newly installed freestanding gas cooker and also has to fit around some decorative brick corbelling (see photo).
4. The last section is a small “L” shaped section (se photo).

Kitchen Worktop1
Kitchen Worktop1

Kitchen Worktop 4
Kitchen Worktop 4

The new worktop will be supplied by the customer and is normal rolled edge laminate.

Along all the worktops runs an existing 300mm splash-back which has to be removed and then re-tiled fitting around a number of socket outlets etc.

The new tiling will be somewhat higher behind the cooker.

Any ideas what would be a reasonable cost for labour only?

I’ve come up with a figure of around £850 which sounds a lot but even then I’m a bit worried I may have been over optimistic about how long it will take.

John.

Coopz

posted on 12/8/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
First of all I would work out what your day rate is going to be. This can vary with location but I would say in general you could charge between 120-180 a day, depending on your competency and skill! Are you working on yourself or do you have a helper, as if your working with someone you have to consider there wage but also the time on the job should decrease! I personally reckon I could get the job done in 3 days accounting for any problems you might have but it honestly depends on how quickly you think you might be able to the job so a 4th day could be added?

Forgot to mention although the customer is supplying the work-tops allow a small amount for consumables. Just re-read your using laminate tops, if the customer hasn't already you will need to get some color match joint sealant. Also Clear new sink/taps if doing the plumbing of the new sink check there is no new pipe-work that needs to be added.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Cheers Coopz

[Edited on 12/8/11 by Coopz]

Proby

posted on 12/8/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
If I'm honest that does seem a bit steep on price, all you can do is work it out on your labour time. I fitted a complete new kitchen myself, but didn't fancy hacking up the 3 x 3m of solid oak worktops as I'd never fitted a worktop before. A friend of a friend fitted the worktops only for £150. Bearing in mind there was no old worktop to remove, no backsplash or upstands, no tiling, just purely fitting worktops to new carcases.

Edit : as a guide it took about 5 hours

[Edited on 12/8/11 by Proby]

James

posted on 12/8/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I tried that line of work for a while until I got back into IT recently. The estimating time and money side of it was was far the hardest. Ok, I've done a shed load of good quality DIY but never actually worked out how long these things would take when done 8 hours a day!
Everything took me twice as long as I expected. I always did a job I was proud of and customers were pleased with but I often still annoyed them a bit by jobs taking too long!

Learning how long things take is half the skill of the job! Good luck with this aspect- one I never learnt!

On tip I was told about fitting the worktops by a 25 year property maintenance man I know... 2p pieces make very good wedges to go between worktop and cupboard to get the levels right. you can stack them up as needed and screw through/beside them to hold in place!

Good luck!!!

Cheers,
James

P.S. I didn't have a router so cut the worktop sheets myself by hand. I bought a brand new fine tooth Spear and Jackson saw to do this, stuck masking tape along the cut too to mark the pencil line along and to the saw 'tearing' the top.
This worked very well and the cuts were perfect and razor edged.
Also! Leave the vinyl covering on till the jobs done... too easy to scratch the worktop with tools etc.!

[Edited on 12/8/11 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

macc man

posted on 12/8/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have done a fair bit of this type of work and I always allow for the cost of a new worktop in my price in case you have a disaster. I would have thought 3 days max and £450 to £500 for labour only. Best of luck.

JoelP

posted on 12/8/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
are you doing the plumbing? £850 is well steep tbh.

I used to do worktop swaps as remedials for moben, me and a lad would do two jobs a day without disturbing the tiles. The tops and plumbing would take me alone about 5 hours, maybe round it to 1.5 days with the tiling. Couldnt justify more than £300 on a no-liability day rate, or £500 if the tops are on my toes. Which doesnt really make any difference to me, since i dont make mistakes

I wouldnt use colour matched joint sealant, just clear silicone. The joint should be tight enough to not need it.

Id also allow £50 for rubbish clearance if neecessary.

[Edited on 12/8/11 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

tommy turtle

posted on 12/8/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I am a full time kitchen fitter, as Joel above has put i'd put his £300 price spot on, maybe £400 max as I can't see the job. The only thing I disagree on is the colour jointing compound which I would always use. I always used to agree that it wasn't needed if you did a good job but now I always use it as some worktop joints look almost seamless (ish!) when you use it.

Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.