Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring worries causing lack of motivation.
AndyW

posted on 22/8/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring worries causing lack of motivation.

Well, just in from the garage. My plan was to crack on with the wiring. I have a premier loom and will be using the original ford ecu and engine loom.

Spent 3 hours in the garage and all I actually acheived was to fit the headlights into the shells. Found out I purchased 2 small side repeaters **link to the ones purchased** and I already have them with my lighting kit so these need to go (anyone want to swap, let me know what you have?)

I think Im really going to struggle with the wiring. I just cant seem to get my head round it!

I have Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday, so Im going to get the rear panel fitted, mount the rear lights then I have no excuse to avoid wiring.

I do seem to be very scared of it for some reason? And this is causing a slight lack of motivation.

AAAAArrrrrrgggggh.......... Thats a litle better.

Night night all.......

Andy

big_wasa

posted on 22/8/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote

femster87

posted on 22/8/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
hahaha, sorry I just had to laugh. it must be a zero builders problem, I had exactly the same, I have finished my wiring now but indicators are not working. soo pissed off I abandoned the thing and did other things. Now cars almost finished, but at the back of mind i know the indicator needs sorting out. And regardng the ford ECU, i just gave up. sorry am not too much help.
Peteff

posted on 22/8/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the laminated instructions that come with the Premier loom you have no reason to worry. I helped a friend of mine with his Mac1 a few years ago and it was all pretty straight forward.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

norfolkluego

posted on 22/8/11 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Premier Loom, really nothing to be scared of, I'm useless a wiring and I can do it, so can you, just make sure you have your wiring diagram and a multimeter so you can check stuff and you'll be fine, really not that difficult
big-vee-twin

posted on 23/8/11 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
The Premier Loom is excellent, I am an electrician and designed my own loom priced up the bits and the Premier loom was a bit cheaper so I bought one as It saved a lot of time building the loom.

The first thing to do is identify which wires go to the front and which go to the back.

If you read the a4 sheets pick the rear loom identify the colours lay them out on the floor and then put a label around them, do the same for the front loom and the engine spur.

You can then start laying the wires into the car once laid out you can put the cables into PVC sleeving.

I then split the loom inside the tunnel right and left and took the wires to each corner at the rear and sleeved them up.

Once you've done that confirm the colours and your away. Do the same at the front

Work methodically and by identifying the wire colours from Alan's instructions will make it straightforward.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

karlak

posted on 23/8/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Andy,

I am suffering a similar syndrome at the moment. Got seriosuly depressed with my whole engine swap project last week, not helped by being on Diazepam (Spellling) for my bloody back. The car was all but put on Pistonheads at one point last Wednesday evening, rolling, chasssis, Duratec , clutch, thw whole lot etc etc etc, Just felt like I had made a huge mistake in ripping the Pinto out and going down a Fuel injected Duratec route. Too much for me to take on really

I know I could pay and have someone do it for me (with a large loan!!!). But I want an input in the conversion, which I know ALL of you guys will empathise with.

It just seems that there are more jobs that need doing and I havent even got the frikkin' engine mounted yet - Grrrrr. Although that should be sorted in the next week or so - Altough I have been saying that for what seems like months now.

I should have left the Pinto in and enjoyed it for the Summer and started this in the Winter, but then I would have been moaning about -ve temperatures and stuff.

Think we just sometimes need a kick up the 'arris.

If it helps, I can always pop over and pass you screw drivers etc, fetch tea whatever. Perhaps the bit of moral support is all thats required

ATB

Simon

EDIT: I also have the original wiring diagram from my car build somewhere which may help a bit ?

[Edited on 23/8/11 by karlak]

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

scudderfish

posted on 23/8/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I rewired my Fury because the original builder had made a dog's dinner of it. There really isn't anything magical about it, just think of these points :-
1) It's a set of distinct circuits, not one huge octopus of cables.
2) Every circuit is pretty much a variant of +12v, a fuse, a switch, a thing, an earth.
3) Do one thing at a time and test it works before moving onto the next. It is also worth testing things which previously worked at regular intervals. That way if something goes wrong, the problem probably lies in what you added since you last tested it.
4) Start with something simple, like the brake lights or reverse lights first to find your feet.
5) Make sure your earths are good. Weirdness normally comes when what you think is an earth is not good (or not connected) and the electricity finds it's route back to the battery via another component. When this happens you get odd things like your brake lights coming on with your headlights.

Small steps, lots of testing as you go along.

Regards,
Dave

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/8/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
As already said mate, don't get too despondant. If you break wiring down into smaller sections it's really pretty straight forward. I'm not familiar with the makings of the lookm you have as I built mine from scratch (and I was brickin' it!). But if you try and do a single circuit at a time and test before adding more, i.e. put in the side lights and check they work then add main lights and check etc. at oleast if something doesn't work, you know that all was OK before that point so you have an area to check.

Just be methodical and write down/draw everything you have to make it easier to follow afterwards.

Shame you weren't closer I would happily come round and have a look if I was.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

40inches

posted on 23/8/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I rewired my Fury because the original builder had made a dog's dinner of it. There really isn't anything magical about it, just think of these points :-
1) It's a set of distinct circuits, not one huge octopus of cables.
2) Every circuit is pretty much a variant of +12v, a fuse, a switch, a thing, an earth.
3) Do one thing at a time and test it works before moving onto the next. It is also worth testing things which previously worked at regular intervals. That way if something goes wrong, the problem probably lies in what you added since you last tested it.
4) Start with something simple, like the brake lights or reverse lights first to find your feet.
5) Make sure your earths are good. Weirdness normally comes when what you think is an earth is not good (or not connected) and the electricity finds it's route back to the battery via another component. When this happens you get odd things like your brake lights coming on with your headlights.

Small steps, lots of testing as you go along.

Regards,
Dave

Absolutely spot on.

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/8/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
As already said small stages and one at a time with the circuits.
When the young uns start with us at work and look at a junction box they are usually like " i can't do that" BUT I always ask them could you eat an elephant? they usually answer no untill I explain " yes you can but you can only do it one bite at a time"
Do the bits you are happy/sure are correct and then you will have less loose ends to look at when you get to the unknown bits.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RK

posted on 23/8/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I am on my third complete wiring redo, and I can advise that making it work is not a problem. Making it look decent and work reliably, is another. Get someone in to help before you go down a path you will regret later.

I have had no help with things in person, and I wreck everything in no time. It is next to impossible without that person next to you to advise. I have been doing it for YEARS and still can't get it.

big_wasa

posted on 23/8/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
As above it's not magic but if you are finding the prem loom hard going you don't stand a chance on the eec_v

Give me a ring.

AndyW

posted on 23/8/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Warren, I will call tomorrow if I get chance, Its more the wiring for the injection than the premier loom!
BigMac

posted on 25/8/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

I've just had the exact same feeling with regard to wiring! The rebuild of my Westy has gone brilliantly so far, but I've been doing any and every job going to avoid doing the wiring. I've had two issues, removing the integration of the cars loom with my bike engine one, then building a new loom from scratch... The idea of the lot was scary, especially as my electrical knowledge goes so far as wiring a 240v plug...

I found that just breaking it down into small jobs seems to be the way forward. So I would split the entire car down into sections, front, back and middle. Middle's an awesome one, as there's the side repeaters and that's it. I'd just take one section at a time and start off by plumbing just the live connections in for each lamp/accessory, then move onto neatly doing the earths and so on. Then test everything worked, then wire it all up to the CBS module I bought. Have to say, I'm feeling ok about it so far...

You have to find what works for you, but doing just a few small, really easy tasks a day keeps the motivation up for me! Still, there's great resources on here, in terms of both threads and people- you're never too far from another locoster I suppose!

Ta,
Ben.

Mr C

posted on 29/8/11 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Andy

Some great advice here, I am just finishing wiring my V-Storm from scratch. Never done anything like this before (nurse by trade) What helped me was to work out the circuit diagrams before I started. Then I did the engine wiring first, converted the subaru loom and ECU and new power supplys and starting circuits. If things get a little difficult leave it and come back to it another time. I had numerous attacks of wiring blindness throughout!

Once the engine side was all up and working I did the main loom from scratch starting with the cable runs from the fusebox to the front and back and worked "outwards towards the device being wired. I found it easier to it this way to get the correct lenght of cable fixed neatly and finished off nicely.

Its a great feeling when something works! Its not a quick job especially when working through things systematically.

All the best with it, you'll get there no problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.