Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-Test Fail
Coopz

posted on 2/9/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Re-Test Fail

After a busy couple weeks ticking things off the list thinking I'm there! Went for my retest today and unfortunately came away with another Fail and most definitely loosing the will, although driving her to the test centre makes me feel a bit happier

Run through of previous fails and solutions for people to refer to.

Noise- Previous of 106.7 db had the exhaust packed and baffled ran 99.5db and said seriously 0.5 you wouldn't hear a pin drop and he was happy to retest it resulting in a 98db PASS

Indirect Vision- Passenger side mirror was obstructed by the roll cage, solution fitted a Longacre 14" and trimmed the edge for radiuses PASS

Brake performance- Hand brake efficiency was awful running the willwood handbrake calipers so the solution was after speaking to andy B and adrian on here to fit a pivot lever and definitely the way forward! unfortunately with time running out and really couldn't work out how to get one mounted in the tunnel with very limited space. I tightened her up so she was just binding, and they went flying through PASS

Protective Steering- After explaining the column had two collapsible features in it and as long as it acted in the same way with my set up this would be ok. trimmed the radiuses on the centre of the wheel PASS

Statutory Plates- Was unhappy with a stamped Vin plate spot welded, so got the dremel out and engraved into chassis PASS

Installation of lights- Reverse lamp was dim the feed was from the starter, solution was to swap the power straight to the battery and is run through the savage switch PASS

Retro Reflectors- Were too low albeit mighty close, easy solution raised them up a couple of mm PASS

Directional Indicator- As the hazards were wired in turn with the digi-dash unless the digi-dash is turned on there is no warning light. Solution fit a small flashing relay above steering wheel take a feed from the switch PASS

Rear fog lamp- Easiest fix wrong markings, replaced with a like for like with correct markings from SVC PASS

General construction- My bodgy Indicator extensions were too wobbly for the testers liking.... too be fair I think he was right! so did them right second time round, Replaced with 15mm copper walloped 8mm nuts in each end covered with black conduit! drilled 4mm hole through bolt to pass cable through PASS ( When I pass quite happy to send these to a good home)

Wiring- Needed to P-Clip wire brake reservoir wiring back to bulkhead as was close to steering sorted PASS

To my failures!

Emissions- The big one for me had the car on a rolling road to get her mapped correctly and learn the power commander software properly! new cat put in the exhaust, and also reinstated the AIS system in the engine to help!

Im really Pissed off about this as so close but so far!

After running way to rich on first test he said we could have another play on the laptop if time at the end of the retest.

Results
Fast Idle Test
C0- Under 0.20- 0.01 PASS
HC- Under 200- 286 PASS
Lambda- 0.97-1.03- 1.108 FAIL

Natural Idle test
C0- Under 0.30- 0.02 PASS

Interior fittings- There were some bolts and rivets on show from under the dash securing items, the tester said to me should put a panel in hide all of that! Cut in the finest Fake carbon I could find fixed it all under. Tester said that looks great shame you didnt sort the radius of the panel!

Exterior Projections- Doesn't like self algamating tape on the To balljoint Adjuster Nut Heat shrink needed.

The Rear roll cage mount radius and the panel gap on a MK Rear Panel to side panel where pointy meets smooth! How have people resolved this issue I lined it with self adhesive foam tester ripped it off said thats not a solution if it gets wet it comes off! Really stuck on this one advice needed! Fail

Cheers Coopz

shindha

posted on 2/9/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Keep at it seems like it's not too far away now.
Yorkie

posted on 2/9/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
You're nearly there, keep at it mate.
Coopz

posted on 2/9/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheer Yorkie, I was delighted to get the wilwoods through! I went to the test knowing they might be a fail they actually hold really well.
norfolkluego

posted on 2/9/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz

The Rear roll cage mount radius and the panel gap on a MK Rear Panel to side panel where pointy meets smooth! How have people resolved this issue I lined it with self adhesive foam tester ripped it off said thats not a solution if it gets wet it comes off! Really stuck on this one advice needed! Fail

Cheers Coopz

I can't quite understand that one, any chance of piccies?

RichardK

posted on 2/9/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly there, keep it together! Just look at how many items you've knocked off the first fail sheet, well done mate, others are easy just need the emisions sorted, did you say its been on a rr?

I'd be asking them what can be done next??

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 2/9/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a persistent little bugger, I just cant wait to get her on the road definitely closer shall take a day out of the garage then get back in there and work out how to sort these final few bits and pieces! Then hopefully get her back in, in a week or two! Will upload some pics of the rear panel join and edges.
jack_t

posted on 3/9/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
put new oil in the engine and fill the tank with shell v power and it will sort the emissions
matt_gsxr

posted on 3/9/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
You are so nearly there.

Emissions are interesting.
You are too lean rather than too rich, which is why everything else is fine (assuming they don't measure NOx).

Could you have an air leak? (i.e. extra air in the exhaust). Or perhaps the AIS system isn't receiving the correct inputs.

If you have a friendly localish garage, then you are now allowed to drive over there (book appointment of course). Most/all will have a 4 gas analyser that they can let you use which should allow you to sort it out.

Good luck,

fazerruss

posted on 3/9/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested to see any pics or diagrams of the pivot lever for the rear wilwoods. I too have the same calipers and will soon need to make them work better.
I assume it will just increase the mechanical advantage at the handbrake lever but that will probably increase the stress on the cable by at least five times?

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Coopz

posted on 3/9/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Matt-I was adjusting the fuel to around -10 on the power commander and then back up if there was a -8.5 we would have cracked it! Shouldn't be any air leaks', I will double check all the system. I was running the AIS through a little crankcase breather as not running the original air box i'm wondering if that was too restrictive?

Jack is an Oil change likely to help, it's easy enough to do if needed the oil was change recently, I filled the tank to the brim with the posh bp fuel as its the station opposite the test centre.

I am running a new ceramic cat fitted in the exhaust system, the tester reckoned it may not have been hot enough to work, is this likely?

Coopz

posted on 3/9/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
fazerruss- I didn't actually get the pivot/lever system fitted but definitely is the best solution have a search adithorp has loaded some pics up somewhere of his set up. I was very limited on space in the tunnel and couldn't fit one in time. I failed first time round with the willwoods they were pathetic I could put the hand brake on and push the car around. For the retest I adjusted the slack on the cable and tightened them so much they were just binding but will bed in and loosen up and they flew through, does make the handbrake a bit stiff though!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.