Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ron's lowcost buggy
Fliproo

posted on 2/8/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ron's lowcost buggy

Hey guys

new convert to the lowcost scene.

I have decided to build Ron Champions lowcost offroad buggy, but I am having trouble finding the site where he offers prefabricated components which may help on cost of building.

I realise this site is more dedicated to the sports car genre, but any help / links that are offered will be much appreciated!

Thanks

ned

posted on 2/8/04 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ron's company went bust a few years ago, he then fled the country i gather.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BradW

posted on 2/8/04 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I set out building the RC buggy, or a version based on this, as a 'practice' to building a Locost.
There's not much that needs to be bought, I've done mine based around a briggs and stratton 5.5hp lawnmower engine, the bits I bought were :

centrifugal clutch, chain, sprocket & brake drum combined, asimple hub for mounting the sprocket. and some cheap 'track rod ends' for the steering
Got these from www.jackssmallengines.com in the US

Wheel bearings front and rear from my local bearing shop.

I used some Pnuematic Wheelbarrow wheels which I got from my locel wheelbarrow manufaturer.

I made some steering bearings from nylon, luckily I have a lathe, but I'm sure the Locost Polybushes would do perfectly.

Everything else was fabricated.

If I can offer any help give me a shout,

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 2/8/04 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ron's web page has some information that may be helpful:

http://www.ronchampion.net/

There's an e-mail address for him, and links to some other related parties. The outfit that sells Locost parts and merchandise may have some leads.

If worse comes to worse, you can look for dune buggy discussion forums, web pages, etc., that might help. Something that popped up on google:

http://www.dune-buggy.com

You could ask your questions on here, sure folks wouldn't mind.

Pete

Fliproo

posted on 2/8/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen Ron's "Spanish" page at ronchampion.net , I dident think it was for real as it is so poorly put together.

I have a good idea what I want to do, and I was keen on sticking a lawnmower engine in there, but wasnt sure about wether it would have enough power. I dont need it to have much kick, as it's for my kids!

I know im going to build the chassis out of 20mm square tube, and all the ideas from Brad about the steering and bearing components will come in handy. I have seen these buggys built mainly from the bits off old minis, but theres not many old minis around now with so many people keen on restoring them.

Thanks for the helpful replies, I will keep you posted on how things progress.

MikeP

posted on 2/8/04 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Another option would be doing an offroad buggy following Rorty's plans:

http://www.rorty.vze.com/

Skirrow

posted on 3/8/04 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm building an off road buggy based on a Mini, except the engine goes in the rear and its rear wheel drive. There are still plenty of Minis around to use as donors.

Mine is a pre-built chassis called the freestyle. Not sure if its similar to Ron's or not but it might be worth a look. Got my chassis off eBay though, if you buy them from the manufacturer it's not quite as low cost.

It's SVA able though.

NS Dev

posted on 5/8/04 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Skirrow, that looks very similar to an autograss car!! Have a look at my photo archive for a similar thing powered by a 200hp Vauxhall engine! have a look at www.national-autograss.co.uk for lots of off road buggies racing! cheapest form of motorsport bar none and quick too!
Skirrow

posted on 5/8/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm.

So, would my thing be any good as a special? It's just gonna have a 1275 Mini engine in it so it wont stand a chance against the likes of your 2litre but do they have different classes for the specials?

The missus will kill me when she finds out I like the look of that!

Skirrow

posted on 5/8/04 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
On second looks, that thing of yours is just a single seater. It looks truly evil by the way, and thats a compliment.

Mine is a 2 seater and I dont think it would be anywhere near as competitive as those other things.

Now my next project was gonna be a locost but.....

How much did that thing of yours cost to build? I take it you weld the chassis yourself?

Unlimited engine tuning puts me off a little though cos I can't afford all the famcy parts.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.