Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: In Yer Face Colour... What Stands Out?
scootz

posted on 4/9/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
In Yer Face Colour... What Stands Out?

I had originally wanted to go with a predominantly white colour scheme for the BMW reverse-trike with blue and red accents a la the BMW F1 car styling.

Buuuuuuuut... this thing is going to be tiny and I want - sorry NEED - to be seen by other motorists, so I'm wondering if there are any colors that are proven to stand-out more to the human eye than any other?

I remember the local Fire Service arguing that white stood out better than the red, but then it came out that white was cheaper than the red! The Police then started moving towards silver as they claimed that the white offered no real benefit... then it came out that white ex-Police cars were fetching bugger-all at auction and the silver was much more desirable!

You just can't trust the authorities these days!

I saw a Dyno-Rod van the other day and it nearly blinded me! Day-glo orange anyone? I'm fine with that, but are these colours not pretty unstable and fade badly? Has paint technology moved on and sorted this?

Lotus's's's's's's's Krypton-Green is another in-yer-face paint...

Any other suggestions?

I normally avoid 'look-at-me' colours on a car, but I think it's safe to say that our types of toys attract eyes anyway. Also, I deeply regret not picking the colour I wanted for my Exige (I got Storm-Titaniium instead of the Orange as my missus reckoned the Orange screamed "FLASH W*****"!!!).

As always... all comments welcome... particularly those with pictures and RAL codes

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 4/9/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm... wikipedia tells me that 'chartreuse' is the most visible colour to the human-eye... that's not a kick in the pants away from Lotus Krypton Green!

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 4/9/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
This reminds me of a (formerly) local breakdown company and the Goldwing (or similar) they had. It stopped being used when the rider smacked a guy because he "didn't see you"

Only the bike and rider were clad in the flourescent yellow worn by builders, roadworkers and the like, on a sunny day in June.

Thus I think even a flashing blue paint with accompanying 150 decibel klaxon would be visible enough

However that colour's not bad

mark chandler

posted on 4/9/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I worked for BT when they went from horrible yellow to silver/grey vans, within weeks they started to have to add reflective decals to make them stand out.

Either make the whole thing bright or add some reflective stripes!

You do not notice kids on pushbikes wearing hoodies, but do notice people in reflective jackets.

scootz

posted on 4/9/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
You do not notice kids on pushbikes wearing hoodies...

I aim for kids on pushbikes wearing hoodies!

It's Evolution Baby!

David Jenkins

posted on 4/9/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I remember an article in Custom Car (Lord, that was a long time ago!) where they drove a car in dayglo orange - they reckoned that it *attracted* other motorists, as their eyes got fixated on the super-bright car.

Might be a consignment of geriatric shoemakers*, but it doesn't sound far wrong...

* i.e. a load of old cobblers

Coopz

posted on 4/9/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
lamborghini Orange or Kawasaki green with black detailing for me!
zilspeed

posted on 4/9/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
BMW Motorsport colours.

White with a touch of dayglo to the blue and red highlights.

That'll be seen well enough.

RK

posted on 4/9/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
You are in fact Scottish, aren't you? White, because it is "cost effective", and then you can add day glo vinyl stripes or whatever suits you, for visibility. Easily changeable. In your case, you can make a sign saying "For Sale" on it, in bright letters.
scootz

posted on 4/9/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 4/9/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I remember an article in Custom Car (Lord, that was a long time ago!) where they drove a car in dayglo orange - they reckoned that it *attracted* other motorists, as their eyes got fixated on the super-bright car.

Might be a consignment of geriatric shoemakers*, but it doesn't sound far wrong...

* i.e. a load of old cobblers

I've also seen it stated that people unconsciously steer towards bright colours, can't remember where, but it wasn't in Custom Car.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tomprescott

posted on 4/9/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
How about flip paint? Then you have a range of colours that might grab attention....

I would steer well clear of silver and white for visibility, I've seen a couple of cars go straight into silver/white cars on the motorway when there was rain, if the lights aren't on they can almost completely disappear in the rain!

I think candy green is quite nice...

A bird in the hand....

norfolkluego

posted on 4/9/11 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
How about flip paint? Then you have a range of colours that might grab attention....

I would steer well clear of silver and white for visibility, I've seen a couple of cars go straight into silver/white cars on the motorway when there was rain, if the lights aren't on they can almost completely disappear in the rain!

But......... the insurance industry will tell you that statistically white cars have (proportionally) the fewest accidents

franky

posted on 4/9/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
When I change mine in the future it'll be to this...... you couldn't miss it!

http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW-Art-Car-at-Le-Mans-Main.jpg

Would look good on yours too.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/9/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
That might just confuse other people, rather like this...

iank

posted on 4/9/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
That might just confuse other people, rather like this...

Already done on unannounced cars that are being road tested.

e.g.

Maybe that pattern in mixed dynarod orange and chartreuse?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 5/9/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
And when all the vehicles become electric it can play the Awooga Waltz too

ChrisW

posted on 5/9/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
How about Triumph Roulette Green, also used as a special colour by Caterham.

My MR2....

Finished!
Finished!

Chris

[Edited on 5/9/2011 by ChrisW]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
welderman

posted on 5/9/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
DEVILS BRIDGE 27TH
DEVILS BRIDGE 27TH

MY ORANGE

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

jossey

posted on 5/9/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
lamborghini Orange or Kawasaki green with black detailing for me!

i agree!!!

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kevmcdo

posted on 5/9/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree on the Kawasaki green.

When I put my car into the local paint shop to get my car painted it sat on the forecourt for a week without as much as a second glance from most folks passing bye ( at that stage it was silver with orange wings and nose cone ), once it was painted Lime green there was a notable increase in interest from passer bye's.

The guys from the paint shop had to push it behind other cars before there was an accident due to passing cars slowing down to check it out.

Since then the guys have sprayed their own race car the same colour as a result

tomprescott

posted on 5/9/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott

But......... the insurance industry will tell you that statistically white cars have (proportionally) the fewest accidents

Forgot to add that when it starts raining I shut my eyes

Seriously though, that strikes me as odd - maybe I'm the only person but in heavy rain the whites and the silvers seem far less visible to me than darker colours if they don't have their lights on.

On the insurance front, would flip paint up your costs? One because it may be more expensive to touch up minor scratches etc. and two because it seems that a lot of boy racer yobbos like it so potentially a statistically higher chance of a crash? Just a thought...

Have to say I like the black/white diamond car.

People would probably notice if you just did super shiny polished ali......they probably wouldn't like you much though when the sun was out.

A bird in the hand....

lococost

posted on 5/9/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
pink all the way!

People WILL see you coming!
(then they'll point at you, then they'll laugh)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.