Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why hasn't this sold?
RichardK

posted on 8/9/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Why hasn't this sold?

My lads had his motor on the bay a couple of times and its not sold, so if you've got any suggestions as to why it hasn't and we've possibly missed something obvious, let us know!!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Think we shouldn't have included the picture of the ripped seat and just left it in the description and wait for them to ask for a picture if they want to see it??

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 8/9/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like a really good advert to me & a good starting price too.

Maybe its a sign of the times?? my 17 year old nephew who is a car nut has been given so many insurance quotes of over £3500/ year for standard little 1st time driver type cars that he has decided to not bother for a couple of years. Maybe this is affecting the small affordable car market ??

Good luck though, i will ask around if anyone i know is after a good little car.

dhutch

posted on 8/9/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I think i would leave the photo of the seat. Better to have less reponce than tyre kickers who are not going to buy.

However i might mention rust less.
- What you have done sounds fair, but no one wants to here about it, and it with scare people who dont know about cars.
- Instead just state it has limited rust, that have been repaired t a high leval. Or just not even that. Most people dont care about it as long as it passes an MOT!

Daniel

trextr7monkey

posted on 8/9/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno, looks like a good deal for the money, a rip in the seat on a car at that price and from that era is surely not a major issue. If possible stress the positives and as you suggest reduce the negatives to a couple of bullet points which people can ask about once they are hooked.
Perhaps e bay isn't best place - what about trying the local cruisers sites which tend to be populated, on the whole, by young people who may be tight for cash and limited in their choice by insurance costs and the ad can run for a good while until some one turns up just looking for a runaround. We use the local Cruise west Cumbria site and have boughtand sold quite a bit of stuf throught it- they don't allwear baseball caps back to front.

hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

mark chandler

posted on 8/9/11 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased a pretty much immaculate 106 independance over a year ago on a W plate for £400 for my daughter had full s/h around 80,000 miles and 4 new tyres 11 months MOT.

These do not seem to make much, not sure why as they are nice rust free cheap cars.... so price I guess

She passed her test at 09:30 in the morning, the fire brigade were cutting the roof off by 11.30 as she stuffed it up the back of a focus

norfolkluego

posted on 8/9/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
I think i would leave the photo of the seat. Better to have less reponce than tyre kickers who are not going to buy.

However i might mention rust less.
- What you have done sounds fair, but no one wants to here about it, and it with scare people who dont know about cars.
- Instead just state it has limited rust, that have been repaired t a high leval. Or just not even that. Most people dont care about it as long as it passes an MOT!

Daniel

Agree, you've sorted the rust, no need to mention it

stevebubs

posted on 8/9/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Reads like MOT until Sept 2011 at first glance.

[Edited on 8/9/11 by stevebubs]

T66

posted on 9/9/11 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just sold my Saab Turbo , was on 7 days with 23 watchers.

Answered a few emails, and texts - ended up going for £1200 on a Y plate. 290bhp absolute flying machine with all the right bits.

I was looking for around £1500 but failed, my view is people just dont want to spend their money.

If anyone else has noticed, some really good motors are not selling at all.

sign of the times.

v8kid

posted on 9/9/11 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've always had more luck using a low starting price to get watchers interested in bidding. Why not try putting it on at £100 starting and see how it goes?
Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/9/11 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say way too much information. It almost sounds like your desperate to sell it before it dies/falls apart.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

snakebelly

posted on 9/9/11 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Sign of the times im afraid, people are keeping their money in their pocket and as already been stated this is an ideal first car....except youngsters cant afford first cars becuase of the insurance rates, even with all the work and fresh MOT i reckon youll have to drop the starting price to £300 to genrate any interest and even then it might not sell im afraid. Mate of mine is a breaker and he is swimming in small cars that are fine and repairable but people scrap them rather than fork out for repairs and are doing without.....last one to leave the country please turn the lights out...:-(
DRC INDY 7

posted on 9/9/11 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
as stated above the starting price is to high very rare do you sell a item with a price that is at market value

The young chavs these days seem to want a corsa as they are cheaper to insure and look beeter than a 106/saxo this come from our own young chav at work

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/9/11 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
We have an mg zr 160 for sale and we can't give it
away

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

phelpsa

posted on 9/9/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Try 99p no reserve. It'll definitely sell and you'll more than likely get what it's worth even if its slightly disappointing to you.

fesycresy

posted on 9/9/11 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
We have an mg zr 160 for sale and we can't give it
away

Yes you can, I'll be down by 10.30, I'm always up for a free car

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/9/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Or try a classified advert? then people will contact you and make offers, some serious others daft. But it seems to generate more interest, plus it doesn't sell until you have the cash. ie stops the timewasters who bid and disappear.

And as above, way to much info. Keep it simple, not too much detail.
And be prepared to take a lower price. Only worth what people will pay and all that.

jabs

posted on 9/9/11 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
As said before to much info re the repairs, "good condition for age" and "maintained to a high standard" covers many things and too higher a starting price
tony-devon

posted on 9/9/11 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
sadly as others have said, sign of the times, the target audience cant afford to insure it

in my honest opinion, certainly for where I live anyway, £500 is too much, I paid only £200 more for an 02 plate seat ibiza with full mot, fsh, 4 new tyres, fully working all electrics and air con etc

the car market at the lower end seems to have taken a nose dive, the amount of cars I see for less than £1000 is scarey, good top specced cars

the youngsters cant afford to insure them, and probably likely that the older drivers want something bigger or with all the creature comforts

I also agree that you have tried too hard, Im a victim of this, putting too much information, trying to be too honest and helpful

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

tomgregory2000

posted on 9/9/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
its french and green nuff said
craig1410

posted on 9/9/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I agree that your description plants too many seeds of doubt due to excessive details on repairs etc. especially talk about rust and welding. Just describe the facts and highlight the positive points. "Good condition for age" covers things like minor scratches.

Also as has been said, starting price is too high. eBay is an auction site and people want a chance at least to get a bargain. Failing that they get a false sense of security when they bid against others. Nobody wants to be the sole bidder at close to market rate.

Read other ads and note popular language such as "long MOT", "low mileage", "good condition for age" and stick to that.

Good luck!

rallyingden

posted on 9/9/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
its french and green nuff said

+1

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/9/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Target audience either can't insure it (kids) or are doing without (can't afford the '2nd' car). I'm *actually* looking for a car at the moment, but I've just been amazed at what is up for sale - condition and pricewise (bad and unrealistic). Our 280K mile MK1 Mundaneo really has had it. I have no car, it's the Wife's, it must be capable of high mileage and require little attention. Getting people to accept that their tired MK2 Mundaneo, or an old Fokarse isn't 'worth' £3K means I'm a 'timewaster' when I speak realism. I've given up looking.

Please don't be too lax on any description, etc., since you'd definitely upset me if I had to discover the faults when we met.

I don't believe you're being too greedy (unlike many others), but you'll have to have a further dose of realism to get the thing sold.

Too many greedy, unrealistic people out there. From £500K 2-bed shoeboxes to £4K 10 year old rot box Transits. Ridiculous greed, and guess what, no-one seems to want to acquire the over priced crap, they're all just 'timewasters'.

RichardK

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, we'll try again following your advice!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

If for some reason you watch it will you let us know so we know the amount of genuine watchers and not the amount of nosey buggers

Missed anything obvious can you let me know asap.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Steve Hignett

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent (re the advert, not about buying it I'm afraid!)
TPG

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Seems like a really good advert to me & a good starting price too.

Maybe its a sign of the times??

Quote the above, Sadly this sums it up. That is, no money about even for a good buy.
Edit again...The amount of people that asked do you know of a cheap car for sale? £500 ish.
Answer no.Then 10 thousand turn up that don't sell!!!!??????? Its a crazy mad world at the minute.
I belivie (but don't have the danggles to do it) if you run a used front with a £500 limit you'd be rushed off you're feet.I've heard a lot of people say that the goverment £2000 thing took all the cheap cars off the market.Yet case in point thay are still out there.
I know that if you run a 5 door hatch into the 'yard at the moment you'll see £150 no worrries.So that SHOULD push the price of road legal cheap cars up....but, cheap good basic cars can't be shifted for love nor money.
Class debate.
I said debate

[Edited on 11/9/11 by TPG]

..Which was nice..

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.