Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Effect of too soft a rear spring?
scutter

posted on 9/9/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Effect of too soft a rear spring?

Folks, I've just been swapping the dampers ont he locost for some new ones suppplied by Matt at Procomp, (Excellent service as always) I'll be contacting him in the morning, but wanted to run something past the collective.

I always thought the rear spring rate on my car was 190lbs, and duly told Matt this, whilst swapping them over the springs have 130lbs written on them.

1, What effect will this have on the general handling of the car?
2, It did sometime bottom out on sharp ridges/expansion joints would this be the cause?
3, Do you all think that this would be ok or shall I order some stiffer rears?

Cheers Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 9/9/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Understeer
yes
no
yes

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 9/9/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Short and sweet cheers

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

norfolkluego

posted on 9/9/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting stuff, so along the same lines what would be the effect of stiffening the dampers
austin man

posted on 9/9/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Too hard its like riding a space hopper ask me why I know 1 was running 250's bounced around like a golf ball

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

v8kid

posted on 9/9/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Interesting stuff, so along the same lines what would be the effect of stiffening the dampers

rear only?
Initial good tiny in to first quarter of corner (say) then as before except on exiting corner will onersteer. Combined effect if to go into the hedge backwards after the corner

edit - my fingers are too big for this bliidy keyboard

cheers!

[Edited on 9-9-11 by v8kid]

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

myke pocock

posted on 9/9/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
For what its worth, when I built my car it had Spax adjustables from a Caterham. One was leaking I bought a complete set from Gaz for the same vehicle and the sticker on the rears said 1.9" x 12" X 120 LBS. It very occasionally grounds out but I can live with it and I have it set on the softest click of the adjuster as well. I had it up to 6 clicks and found that far too stiff.
matt_gsxr

posted on 9/9/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,

I run 150lbs/inch (vertical on a Phoenix) and it isn't uncomfortably hard.

I don't drive the road miles that you do, but I did Llandow and back and it was fine.

My guess is that you could go a bit stiffer, but I don't know much.

If occasional grounding is a problem then you could stick with soft springs which are great for traction and comfort but use some of those superflex bump stops, although I have no practical experience.

Matt

mad4x4

posted on 10/9/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
your bump stops should stop it grounding

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.