Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Credit card fraud
macc man

posted on 22/9/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Credit card fraud

I just had a call from my credit card security dept. It appears someone has skimmed my card and is using it to buy DELL computer parts. Last time I presented it eas to buy petrol at a Shell garage 5 miles from me. Card has been stopped and hopefully I will be reimbursed. Pain in the bum though. Make sure when you use your card they do not take it away from your sight.

samjc

posted on 22/9/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
My mum had it begining of the year over £1400 all re imbersed tho but was also for dell as well as apple products. Dell wouldnt give.me a delivery adress neither :-( so couldnt of had any fun out of it.
jossey

posted on 22/9/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
petrol stations run by the "foriegners" are bad for it.

Ive had 3 of my cards done as i buy alot of fuel due to my 1000 miles a week travelling for work. GRRRRR

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 22/9/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't virtually every garage have a "chip and pin" machine these days?
britishtrident

posted on 22/9/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently even chip & pin is compromised these days --- it just takes a brainier more cyber aware scum bag.
dlatch

posted on 22/9/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
i only pay cash in garage's these days
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macc man

posted on 22/9/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
If the government has its way it will get rid of cash, and then we will be at the crooks mercy.

jossey

posted on 22/9/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Chip and pin has not been compromised and is 100% safe. The issue is some
Garages swipe the card on the computer to match details but people tape a card reader to the till so it looks good.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/9/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
My wife had an email the other day from the bank asking if she has applied for a credit card. Apparently, someone had tried to get one in her name but couldn't answer all the questions so they emailed her to see if it was genuine. Nat West have been good with us on this and another occasion when I apprently payed for purple parking at Heathrow whilst I was busy in Swindon. neat trick if you can do it!

It's almost as common as wet weather nowadays

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Garages swipe the card on the computer to match details but people tape a card reader to the till so it looks good.

That is what the banks claim but it isn't true there have a few cases reported in the media, in one case reported by the BBC a woman civilian working for the police was arrested and taken away in handcuffs in a massive police raid on her house and prosecuted on only the word of the bank that the chip and pin system was a 100% secure, the prosecution case was totally demolished in court by an expert witness.

[Edited on 22/9/11 by britishtrident]

JoelP

posted on 22/9/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
There is also in existance a card that has a wire leading to a computer of sorts, that someone puts in the chip and pin machine and the computer basically tells the reader that a correct pin has been entered, when it hasnt.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

T66

posted on 22/9/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I got skimmed last year, only fuel at Morrisons and occasionally at a small independent setup run by young lads, and when I spoke to Morrisons they had never had a skimming occur on their site, so I wonder where it happened..

Card ended up buying buggies for Jeremy Kyle contestants in Manchester, thieving turds....

Likewise my card never leaves my sight.

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Quote From BBC News Website dated 26 October 2009

"According to a recent survey by the Consumer Association, 20% of identity fraud victims end up out of pocket.

Jane Badger is one of them. In 2006 she reported a fraudulent transaction of £772 on her Egg credit card, and fully expected to get her money back.

Instead she was arrested, her house searched, she was suspended from her job, charged with fraud by misrepresentation and taken to court.

With Professor Anderson's help, the case against her collapsed and she was acquitted although she has not got her money back.

Ms Badger said: "It's taken over my life. All I want is an apology."

The BBC asked Egg to comment on this case, but it declined. "

Full Article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/8325477.stm

Lots more on if you search on "chip and pin security" the BBC website

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

T66

posted on 22/9/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Quote From BBC News Website dated 26 October 2009

"According to a recent survey by the Consumer Association, 20% of identity fraud victims end up out of pocket.

Jane Badger is one of them. In 2006 she reported a fraudulent transaction of £772 on her Egg credit card, and fully expected to get her money back.

Instead she was arrested, her house searched, she was suspended from her job, charged with fraud by misrepresentation and taken to court.

With Professor Anderson's help, the case against her collapsed and she was acquitted although she has not got her money back.

Ms Badger said: "It's taken over my life. All I want is an apology."

The BBC asked Egg to comment on this case, but it declined. "

Full Article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/8325477.stm

Lots more on if you search on "chip and pin security" the BBC website

An observation - I very much doubt an arrest would be made if you reported having your card skimmed, there must have been some supporting intelligence to allow an arrest to be made. Only reasonable suspicion is required that the person had committed an offence, which isnt much....

Otherwise with the current problem of card skimming, the police stations would be full of credit card victims not offenders.

Thinking about it

posted on 22/9/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
i only pay cash in garage's these days

And get the card skimmed at the cash point getting the cash out

I had mine done a few years ago. they did a tester on forty quids worth of groceries at Tesco. I guess if it didnt work they could do a runner. Then went on to buy two cars at Croydon motor auction.

Imagine my suprise when i got the statement, expecting a zero balance

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
If paying cash at petrol stations I always memorise the last few digits of any large value notes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

morcus

posted on 23/9/11 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
Cash isn't that much safer. Not only are there large numbers of forgeries but it's also much easier to nick and as said you've got to get the cash in the first place and a private ATM is more likely to be used to scam you than a petrol station. Another issue that doesn't come up much but what if the garage takes your real money and claims its fake? Legally, shops are obliged to confiscate forged notes, and the problem is worse if they've got some fakes to swap it with.

I buy most of my fuel from Tesco, but mostly because I get it when I do my shopping. Most people I know who've had their card scammed has been from small petrol stations.

I'm surprised there aren't large numbers of people abusing contactless to rob people, some of the machines will read a card through a pocket, wallet and a few other cards (I tested this).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

BenB

posted on 23/9/11 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey

Chip and pin isn't safe. The theory was that the machines are "unhackable". Which of course is wrong. There's a nice example somewhere on one of the geeky websites of one PDQ machine playing tetris.

And I seem to recall a couple of years back Asda got hit in quite a big manner when it was revealed that the machines had been shipped out with a Trojan on them....

Nothings 100% safe.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.